Is 128 MB of RAM enough for usr_devx.sfs?

Booting, installing, newbie
Raven

Is 128 MB of RAM enough for usr_devx.sfs?

#1 Post by Raven »

Hi!

I'm trying to get usr_devx.sfs installed so I can compile stuff. I'm using a 128mb stick, is that large enough? Whenever I try to put it in the right directory (mnt/home?) it says there isn't room, even after a completely clean install, how and where do I put it?

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

usr_devx.sfs is 45MB in size, you don't say what Puppy version your using but most are <60MB, which leaves ~20MB free.
You don't say what /mnt/home is... a HD or the USB drive, the pup001 file is usually 256MB, & it won't fit on your USB.
To fit Puppy & the pup001 file & the usr_devx.sfs file the USB would have to be a 512MB drive, or a smaller pup001 file.

/mnt/home with pup001 is where the usr_devx.sfs file goes, you need more free space on it, it's probably a HD.

Raven

#3 Post by Raven »

I'm booting everything off the USB, I'm also using the standard version of the latest puppy (1.0.8?). I'd assumed that puppy was about 60mb in size so there should be plenty of room for it, I don't want to have much else installed on puppy. Is there anyway to resize the puppy100 and make it smaller?

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Raven

#5 Post by Raven »

Thanks for the help MU but neither of those worked, I ended up downloading it and putting it onto the driver before using the USB wizard then I selected 'n' when it asked to wipe the drive. Bingo, small Pup100 but basic programming system is born (at least until I get a 512mb flash drive).

sunburnt

#6 Post by sunburnt »

Raven; You've never said if you have a HD on the PC you're using, if so you can put these files in C:\

pup100
usr_cram.fs
usr_drvx.sfs

Only vmlinuz (kernel) & image.gz (root file system) & boot files are needed on the USB, freeing it's space.