run-mozilla.sh line 131 crash

Please post any bugs you have found
pin117

run-mozilla.sh line 131 crash

#1 Post by pin117 »

Hi there,

I had to install FireFox (latest version) on puppy but it crashes randomly all the time with -D message: "/root/firefox/run-mozilla.sh line 131: [rand no] Killed 1+"$@"}

The [rand no] is sometimes 4298 and 6091 etc.

I googled the "run-mozilla.sh line 131" and saw that many ppl have that error and others not. But untill now I couldnt find any resolution for it. :-(

Since puppy is quite a good system I would use and I hope someone here can help me to figure out that error.

DMcCunney

Re: run-mozilla.sh line 131 crash

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

pin117 wrote:Hi there,

I had to install FireFox (latest version) on puppy but it crashes randomly all the time with -D message: "/root/firefox/run-mozilla.sh line 131: [rand no] Killed 1+"$@"}

The [rand no] is sometimes 4298 and 6091 etc.

I googled the "run-mozilla.sh line 131" and saw that many ppl have that error and others not. But untill now I couldnt find any resolution for it. :-(

Since puppy is quite a good system I would use and I hope someone here can help me to figure out that error.
How did you install it, and how are you running it?

Line 131 in my run-mozilla.sh script is part of a moz_run_program function defined in the script. The random number you see in the error is probably a Linux process ID number for the process, and generally will be different time.

Here, Firefox 3.6 lives in /usr/lib/firefox. It's run by the firefox script, which ultimately runs the binary firefox-bin. The firefox script is symlinked into /usr/bin to put it in the PATH and make it callable from the command line.

I run Firefox 3.6 on a Puppy 4.31 installation, but the same things were true running Firefox 3.5 under Puppy 4.12.

Firefox has occasionally crashed on me, but the failure occurred in the executing firefox-bin binary, not in a script.
______
Dennis

pin117

#3 Post by pin117 »

I dont have /usr/lib/firefox in my /usr/lib/ is just mozilla that open seamonkey.

The way how I start firefox is just "firefox" or "firefox - D" and doesnt matter, crashs all.

Could it be a memory problem?

darwinev0lved

#4 Post by darwinev0lved »

Anybody got any other ideas? I've been getting a lot of firefox crashes, so I started running it from the console, so I could see what happened when it died:

/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 25309 Killed "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

I read that it might be linked to flash - but I have flashblock and noscript installed and it seems to be pretty random.

Oh, almost forgot! Running LuPup 501. Firefox installed via quickpet and now 3.6.6

Any suggestions / solutions gratefully received!

Regards,
Jon

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

Always start by mentioning your machine specs.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

darwinev0lved

#6 Post by darwinev0lved »

Béèm wrote:Always start by mentioning your machine specs.
OK, here they are:
Samsung X05 laptop
Pentium M 1500
765 MB ram
Frugal install running of a USB memory stick.

Any ideas?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

As pin117 has the problem, I try to help him.
It's not that someone has a similar problem that he has to intervene in a thread unless pin117 and darwinv0lved are one and the same person.
Time savers:

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Folks,

I'd still be more apt to say that the fault lies with Flash being the cause of Firefox crashing in this case. Which version of Flash do you have installed? 9.0? 10? One of the 10's with a zillion numbers after it?

My point is: Flash has been - IMVHO - ultra-unstable ever since Macromedia gave it up and passed it over to Adobe... whatever.

This is how I've worked around the situation: I've gone to the "Addon Mozilla" site ( not sure of the URL nor the name but it's where you find the majority of Firefox plugins/extentions ) and installed the "QuickJava Extention". Now what this does is allows you, from the bottom statusbar of the browser, to turn off/on several plugins, from Flash to Java, Silverlight to CSS and so forth. This way I can enable these options ONLY when needed and thus have a far more stable browsing experience. :)

I hope this has helped you both?

@Beem: Salut mon bon ami! :)

Cheers!/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

darwinev0lved

#9 Post by darwinev0lved »

Well yes flash is pants.

As it happens I'm using version 10,1,53,64

Thanks for the plugin suggestion. I'll see if that helps.
I thought the whole point of the latest firefox is that is was supposed to sandbox flash so that if it crashed it didn't take down the browser.

Sigh.

Still not sure it was a flash problem - like I said, I'd already got noscript and flashblock installed. But we shall see

Thanks.

Béèm

#10 Post by Béèm »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hi Folks,
@Beem: Salut mon bon ami! :)

Cheers!/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
Bonjour.
Ca va chez vous?
Pas trop chaud?
Bien à toi.

Bernard
Time savers:

Terryphi

#11 Post by Terryphi »

pin117: I have seen the same problem as you describe on Lupu 5.0 but not on Quirky 120. I attempted to use the auto-upgrade feature in Firefox to upgrade to Firefox 3.66. This worked perfectly in Quirky but produced the result you described in Lupu. I tried several times in Lupu using a backup of the earlier save file but always had the same result.

Béèm

#12 Post by Béèm »

pin117 wrote:I dont have /usr/lib/firefox in my /usr/lib/ is just mozilla that open seamonkey.

The way how I start firefox is just "firefox" or "firefox - D" and doesnt matter, crashs all.

Could it be a memory problem?
You didn't reply to some of DmcCunney's questions.
Also in order to reply on your question if it could be a memory problem, we should know your machine specs, isn't this logic?
Time savers:

BadFish

#13 Post by BadFish »

First post...I had the same problem.....I racked my brain on this for about an hour......Suprised everyone asked for system specs, looked to code......Create a swap file. system solved :

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile

The problem is that many versions.....maybe all of em, of puppy don't have a swap file, so the moment you have too much data....BOOM....the browser crashes. I have 512mb of DDR2, and added a 1 gig swap. Right now I'm on this forum, Xchat, have a 16 minute youtube open, a 45 minute Vimeo open, and have a few pesky flash ads.

My advise is someone in the Puppy community needs to make swap files a normal part of the install process.....it's fine and dandy to have an OS that is the smallest and fastest...but unless U are trying to advertise to people that only read ebooks in txt form...

8-bit

#14 Post by 8-bit »

The problem with making a swap file that I see is that it should be optional and not default.
The reason being that when puppy is booted as a live CD/DVD on a PC containing another OS that one wants to repair or look at, Puppy should not create anything on that hard drive without your knowledge and leave the hard drive in the same state it was before Puppy was booted.

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Mozilla site was down for me... :x

NSA finally killed free web browsing..

bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Ted Dog wrote:Mozilla site was down for me... :x

NSA finally killed free web browsing..
Mozilla site is up for me.