Genealogy software - request for a Pupget/Petget

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
davids45

#21 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
A brief update on some Windows family history programs.
The semi-most-recent version of wine in Pet form, wine-1.1.7, rectifies the erratic fonts problem with PAF5.
Legacy 6 still just about opens but stalls for me when it tries to call up a html page and wine wants to load the gecko rendering engine which does not seem to work, even with winetricks.
Legacy 4 will load under wine-1.1.7 (the password is "history") and import a GEDCOM. Display is a bit crude however.
Roots Magic 3 still looks reasonable under wine, with Roots Magic 4 soon to be released.
David S.

Henry

removed

#22 Post by Henry »

RootsMagic 4
Last edited by Henry on Sun 08 Feb 2009, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Duplicate removed

#23 Post by Henry »

RootsMagic 4
Last edited by Henry on Mon 12 Jan 2009, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#24 Post by Henry »

RootsMagic 4 is out in a pre-beta trial now. The GUI seems improved. Definitely not ready for real use, but appears to maybe run OK with wine.

37fleetwood

#25 Post by 37fleetwood »

I don't mean to get off topic at all but does anyone know if any of these possibilities is compatible with Windows programs like Familytree Maker. my aunt has our genealogy tracked back to around 800 A.D. and it would be fun if the databases were compatible.
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

Henry

#26 Post by Henry »

Yes, these and most such programs use GEDCOM files.

(GEDCOM, an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication, is a specification for exchanging genealogical data between different genealogy software)

There may be problems linking attached photos, but the basic data is no problem.

37fleetwood

#27 Post by 37fleetwood »

thanks!
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

davids45

#28 Post by davids45 »

G'day genies,

Another update on Wine and Windows genealogical programs.
I have now Wine-1.1.40 installed in a few recent Pups and have no problems running Roots Magic 4 (as the free trial) and PAF5.

I have installed the Mozilla Gecko cab file to /usr/share/wine/gecko - this sometimes had come up via a wine dialog box as being needed. I now get Legacy 6 to at least start, open a family data file, and take new text data. It won't shut down correctly when, I assume, the prompt for a backup occurs.

I have not tried adding media data or files to these programs which is a problem sometimes reported with these under wine.

So for these very good Windows genealogy programs, wine is getting better, on the whole, but it is still possibly safer to do your basic stuff on your dual-boot Windows and just look at the data on Puppy/wine.

David S.

sullysat

#29 Post by sullysat »

ttuuxxx compiled a Geneology program for Puppy. It is available at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =491195689
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

davids45

#30 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

If you've read through this thread, you'll notice a number of mentions of the Windows-based genealogy program 'Legacy' and a similar number of regrets that it doesn't quite run in Wine.

So I'm very happy to post that green_dome's semi-latest wine pet installed in a number of Puppies on my desktop now enables Legacy to open, edit and save substantial files of family history. I use Legacy 6 so I don't know if Legacy 7, the newest version, will also work.

It is important to put the required .cab file in the right gecko directory.

I expect green_dome's latest wine pet of wine-1.2 will also enable Legacy6, but I haven't had a chance to try wine-1.2 yet.

David S.

zippytex

windows and succesful genealogy programs

#31 Post by zippytex »

Let's see....Windows and Successful.........does not compute. I have used Paf, Roots and Ancestral Quest. Windows itself screws up all of them.

Roots has the best thing. Roots on a usb stick, the program and your data. At least when Windows does foul up, your data and program can plug into any computer.

Please, I want to use Puppy, but it we can not get gramps to work, I will go to Ubuntu. Anyone know of a pet for 5.1.1? Thanks in advance to all you smart people.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

davids45

#32 Post by davids45 »

G'day zippytex,

Sorry to hear you've had problems with Windows and certain genealogy software.

I tried this pet of Gramps (but not in 5.1.1):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49722

but I prefer other programs for holding & displaying my family history data.

David S.

Henry

RootsMagic & wine

#33 Post by Henry »

RootsMagic v.4 is arguably the best genealogy software. I have used it and its predecessors for years. It's for Win2k. XP, etc. I run puppy QNop 1.2 only now, and for some time I used VirtualBox also, mainly just for this program.

I dropped Vbox recently and now run RootsMagic on wine-1.1.39-p4.pet. There are some limitations: I can't display attached pdf documents inside RootsMagic (jpgs are fine) and some of the auxiliary internet links don't work.

I do have hopes of getting the pdf display to work (any ideas?) and it generates pdf reports of course. For data entry and maintenance, everything else AFAIK - it's fine.

Of course I run it in /mnt/home/ to keep it out of the save file. If you're moving it from a windows installation you'll need to do a search and replace to get the addresses of pictures and pdfs right for the new folder name.

zeke varg

#34 Post by zeke varg »

davids45 wrote:G'day zippytex,

I tried this pet of Gramps (but not in 5.1.1):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49722

but I prefer other programs for holding & displaying my family history data.

David S.
Has anyone else tried this Gramps pet and have any comments on it? I guess the essence is, is there any other Gramps pets out there that are more stable/recent?

For sure, having Gramps on a netbook running Puppy must be a powerful ally for genealogists on the go, being able to bring a compact workstation without sacrificing neither speed nor flexibility and versatility...

Pelo

Gramps full iso 2014

#35 Post by Pelo »

Gramps full iso
Description

Gramps is a genealogy program for Linux, Windows, Mac, and FreeBSD that allows you to easily build and keep track of your family tree. It supports the GEDCOM standard, allows fine grained privacy controls and can generate many different types of reports (descendant trees, graphs, connection diagrams, ....)
Attachments
gramps.jpg
(36.92 KiB) Downloaded 325 times

zippytex

gramps and roots4

#36 Post by zippytex »

The following gramps pets provided by muggins works for me. See,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68580

Also, Roots 4 works quite well with wine, but I cannot get Roots 5 or Roots 6 to work, something about GTK+????

I do not need all the bells and whistles. Gramps is my favorite for most things, but Roots 4 makes the best print-outs. When I am ready to print, I just transfer over to Roots 4. It's a small price to pay for not having to use windows.

I installed slako on my Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 and it flies like the wind!!! :)

I don't know much about Linux, but you can learn a lot right on this forum. Thanks to all.

Pelo

ohmiGene works ... with Vividpup !

#37 Post by Pelo »

ohmiGene works ... with Vividpup !
I tried ohmiGene in the past. Something was always getting wrong. 2015, this application seems to run without bug ! Thanks Esmourguit. as I am french it will not be difficult to fulfill cells..
I was used to Gramps.
It's just a play. If you want to do it well, you will spend days and days, and you will not have time left to linux a little bit.
Attachments
ohmiGene.png
Birth is entered, the first step !
(85.43 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

Pelo

Try Ancestris (Java application)

#38 Post by Pelo »

Try Ancestris (Java application)
I try to make from Debian package a Pet or Puppy Linux.
Feed back soon.
Gramps by .. puppy 4.3.1
Attachments
Alvarez.jpg
With Slacko 5.3.3
(92.54 KiB) Downloaded 106 times