Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 09:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Lightweight download manager, but with following features
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Mysp

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul 2010, 16:52    Post subject:  Lightweight download manager, but with following features  

I have tried several (standalone) download managers in Puppy, including wxDownload Fast (not very stable, missing some features important for me: see later, some features implemented in "ugly" way), uget: quite promising, good interface but two key features for me still missing (being on todo list).
For several month, I am now using DownloadThemAll plugin for Firefox. I really like it: it small (about 450 KB), good interface and functions, but still missing two features, which now become even more important. There are:

1. Scheduling of download queue (start download at specific time, e. g. at 22:00)
2. When all downloads are complete, power off computer.

Other key features (DownloadThemAll have them):
A. Import list of downloads from TXT file (or at least ability to add several links at once via clipboard)
B. Automatic login to several servers with given username/password (DownlloadThemAll solve this via the Firefox itself, but standalone manager must have this as built-in function).

Helpful, but not essential: ability to set limit for download bandwidth (speed limit).

Features I do NOT need:
- segmented download (several part of file in parallel),
- multiple queues (categorized downloads),
- recursive download for given URL ( all links to certain deep from the file)
- Metalink or BittTorrent support
- file browser, automatic archive files unpack etc..

Could you recommend me some program for Puppy?
Or could be missing features (or at least No. 1) added to DownloadThemAll via some scripts+cron+....?

Thank you very much in advance.
lapis

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 02:05    Post subject: Re: Lightweight download manager, but with following feature  

Mysp wrote:

1. Scheduling of download queue (start download at specific time, e. g. at 22:00)

My favourite download manager is the old Aria with GUI. (Don't confuse it with the newer commandline Aria2c which is very powerful but commandline only.) I really don't understand why development of this was stopped as it is a great tool.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6733

Aria has an inbuilt scheduler which will start and stop the downloads according to the timer settings.

Quote:
2. When all downloads are complete, power off computer.

Aria can run command scripts when downloads complete or the timer expires.

Not sure if the shutdown process is the same in every Puppy version but in mine it is the following:
Code:
/sbin/poweroff

Just add that in the main Application Option section and your computer will shutdown just like it was chosen from the menu.

Quote:
Other key features (DownloadThemAll have them):
A. Import list of downloads from TXT file (or at least ability to add several links at once via clipboard)

There are various ways to add downloads including opening a URL list text file and pasting a URL list directly. However, Aria automatically integrates with Flashgot in Firefox/Seamonkey and with the Firefox Linkification addon I find it easier to load the links directly from the browser.

Quote:
B. Automatic login to several servers with given username/password (DownlloadThemAll solve this via the Firefox itself, but standalone manager must have this as built-in function).

Aria does that. You can create several download lists each using a different username/password combo.

Quote:
Helpful, but not essential: ability to set limit for download bandwidth (speed limit).

Aria does that too. You can set different default limitations for each download list and over-ride any individual download at will.

Quote:
Features I do NOT need:
- segmented download (several part of file in parallel),
- multiple queues (categorized downloads),
- recursive download for given URL ( all links to certain deep from the file)

Unfortunately Aria does a lot of that stuff too. Wink

Also mentioned in that thread above is another download manager: D4X. It is pretty powerful but I haven't really used it so don't know it capabilities but it might be another option. There is also Jdownloader if you have java installed.

However, Aria is small and lightweight compared to those and may not be the prettiest but it does most of what is needed by me.
Mysp

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jul 2010, 08:46    Post subject: Re: Aria1 is very good, few questions about certain options  

Thank you for your tip. Aria1 is very good.
At first, it was quite difficult to get oriented in, not only because of so many configuration options, but also because how are they divided in application options, new list option and current list options. (E. g. I set something in New list option - as it also default name of new list - and did not know why it did not work for me. Only then I have discovered that my options need to be done in current list options menu.
I certainly do not know all options and functions, but now I know what I need (mostly). But there are still few problems:
1. The most important is: what option (and how) to set to preserve original names of download files. When I am downloading from server with redirection, the file is saved with cryptic names (e. g. ed64c0d848d131560c3d2f34c1dd4569ab097b8d instead of image001.jpg. It is very difficult and time consuming to rename all files back after download.
2. The default font used by Aria is very small (ant thin too) and therefore very hard to read for me on my monitor. i have found in Readme, it can be changed in Aria configuration file. However, it is (I guess) some kind of XML file and "medium" it the keyword to be changed. But to what? (large?). And number (font size?) in next tag should be changed to, or not?
3. Is somewhere some documentation (besides Readme file inside) for Aria1 available for download? (Of course, the original web does not work.)

