Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 18:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
We Don't Feel So Good About M$
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Author Message
afgs


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun 2010, 00:36    Post_subject:  We Don't Feel So Good About M$  

http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Google_Microsoft_Windows_We_Don_t_Feel_So_Good_About_

Quote:
The cited reason is security concerns; not entirely surprising...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jpeps

Joined: 31 May 2008
Posts: 3220

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul 2010, 22:16    Post_subject: Re: We Don't Feel So Good About M$  

afgs wrote:
http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Google_Microsoft_Windows_We_Don_t_Feel_So_Good_About_

Quote:
The cited reason is security concerns; not entirely surprising...


It doesn't surprise me either. I spent about a week trying to get rid of some Trojan on my housemate's windows PC, using about 5 different anti malware, anti virus programs along with registry cleaners, cleaning out startup processes, etc, etc. Every time I think it's licked, up pops the same garbage....(with no browser open, two popup blockers, 2 firewalls, etc, etc)...Finally, I just plugged in a USB thumb drive with puppy on it..which was what I should have done initially. Funny thing, even the Microsoft Update site wouldn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
russoodle


Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 658
Location: Down-Under in South Oz

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul 2010, 02:13    Post_subject: Re: We Don't Feel So Good About M$  

jpeps wrote:
afgs wrote:
http://www.osnews.com/story/23384/Google_Microsoft_Windows_We_Don_t_Feel_So_Good_About_

Quote:
The cited reason is security concerns; not entirely surprising...


snip....(with no browser open, two popup blockers, 2 firewalls, etc, etc)...snip

Please educate me if i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but i was under the impression that it's not a good idea to run dual firewalls with Window$, as they're likely to conflict and cause issues. I always thought that, if one was running a 3rd-party firewall, then the Window$ one should be disabled.

(similarly with AV, one at a time...mind you, since i rarely boot into 'doze these days, i'm not up with all the latest)

_________________
This aging business really bugs me - it didn't bother me years ago, so why is it happening now??
meownplanet - puppylinuxstuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jpeps

Joined: 31 May 2008
Posts: 3220

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul 2010, 02:40    Post_subject: Re: We Don't Feel So Good About M$  

russoodle wrote:

Please educate me if i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but i was under the impression that it's not a good idea to run dual firewalls with Window$, as they're likely to conflict and cause issues. I always thought that, if one was running a 3rd-party firewall, then the Window$ one should be disabled.

(similarly with AV, one at a time...mind you, since i rarely boot into 'doze these days, i'm not up with all the latest)


Initially I had only Kerio running, but since nothing else worked, I activated Windows firewall as well. No conflict, but it didn't help. Anyway, she now has a much better OS loaded that doesn't need a firewall or any of the other worthless malware virus software. All this started when Desktop Security 2010 suddenly appeared.

re AV: It's good to have several flavors on hand, since they pick up different problems...although you might want only one running in the background.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0493s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0037s) ][ GZIP on ]