Ubuntu9.10 remix boots in 10 sec? (Me misunderstanding text)

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Ubuntu9.10 remix boots in 10 sec? (Me misunderstanding text)

#1 Post by nooby »

Surprising text about the ubuntu 9.10 remix.
We’ve been running the beta release of Ubuntu Netbook Remix for several weeks now. It cut boot time down to between 5-10 seconds and WiFi is already connected by the time the Desktop loads.
old text from Oct 29th 2009

http://hackaday.com/2009/10/29/ubuntu-9 ... mic-koala/

since then they have come up with Lucid Ubuntu. How fast that one is I don't know.

Guys this is not a criticism of Puppy at all. I'm just curious. I fail to use Ubuntu due to it fail to permit me to do thigns without learning a lot about how to sudo and such. And they get angry if one ask them how one do such.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 28 Jun 2010, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

JustGreg

#2 Post by JustGreg »

Nooby,
Jemimah's Pupeee and Fluppy versions start networking right after the desktop (xserver starts), so that is not surprising. If one knows the connection information, one could do it before the desktop starts up. However, if the user needs to provide a key or select a network from multiple wifi networks present, then it is done after the desktop. It is case of a static versus a dynamic network configurations.

I use a script for my home network, If I wanted the network up immediately, I could do it early, but, I do not. I have several reasons for not wanting immediate network connectivity.

The statement of 10 to 20 seconds reduction in the boot time is an interesting one. They do not say what total time required for the boot process, If it is a reduction of 10 to 20 seconds off a four minute boot and requires a static network configuration then it may not be as good as thought. This type of unqualified statement is made quite often by advertisers of a product. It is hard to disprove and sounds good.

Are you having a problem with the boot time? Have you measured what your boot time for Puppy and Mint Linux(which I think you use)? Is there a big difference in the values?
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Nooby..... here is a little tip for Ubuntu. If you want to do something that requires sudo permission, the geeks on the Ubuntu forum usually give you a long and complicated command to type into the terminal, but it JUST AINT SO. Suppose you want to do some file management: Just open a terminal and type sudo nautilus. Enter your password when asked, and you will get your usual graphical file manager open with full super user permission. Works for all programs.
Having said all that, I still never use Ubuntu anymore, only Puppy.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

yes but sadly I forgot the password. I could maybe install it again.
I am talking AntiX Linux. That one asked for password to like Ubuntu does.

JustGreg, then I apologize. You mean it was only a reduction in time compared to the standard Ubuntu and ten seconds faster on the remix?

I am such a poor reader of txts my brain most likely are going down the drain. Some early dementia whatever.

I guess me should do exercising so the blood flow will get going to the brain.
I've heard one live longer too if one do exercise each day. 30 minutes or 60 are the minimum?

But xpud are faster than puppy what could they have done to achieve this?
Hm they have a small sized file so that makes it a bit faster. Less programs to extract. But remarcably faster it is.

You are right it doesn't matter if it is 15 or 45 seconds. Only matter if it is 45 second for puppy and 4minutes for Windows. :)

JustGreg

#5 Post by JustGreg »

One point on using the sudo command. It does work. The first Linux I used was Morphix and you had to be a super user for administrative tasks. The password that is required is the password assignned to root.

Nooby, as a fellow "old guy", the best way to do exercise is to get a dog. I have three, all free. Since they needed regular exercise (morning and evening), it is a good reason to walk. We walk about 6 to 8 Kilometers a day. One of the dogs has helped my wife train for a long distance race. The exercise keeps everyone healthly.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Very good advice. An old workmate have dog that keep him fit.

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

Don't use "sudo" on GUI apps. You should use "gksudo" and "kdesudo" for KDE GUI apps.
RootSudo - Community Ubuntu Documentation
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

stu90

#8 Post by stu90 »

I not used this ubuntu remix but the regular gnome 10.04 boots surprisingly quick for me it is about on par with puppy at around 25 seconds.

I understand why it is there and i'm sure it can be avoided but after using Puppy i find the constant prompt for password in regular ubuntu annoying.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Linux Bible say: Dear Geeks. Always protect yourself with a good password.

I know too little. Tin foil hat on always. :)

Ibidem

#10 Post by Ibidem »

I usually use Ubuntu, with Puppy also installed, because Lucid Lynx boots so much faster than Puppy.

Enough of that.
To do whatever you feel like, means making the computer insecure.
If you don't mind that, here's what should work:
Option 1.

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
Login as root.
Opt 2.

sudo passwd root
sudo apt-get install nodm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure nodm
Login as root automatically, start X--YOU CANNOT KILL X11 IF YOU DO THIS!
Opt 3.
sudo passwd root; switch to root account; enable autologin
OR enable autologin to tty1 as root; remove gdm; append "startx" to /root/.bashrc

As far as gksudo, etc--some distros had some knucklehead configuration that would prevent some X11 stuff from working via sudo, requiring a workaround (like gksudo).
Ubuntu doesn't have that problem--sudo works fine.

"su" is better, but you must add a root password.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Very much appreciated, but you kind of underestimate how bad I am at this.

Where am I suppose to find out the password for the sudo password?

Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for your help but it can be as easy as you say.

But I have never managed to achieve such.

One need to know that password. They always describe it in such an abstract way that I fail to get how they do it. Sounds crazy but that is the truth.

I tested it again just a short while ago. Debian and failed to get the password.

I have ADHD, I fail to make notes of such things. They are gone within seconds.

Are you not talking about a fully installed ubuntu?

I have to coexist with Vista and Win7. I only use then when I must but they are the warranty for the computer. OEM so they have recovery partitions and that doesn't allow any other partitions or shrinking done.

but it could help me use ubuntu or mint on USBflash or external hdd usb.

So much appreciated.

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

Where am I suppose to find out the password for the sudo password?

# cat /etc/shadow
root:$1$KzvBXLpn$IaYuZm0lIBON/woKRXUUO.:14825:0:99999:7:::
daemon:!:11141:0:99999:7:::
nobody:!:11141:0:99999:7:::
spot:!:12822:0:99999:7:::
bin:*:9797:0:::::
messagebus:!:0:99999:7:::
ftp:!:13885:0:99999:7:::
haldaemon::0:99999:7:::
uucp::0:99999:7:::
sshd:*:9797:0:::::
webuser:!:14442:0:99999:7:::
karl:$1$4iMm182Y$oinYOES5zlF/JeRIoylZK1:14796:0:99999:7:::
if you delete
$1$KzvBXLpn$IaYuZm0lIBON/woKRXUUO.
or first try :
KzvBXLpn$IaYuZm0lIBON/woKRXUUO.

you might `login` by just hitting Enter/return then :?:

# passwd root
Changing password for root
New password:
Retype password:
Password for root changed by root
/etc/shadow now:
root:$1$SJvISSJH$JV.L8x.1j.1bPWPrMHrfZ/:14832:0:99999:7::

BTW: There is much talking about `sudo` at linuxquestions.org and most comments are about sudo is good and X is bad - but I really think linux is made for BIG Networks as the huge amount of default created /dev/* reveal and BIG Servers never shutdown. They get replaced and are ""of course"" at universities . So if linux is a hobby I would not really bother me with complicated `lsmod` "command not found" or "" messages .