I would greatly appreciate if you know answers to my questions.
Once more thank you very much.
lapis

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jul 2010, 14:09    Post subject: Re: Aria1 is very good, few questions about certain options  

Mysp wrote:
new list option and current list options. (E. g. I set something in New list option - as it also default name of new list - and did not know why it did not work for me. Only then I have discovered that my options need to be done in current list options menu.

Yes, the default settings for creating new lists are separate from those of current lists. When I create a "New List" I like to rename it to something more meaningful.

Quote:
1. The most important is: what option (and how) to set to preserve original names of download files. When I am downloading from server with redirection, the file is saved with cryptic names (e. g. ed64c0d848d131560c3d2f34c1dd4569ab097b8d instead of image001.jpg.

This is strange, because I have seen that type of file name result sometimes when I have used Wget (and I don't use Wget for that reason) but have never seen it in Aria. Normally I have not seen Aria get the file name wrong with the exception of downloading from megashares.com where I get all the files called index.php.
I know I originally fiddled with settings in the HTTP/HTTPS section with referrer and user agent. I don't know if that did anything as I don't understand this stuff and it was years ago. However, Aria2c gets the names right out of the box so maybe compare the defaults of that with Aria.

If you want to send me an example download site, I can try it and see if I get the same as you.

Quote:
2. The default font used by Aria is very small (ant thin too) and therefore very hard to read for me on my monitor. i have found in Readme, it can be changed in Aria configuration file. However, it is (I guess) some kind of XML file and "medium" it the keyword to be changed. But to what? (large?). And number (font size?) in next tag should be changed to, or not?

This is quite funny because at some point I deleted the file called /root/.aria/rc.aria and I found the fonts became perfect for me (Sans-serif and perfect size). I have no idea why unless they then pick up the system fonts, but maybe you could try it too. (keep a backup of course). Otherwise, if you change the numbers in rc.aria from 12 to 16 then the fonts will be larger but I don't know how to change them from Serif to Sans-serif apart from deleting the file completely. No harm in fiddling with the settings.

Quote:
3. Is somewhere some documentation (besides Readme file inside) for Aria1 available for download?

I have never seen one myself as I didn't need the really advanced options. Maybe you could try asking here as they seem to be still active with Aria:
http://aria-rpm.vookimedlo.cz/

Just something else that might be worth looking at if you have Java installed, the Retriever download manager looks like it does the things you want. I have never used it but it is very light-weight when compared to the other java download manager, Jdownloader.
http://www.halogenware.com/software/retriever.html
Mysp

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug 2010, 18:07    Post subject: Re4: Aria 1: thank you for you advice...
Subject description: Problems (almost) solved.

Thank you very much for you advice. I used them quite soon, but I was very busy last two weeks, therefore I am responding only today.

1. Very small font in Aria: solved by your advice (deleting rc.aria)
It is strange solution, but it really helped! Font in Aria is still smaller then in other applications in Puppy, but certainly much better.

2. Preserving original names of download files: partly solved
It was some try -> not solved -> another try... I have tried to set many options without success.
Finally I choose menu Options, Default item option for new list.
Here in dialog box there is tab marked as "URL": "Save as"
a) I leave text box for filename empty, AND b) Sync with URL (check box = yes)
This is not 100percent solution because it take filename from URL, therefore filenames look like "picture.jpg.htm", "somearchive.zip.htm" etc. But of course, it is much easier to get rid of "double extensions" instead of dealing with cryptic filenames like " ed64c0d848d131560c3d2f34c1dd4569ab097b8d".

>If you want to send me an example..., I can try it and see if I get the same as you
If you are still willing (and able: see bellow) to experiment with downloads to solve it completely, here are few download links. But I am afraid, you do not have paid account at Netload (Netload is server I have problems with cryptic filenames). The first two links are single image (photo) files, 3rd is checksum file. I have some other ZIPs (1 file = many photos in each) for downloads, but for test these ones are the best, because the files are quite small.

