CPU FREQUENCY SCALING 1.3-2 - Ondemand (dynamic) - GUI

Miscellaneous tools
abushcrafter

#61 Post by abushcrafter »

jamesbond wrote:Hi trio,

Based on hints from rcrsn51 above, I've taken the liberty to fix up your code and bump the version to 1.3-3. The pet is attached here. It's only one line change in cpu_func file.

It will work whether or not modprobe.conf is moved to /etc/modprobe.d

cheers!
You forgot to update the version number in the GUI.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

jamesbond

#62 Post by jamesbond »

edoc, it may or may not. Just give it a try.

Chronic overheating (to the point that the laptop shutdown automatically to prevent damage) is usually caused by either faulty fan or dusty heatpipe. Replacing the fan and cleaning those heatpipes usually work better than any other software trick out there.

abushcrafter, yeah my bad. I didn't see the version number there ... just did it so quickly to get it working :) Where is trio by the way? I would expect him to release the "official" version and update the first post :p

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stiginge

#63 Post by stiginge »

Hi,

I'm trying to get this working with my pentium dual-core processor, but all of the intel modules are 'not compatible' using the 1.3-2 version. Is there anything i can do here to make this work for me on my laptop?
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

DaveS

#64 Post by DaveS »

stiginge wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to get this working with my pentium dual-core processor, but all of the intel modules are 'not compatible' using the 1.3-2 version. Is there anything i can do here to make this work for me on my laptop?
Did you follow this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 549#424549
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#65 Post by DaveS »

stiginge wrote:Hi,

Did you follow this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 549#424549
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

@stiginge: If you can't find the solution buried in that thread, here it is again:

Locate the file /usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_func and open it in a text editor.

Line 15 currently says

Code: Select all

if [ ! "`cat /tmp/modprobe_module.tmp`" ] ; then
Change it to

Code: Select all

if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
Make sure you leave spaces on either side of the [ ] characters.

stiginge

#67 Post by stiginge »

That's great thanks rcrsn51, after changing that code at line 15 it allowed me to input the min anx max frequencies. The fan on my laptop seems to be coming on as frequently as before (if not more frequently), but not making as much noise as before. I'm afraid now that I might damage the hardware on my system without proper cooling :? I set the min at 800 and reduced the max from 1600 to 1200 because it wasn't making any difference with the default of 1600.

Is there documentation on how this app works anywhere on the murga linux forums? I looked here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15 but didn't find any detailing of how this works and what things mean[/code]

steve_s

#68 Post by steve_s »

trio: love the gui. This is the second time for me to do this with a laptop and I did following the advise from the other thread last time...this gui would have made it much easier...

But right now I'm using a laptop that isn't responding to this. First I modprobed manually all those in the list, got fatal errors on all of them.

Then tried the gui, same result: none of the modules worked, all gave fatal errors.

This laptop is an Hp Pavillion N5470 that I'm running kdpup on.

Any ideas? Other module options?

stiginge

#69 Post by stiginge »

Since installing cpufreq I've discovered that my laptop is freezing/crashing every day. I don't know if it's related to cpu usage or just happening at regular time intervals, but I'm definitely getting a black screen and unresponsive keyboard fairly often.

DaveS

#70 Post by DaveS »

steve_s wrote:trio: love the gui. This is the second time for me to do this with a laptop and I did following the advise from the other thread last time...this gui would have made it much easier...

But right now I'm using a laptop that isn't responding to this. First I modprobed manually all those in the list, got fatal errors on all of them.

Then tried the gui, same result: none of the modules worked, all gave fatal errors.

This laptop is an Hp Pavillion N5470 that I'm running kdpup on.

