How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Diggs

#41 Post by Diggs »

Even after multiple Puppy/puplets installs and running Puppy on multiple computers I am still confused about one thing. When a FULL install is completing, the installer asks me to choose a size for my pup_save file(?). Why is there a save file on a full install? I want a full install that uses the entire drive without any worry about creating, watching or future expansion of a pup_save file. I wouldn't think there should be a save file on a full install? Am I missing something?

sidders

#42 Post by sidders »

Your right, there is'nt a save on a full install. On the initial shutdown select Do Not Save.

rjbrewer

#43 Post by rjbrewer »

Yes; You're missing something!

Do NOT....make a save file with a full install.
When install is complete and it's time to reboot; remove
the cd.

A good video guide to full install:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Diggs

#44 Post by Diggs »

sidders wrote:Your right, there is'nt a save on a full install. On the initial shutdown select Do Not Save.
And how would anyone know this as it is the installer that is requesting that this be done? Meaning, maybe a comment should be added to the install verbiage/process that lets the user know this. As it stands now, it IS part of the install process and no one would know any different.

(Just my 2 cents)

sidders

#45 Post by sidders »

On the one click it does say at the end, however i think i have done the same thing using the Puppy Universal Installer.

Diggs

#46 Post by Diggs »

All it would take is a line here saying for FULL Install do not save to file. Seems it would save some confusion as I'm sure I'm not the first.

(Image compliments of CatDude)

rjbrewer

#47 Post by rjbrewer »

Usually the cd ejects at the finish of the full install.
Maybe it was assumed that everyone would know not to save.
I don't know; it's been that way as long as I've used puppy,
yes, a note not to save at the end of the install would help.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

JohnFromPerth

#48 Post by JohnFromPerth »

Hi all
New to Puppy Linux so am going to ask some dumb questions.

I have an old NEC laptop with 498MHz Celeron, 192Mb RAM, 5Gb HDD, floppy and CD drives. Has 2 USB sockets but BIOS will not allow boot from them.

Laptop used to have Win98 but someone installed WinXP and it goes like a slug as can be imagined.

Plan to wipe the HDD and install Puppy. Have made a CD with Puppy on it and that boots up and runs OK. Downloaded installers.tar.gz file on to a floppy to do installation to HDD but this is a compressed or 'Zip" type file.

How do I unpack this file? What do I use? How do I copy the unpacked installer file(s) back onto the floppy?

Thanks

John

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

How do I unpack this file?
Just click on it. The package will open in Puppy's extraction program. Select all the files and save them to some convenient spot.
How do I copy the unpacked installer file(s) back onto the floppy?
Mount your diskette. Open a window onto the diskette and another window onto the location of the files. Drag them over just like you would do in Windows. Unmount the diskette before removing it.

JohnFromPerth

#50 Post by JohnFromPerth »

Thanks rcrsn51

All went well with the install and I have a dedicated Puppy laptop.

A bit hairy at the end of the install as I was not quite sure when to kill Grub.

Will now have to learn not to double click everything!

Cheers

John

duckrow

#51 Post by duckrow »

This installer is great. I had tried the Universal installer a few times but my Thinkpad 600x wouldn't boot from grub no matter where I put it. This worked first time. Maybe it was to do with the wiping of the disk. The quick installer seemed to alter some settings of the cylinders and it then worked.

Thanks

Dawn

Is this right?

#52 Post by Dawn »

According to what you say here, and according to what I understand, I should redo my installation of Puppy from scratch from the CD, but this time, hit F2 and choose the option "Puppy pfix=ram". Then when I get to the xwin, I run the Puppy Universal Installer but quit when it talks about installing GRUB. Then reboot (without doing andy file save) and then i can reboot from my hard drive from then on.

Is that right?

I expected the installation of "Lucid Puppy" to be something like my experience with Ubuntu and Debian. With those previous linux distributions after I ran the installation from a CD, I could remove the CD and reboot.