Code:
http://www.netload.in/dateiju5ZvRV3rO/imm003_1.jpg.htm
http://www.netload.in/dateinuWFC675TA/imm004_2.jpg.htm
http://www.netload.in/dateiiZfm7OhCZf/20100605a.sfv.htm

3. Problems with shutdown after downloads: solved
Meanwhile, I solved problem with shutdown. I have poweroff in sbin, too (/sbin/poweroff). But it does not work: it looks like the command try to do something, but PC stay on and did not react to keyboard or mouse (reset is necessary). I tried poweroff also in console (in rxvt) with the same unwanted result. Using PFind I have found there is poweroff and also wmpoweroff. I do not know what is the real difference between these 2 commands, but for me it looks like in GUI (with X.Org running), only wmpoweroff works.
(Strangely enough, in Puppy 4, I have only one wmpoweroff file in /usr/X11R7/bin/,
in Quirky, there are two: in /usr/X11R7/bin/ and in /usr/bin (the second file is larger), I used this one.)

Once more thank you very much,
I certainly stay with Aria 1 for near future.
lapis

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 09:27    Post subject: Re: Re4: Aria 1: thank you for you advice...
Subject description: Problems (almost) solved.

Mysp wrote:
Font in Aria is still smaller then in other applications in Puppy, but certainly much better.

If the font is still too small after deleting the /root/rc.aria file then you will have to keep /root/rc.aria and change the font sizes within it. When I changed them from 12 to 16 the fonts became much larger but maybe you need to go higher still.

When I get some spare time I'll try and play with the rc.aria file and see if I can figure out what best to change. I must have been lucky as the fonts were a good size for me.

Okay, I have had a play with the rc.aria file. You can easily alter font sizes and styles. Look at the following segment:
Code:
fontset="-*-*-medium-r-normal--12

"12" is the font size. A higher number means a larger font.
"r" can be changed to "i" for italic and "o" for oblique.
"medium" can be changed to "bold" if no font style is specified.
The * immediately before "medium" can be changed to the name of a font that you have on your system. For instance, for the helvetica font you would do:
Code:
fontset="-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, -*-*-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

or for DejaVu font:
Code:
fontset="-*-DejaVu Sans-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, -*-*-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

You only need to change the first occurrence in each line. The second appears to work as a fallback in case the first combination is not valid.

The first fontset is used for the main screen and the second fontset (called "text") is used for things like the open file dialogs.

You can see a list of the fonts you have available on your system by searching for fonts.dir and opening them as a text file. For example:
Code:
/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/fonts.dir
/root/.fonts/fonts.dir

I hope that helps.

Quote:
it take filename from URL, therefore filenames look like "picture.jpg.htm", "somearchive.zip.htm" etc. But of course, it is much easier to get rid of "double extensions" instead of dealing with cryptic filenames like " ed64c0d848d131560c3d2f34c1dd4569ab097b8d".

Netload is server I have problems with cryptic filenames

I am sorry, I had forgotten about Netload. I remember I had the same problem as you. Not many downloaders seem to work with it. I tested Aria2c and it does pick up the file name correctly even if you just use the short url http://www.netload.in/dateiju5ZvRV3rO.htm but unfortunately Aria2c is command line only.

With regard to Aria itself, I have an idea that might possibly help you a little bit with using Aria and Netload.

When you select "Default Item Option for Current List" then go to the "Command" tab. Then check "Execute the following command after download". Then enter something like the following command:
Code:
rename jpg.htm jpg *.htm

or even
Code:
rename .htm "" *.htm

That might make things a bit quicker and depending on what you download could be altered to suit and at least do the renaming automatically.
http://ss64.com/bash/rename.html

I'll have a play around later and see if I can find something else that might work more directly. There is a Server Template option that looks to me like it might be good for something but I don't know what yet as I don't understand it at all. It's a shame there are no instructions for this program.
npierce

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug 2010, 00:12    Post subject:  

This may not add anything to what you have already discovered, but for what it's worth . . .

Curious about the discussion of filenames in this thread, I tested four download managers with a couple of URLs of the type that usually result in cryptic filenames.

