Using Globetrotter HSDPA Module Network Card

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
HadishBob

Using Globetrotter HSDPA Module Network Card

#1 Post by HadishBob »

I ran the network wizard for hours and tried to get connected but to no avail. Puppy only recognizes the wlan0 device and so I assumed that was it.

But then I tried GPRS connection and that worked, but only after I put the proper settings in.

PUPPY VERSION - 4.31 and also 5.01
Fujitsu Siemens Laptop
2Ghz CPU
768MB Memory
80GB Harddisk
Atheros Wireless Adapter
Globetrotter HSDPA Module Network Card(The modem that connects via GPRS!)

So when I try and configure GPRS it was asking me for password and APN and all this kind of thing, so for this you must reboot to windows Vista or XP if you have that and get the following items from the HSDPA settings in Device Manager in Windows.

PASSWORD:
USERNAME:
PHONE NUMBER:
PHONE PIN:
APN:

The APN is just a string or address. Here it is just "Internet" but you can easily get it from the Globetrotter Connect software program in windows.

The other settings are harder and require you to go into the device properties page in Device Manager. On this machine there are funny strings for Username and Password that have Unicode characters so I saved to UTF8 format text file so I could copy and paste once I rebooted to linux.

The Phone Pin is the same one you use with Globetrotter Connect software.

Other than that there was nothing else to do. It is just a case of using GPRS to connect, and then filling in the right settings. If you get a setting wrong you might find the modem stops working alltogether, and so you can just turn the PC off for ten seconds and then restart. Seriously, if you just reboot, the modem will not even appear in Windows, well maybe as Unknown Device or something like that.

So if you have PPY431 or PPY501(LUPU) then you can just boot up a fresh RAM boot, and then go to Internet Connection Wizard, and then Select GPRS connection, and finally fill in the correct details that you got from windows.

Now with the HSDPA and the Fujitsu Siemens it can be temperamental so you can use the FN/Wireless Keys to toggle the modem on off. That is if you connect and it seems to connect but all the IP address is wrong, then use the keyboard to toggle the modems power and then retry. It works! I am now posting this from Puppy Linux 501 after wasting all the night with the wlan0" dialogs in the network setup wizard!!!

Fabio T

#2 Post by Fabio T »

I'll found another solution to connect Internet with HSDPA and a OPTION Globetrotter interface from my ASUS notebook.
It uses wvdial program and a few script, like other distros i've seen in Internet.
I don't like PGPRS, i prefer to use wvdial program, not wvdial's GUI interface.

Quickly I'll post files to use to connect correctly (I am an Italian Vodafone customer)
Last edited by Fabio T on Sat 17 Jul 2010, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Fabio T

#3 Post by Fabio T »

These files can launch a connection via wvdial program,

To start you can create this SCRIPT, with name HSDPA, in the directory /root/my-applications:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x7601
cp /etc/hsdpa.conf /etc/wvdial.conf
cp /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial.bak /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial
/sbin/route del default
rxvt -exec wvdial

Obviously you must write exact product code of your OPTION interface (this is the one in my SONY VAIO, you can obtain with HARDINFO or PUPSCAN programs), sometimes the last line works (in various PUPPY version) with this syntax:

rxvt -e wvdial

You can copy this script to your desktop to launch easily Internet Connection with a single click from desktop.

You can create in directory /etc/ppp/peers a file called wvdial with these lines:

plugin passwordfd.so
noauth
name wvdial
noipdefault
nomagic
usepeerdns
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
nomp
noccp
nopredictor1
novj
novjccomp
nobsdcomp

Then, copy this file to wvdial.bak, to mantain a secure copy.

Now, you can create in /etc/ a configuration file called hsdpa.conf, like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 115200
Init1 =
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.omnitel.it"
Carrier Check = yes
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = *99***1#
Username = guest
Password = guest
Stupid Mode = yes
Auto Reconnect = yes

[Dialer isp2]
Phone =
Username =
Password =
Stupid Mode = no
Auto Reconnect = yes

[Dialer pin]
Init1 = AT+CPIN=

[Dialer apn]
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.omnitel.it"

[Dialer wireless]
#To force only 2G or 3G, uncomment the Init4 line and append 0 (2G) or 2 (3G), and substitute your operator's name for MYOPS.
#Init4 = AT+COPS=0,0,"MYOPS",
#To force the 3G quality of service level, uncomment the Init6/Init7 line pair and set value two places each, for 384k/144k/64k, omitting the "k" (e.g., =1,4,64,384,64,384).
#Init6 = AT+CGEQMIN=1,4,64,384,64,384
#Init7 = AT+CGEQREQ=1,4,64,384,64,384

Please insert your parameters in this script, (correct port interface at line 2 at Modem parameter, phone number, username, password, pin etc.)

Everytime you launch HSDPA script, this copies hsdpa.conf into wvdial.conf and launches it.

This works fine for me.