This was not the case with Lucid Puppy. After I ran (what I thought was) the installation, it seemed that the whole Operating System was in RAM and when I rebooted I found that the previous installed OS on the hard drive came up.

The next thing I did was this. After I installed Lucid Puppy, I ran a suggested setup routine which seemed to be successful. The final screen said this:

Code: Select all

GRUB INSTALL SUCCESS
==================
GRUB was successfully installed on the MBR of
/dev/sda.  You should check and edit the
'/boot/grub/menu.lst' file on 'dev/sda1', if
needed.  You may want to change the
location 'boot/umlinuz', and/or options
passed to any Linux kernal listed there.
What should I do and how do I do it?

Now when I reboot I get a blue menu that looks like this:

Code: Select all

Linux (on /dev/sda1)
Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
-  For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
-  For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt
At the bottm of the screen there are suggestions how to edit files. Unix and Linux is new to me. I hope I can get some direction here with better experienced people.

I would think that installing any software would cause that installation to be placed on the users hard drive. I would expect that that would be the defaut option and doing otherwise might be diffiicult or impossible.

According to this link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42876
What I should do is do a new installation from scratch but this time use the option "puppy pfix=ram" and when I get to the point in the Puppy Universal Installer where the it is insatlling GRUB, I cancel it and everything will work. is that right?

blue cobra

#53 Post by blue cobra »

Hello! I am booting off the live CD right now, and when I click Download it downloads viewtopic.php, not one-click-installer.tar.gz. Can you help me with this?

I'm not sure if this computer is capable of copying files from a flash drive, but if that's my only option I can try.

Thank You!

rcrsn51

#54 Post by rcrsn51 »

What Puppy version and which browser are you using?

Try right-clicking and doing a Save-As operation.

blue cobra

#55 Post by blue cobra »

Right click and Save As had the same results.

I'm using 5.10 and the default Netsurf Small Web Browser.

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

The most recent Puppy 5.1.x has replaced Netsurf with Midori. It can do a download properly.

blue cobra

#57 Post by blue cobra »

I tried SeaMonkey and it downloads correctly. Thank You!

Diggs

#58 Post by Diggs »

Diggs wrote:Even after multiple Puppy/puplets installs and running Puppy on multiple computers I am still confused about one thing. When a FULL install is completing, the installer asks me to choose a size for my pup_save file(?). Why is there a save file on a full install? I want a full install that uses the entire drive without any worry about creating, watching or future expansion of a pup_save file. I wouldn't think there should be a save file on a full install? Am I missing something?
Over a year since I wrote this and thought I would try Puppy 5.2 on a Full install. I see nothing has changed and I am still struggling with a full install (as our other frustrated novices I have discussed Puppy with). (Shouldn't be this hard.) Puppy Lucid still no closer to the ease of Ubuntu Lucid installer despite the names.

Hmmm.....

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

The full-install script uses the Puppy Universal Installer to do the actual copying from CD to hard drive, so it involves more steps. When the PUI gets to the point of installing GRUB, cancel it. (You will have to close five windows to make it stop.) Finish with a shutdown/reboot but do NOT make a pup_save file

The request to make a pupsave file is not coming from the Universal Installer - it's from the shut down dialog. The latter is not aware that the former has been run. Read here to see the whole procedure. Those instructions also say to NOT make a pupsave file.

Diggs

#60 Post by Diggs »

rcrsn51 wrote: Read here to see the whole procedure. Those instructions also say to NOT make a pupsave file.
Heh - Did you read your own link? How is that in any way, shape, or form a one-click full install. That is a nightmare to the novice. Every major distro (especially those that profess ease of use) have a one click installer. Don't know why that has happened here especially with so many open source models available for examination. I'm not even sure how a novice that drops in the Puppy ISO and clicks "Install" would know to have a swap partition.

The Puppy Install is one of the major areas needing improvement for this distro to be truly user friendly and it hasn't changed in the last several years that I can tell.