The download managers:

First I tried downloading an attachment from this forum, aria-1.0.0-16.1.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=29578

The resulting filenames were as follows:

wget: viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=29578
Uget: viewtopic.php
Aria: viewtopic.php
Aria2: aria-1.0.0-16.1.pet

Then I tried one of the example URLs given above by Mysp:

http://www.netload.in/dateinuWFC675TA/imm004_2.jpg.htm

I followed the slow "free download" links until eventually a link to the image appeared. That link (which was only a temporary link) was:

http://85.131.134.2/da9c16ae452a6569632db2a375e1fa2ceaa7fe3d

The resulting filenames were:

wget: da9c16ae452a6569632db2a375e1fa2ceaa7fe3d
Uget: da9c16ae452a6569632db2a375e1fa2ceaa7fe3d
Aria: da9c16ae452a6569632db2a375e1fa2ceaa7fe3d
Aria2: imm004_2.jpg

So it looks like Aria2 might be of use for such problem URLs, even though it may not have all of the features that you would like for general use.
Newcrest

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug 2010, 05:04    Post subject:  

npierce wrote:

Curious about the discussion of filenames in this thread, I tested four download managers with a couple of URLs of the type that usually result in cryptic filenames.

First I tried downloading an attachment from this forum, aria-1.0.0-16.1.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=29578

The resulting filenames were as follows:

wget: viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=29578
Uget: viewtopic.php
Aria: viewtopic.php
Aria2: aria-1.0.0-16.1.pet

Nice systematic presentation there! This has also been bugging me. It apparently has to do with the website only using the real file name in association with something called server-specified Content-Disposition.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58444

You can add the recent versions of Curl to your list as a downloader that does deal with this correctly. Now it has a new switch:
Code:
-J/--remote-header-name
(HTTP) This option tells the -O/--remote-name option to use the server-specified Content-Disposition filename instead of extracting a filename from the URL.

I also tried D4X, Axel and Retriever and none of them get the correct file name either.

Unfortunately comparing Aria and Aria2 is like comparing a Honda car with a Honda motorcycle, both can transport you around but have very different comfort levels and capabilities. They should have been named differently, it would cause less confusion and might have led to Aria being developed further. Given that Aria2c probably uses similar base code to do the downloading it would be good if there were someone capable of adding the needed code to Aria for recognising content disposition. Well, I can dream.

Last edited by Newcrest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 08:23; edited 2 times in total
Newcrest

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug 2010, 08:22    Post subject:  

I did a search within the Aria2 code and I think I found the place where it determines the correct file name.

From /src/HttpResponse.cc
Code:
std::string HttpResponse::determinFilename() const
{
  std::string contentDisposition =
    util::getContentDispositionFilename
    (httpHeader_->getFirst(HttpHeader::CONTENT_DISPOSITION));
  if(contentDisposition.empty()) {
    std::string file = util::percentDecode(httpRequest_->getFile());
    if(file.empty()) {
      return "index.html";
    } else {
      return file;
    }
  } else {
    if(logger_->info()) {
      logger_->info(MSG_CONTENT_DISPOSITION_DETECTED,
                    util::itos(cuid_).c_str(), contentDisposition.c_str());
    }
    return contentDisposition;
  }
}
Mysp

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug 2010, 17:02    Post subject: Many thanks to all contributors
Subject description: Now it is really 99% solved.

I want to give many thanks to all contributors to this post. I cannot express precisely (especially with my limited English) how much I appreciate all the help. In particular lapis certainly spent much time with several consecutive responses, but posts from npierce and Newcrest are also very good clarification of the topic how different programs handle download.

By the way, I think, that people at Puppy Linux forum are very helpful in general. And this is another important reason why I like Puppy Linux.

From the last post of lapis, the hint to use (and how to use) rename was the most important for me. I am still quite new to Linux. In last year I have learned quite a lot of Linux commands, but apparently not enough. Originally I used PRename (GUI utility in Puppy). PRename works OK, but for repeated tasks is a little inconvenient. Therefore I tried to use console, but without success. I used only mv - being convinced that mv is the only (available) command for both move and rename. I spent about 2 hours with man pages and other articles about mv. But it seems so, that mv cannot rename multiple file "in place".

Therefore, I was just about to place new post "how to rename multiple files with wildcards in the same directory". At the same time, the post of lapis with solutions appeared. Besides, rename is very useful command in general.

(Regarding Server Template option, I have noticed it, too. But I have no idea, how to use it. If you are willing to experiment with it, it would be nice. But it is not necessary. The solution with "rename" is little bit of "roundabout", but it works.)

To sum up: 1) Aria1 is program which suite all my current needs for download and I can recommend it for other, too. Maybe (because of so many options) it is not so easy to configure for the first time. But it is very flexible and (unlike some other programs I tried before) it is reliable and light.
2) With kindly help of others, I almost completely solved all problems. Once more, thanks a lot.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: