Why can't Puppy compile Intel Proset wireless driver?

Booting, installing, newbie
Moffmo

Why can't Puppy compile Intel Proset wireless driver?

#1 Post by Moffmo »

First of all, I downloaded puppy yesterday and i tell you what its bloody impressive, im going to make a partition for this as it rules windows! 8)

Anyway i have a Intel Proset 2200 Wireless card but the ethernet wizard doesnt find it, im guessing this is becuase i have no driver. So i searched and found a Intel Proset 2200 specfic driver for linux! The thing is i cant follow the instructions at all, One command in particular "make" does absolutely nothing for me...

I have attached the driver for you, and anyone who wants it, Advice on Specficilly what to do in English would be fantastic!
Attachments
ipw2200-1.0.4.tar
Intel Proset 2200 driver linux (rename to tgz, complete newbie and couldnt compress it properly so just rename it back to tgz)
(145.17 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

First of all if you have read the install file you will see that this module is only for the 2.6 kernel and will not work in the 2.4 kernel.
The only version of Puppy with the 2.6 kernel is 1.0.2 so that is the version you will need to use.

This is not a trivial thing to set up for a beginner so I would suggest you approach Barry and see if he can include this in a future version as it requires some work.

If you wish to try yourself you will need a different distibution such as Vector Linux with the 2.6 kernel to compile this driver.

The reason that you cannot compile this in Puppy, which I assume you have tried to do, is that Puppy does not have the GNU compiler and associated tools necessary to compile programs. 'Make' is one of these and without 'make' the makefile will not respond to the command 'make'.

To compile this you need to do it in a distribution such as Vector Linux which has the required tools.

I don't want to discourage you but I feel that you should be aware of the task that faces you, if you wish to go on with it you will need to read the INSTALL file closely and maybe do some net searching to understand what they are talking about.

Moffmo

#3 Post by Moffmo »

I had thought that i was maybe trying to compile something without a compiler :roll:

As for the kernels... missed that completely! :oops:

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers

Matt

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Stay frisky

#4 Post by Lobster »

Ian is right to warn you of the task ahead BUT you have allies (not me I can barely keep stocked up with all the new fish shoals)

However I am hoping that Bladehunter or ND (our Resident stud - ask all the ladettes - well his girlfriend actually) may be able to help . . .

Maybe someone else?

The new Puppy 1.0.4 is being fine tuned for Wifi even as we speak and I think it is very near to release - Well Barry our chief Pup says no . . . but I am hopeful <tee hee>

I think those of us who use Puppy recognise how much fun it is and how well it compares to . . . well to anything (I think the Mac may be a little ahead of us and XP though slow, is quite nicely configured and Ubuntu have a good attitude) Once you get it all working (and most people do) it is Woosh all the way . . .

Stay tuned, Play with Puppy, check out the wiki. Remain frisky.

Woof woof 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

Hi Matt,
Like I was telling you yesterday, there's a lot missing from Puppy, compared to other linux versions..mainly to keep the size to a minimum. There are options and solutions, but they usually need a bit more 'hands on' tinkering ( by people who know much more than me usually ! ) :P

Glad you're impressed so far though.

It's small - like a puppy
it's fast - like a puppy
it's full of surprises - like a puppy.

Unfortunately , it can take time to house train - just like a puppy :D

Since I've been using it though, about 2 months or so, it has evolved and improved at a fantastic rate.

Welcome to the learning curve ! 8)

Moffmo

#6 Post by Moffmo »

Hiya Rich!

Hopefully barry will see this and include it in his 1.04 :)
Iv been having a great time, the gaim is excellent, and mozilla is very much like firefox but due to to smalleness of puppy its been running faster than firefox on XP!

I think i would like to have firefox on the puppy instead so im in the process of that 8)

Edit: While im here, If i make a partition and install it on the hard drive is it possible to get a "boot menu" where you choose what OS you want, as i dont have a floppy and i would like it on the hard drive :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Moffmo wrote:<snip> Edit: While im here, If i make a partition and install it on the hard drive is it possible to get a "boot menu" where you choose what OS you want, as i dont have a floppy and i would like it on the hard drive :D
You want the GRUB bootloader I think. It is a program which replaces the MS bootloader - which does not play nice with Linux - on the first sector of the hard drive. Correctly configured, it allows you to choose which operating system, of the ones on your hard drive, to boot. I've only installed it as part of the installation of Mandrake Linux, but it is possible to install it by itself. Someone who knows a lot more than I do about how to do that will no doubt be along shortly to help. :)
Meanwhile, the Puppy Wiki has some pages that might help. Here's one for instance (about a fourth of the way down the page you'll find "Set up Grub on a single HDD Puppy installation..")

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#8 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi, Moffmo

Your best bet for your wireless woes will probably be to get Bladehunter to compile the drivers for you and post them back here. I'm not positive whether he's got a machine set up with kernel 2.6 or not (is there a 2.4 version of your driver available?), but if he does, I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out. Try sending him a PM. I'd offer to do it for you (thanks, Lobster, for the tip of the hat), but the only linux I'm running is puppy 8) so I don't have the facilities to do the compile.

Sorry can't be more help.

ND

Moffmo

#9 Post by Moffmo »

I think i will pm blade hunter 8)

I couldnt find a 2.4 version of it, does it make things very hard?

I also have the windows version :roll:

Cheers

Matt