Any ideas? Other module options?
This might help http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 694#424694
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

cfli1688c1

#71 Post by cfli1688c1 »

I am using the livecd, how do I get the cpu scaling to scale to the new frequency without rebooting? Thanks.

jogreer

Can't force scaling_governor to ondemand

#72 Post by jogreer »

EDIT: This seems to be an issue with the p4clockmod module ever since kernel 2.6.30. There is a fix at http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20313 but it has to be implemented to kernel. Can someone please compile a new kernel with this fix into next Puppy version? I'm sure it will fix a few people's problems.

Hi. I'm using a nx6110 with latest BIOS F.15 and latest Puppylinux 5.1.1.

I've been reading up a lot about the cpufreq utility and haven't figured out why I can't force /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor to use ondemand, even though scaling_available_governors tells me I can run ondemand and performance. However it is always stuck to performance, even if I run the 'echo ondemand...' command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. If I lower the maximum allowed frequency from 1500000 to 187500, the CPU runs at only 187500, so the CPU is at least capable of switching frequency and staying there.

ACPI says that throttling is enabled (shows T0-T7 under /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling) and T0 is selected (which is 100%), I have successfully been using throttling in WinXP on this same machine with RMClock.

In a document (OLS2006-ondemand-paper.pdf) about the cpufreq option in the kernel, I quote: "Also note that if your CPU is not capable of fast switching of CPU frequency, then the above echo command may fail and you may continue to use the governor that was set before."

I can also see that the folder /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ is missing, and I cannot create it using mkdir.

So should I conclude that the CPU is not capable of 'fast switching of cpu frequency'?
Is it a kernel issue, should I wait for another kernel build?
Can I regulate the throttling on demand in stead?

Regards, Jonathan

jemimah

#73 Post by jemimah »

According to google, that machine has a cpu that supports speedstep. Are you sure you should be using p4clockmod?

jogreer

No support for speedstep

#74 Post by jogreer »

No, the only working module is p4clockmod, the three speedstep modules don't load when I select them in Clock Frequency Scaling Tool. The issue is with the kernel module p4clockmod that has been changed where the cpuinfo.transition_latency should be 1000000, but has been changed in 2.6.30+ to 1000001. That breaks the ondemand function for slow CPU Frequency switching.

Dmesg tells me that "p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available ondemand governor failed, too long transition latency of HW, fallback to performance governor".

Can someone find out if this is to be fixed in future kernels or can someone make a patch to the current 2.6.33 kernel?

EDIT: p4clockmod says it has a dependancy on speedstep-lib, so yes it uses speedstep, but no it cannot load the other speedstep-modules in cpufreq.
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/p4-clockmod.ko
license: GPL
description: cpufreq driver for Pentium(TM) 4/Xeon(TM)
author: Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@commfireservices.com>
depends: speedstep-lib
vermagic: 2.6.33.2 SMP mod_unload modversions 486
Last edited by jogreer on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#75 Post by jemimah »

Does powersave work? If you can confirm that this actually gives you a better battery life I'll patch the kernel for Puppeee and Fluppy. But tests with p4clockmod on the Eee just gave worse performance and the same battery life, so it's sort of pointless.

jogreer

Battery life

#76 Post by jogreer »

Hi.

I can't confirm the increased battery life, but I sent a message to Zwane (programmer of the p4clockmod module) asking for a revert to the old setting when it worked. Let's wait for his reply and I'll post it here.

In WinXP the lower throttle decreased the fan noise level because the temperature went down, and that's good enough for me.

Yes I just tested powersave and it worked, though it is really slow.

I can confirm increased battery life from 1hr 20min on performance to 1hr 50min on ondemand when using it in Windows XP.

Now I have found a hack that doesn't require a new compilation of kernel:

cd /lib/modules/2.6.xx.x/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
cp p4-clockmod.ko p4-clockmod.ko.backup
hexdump -Cv p4-clockmod.ko.backup > p4-clockmod.ko.hex
geany p4-clockmod.ko.hex
Hit search for "81 96 98" and change the "81" to "80".
Now save and exit geany
hexdump -R p4-clockmod.ko.hex > p4-clockmod.ko
Reboot computer

This did the trick for me!

I also added these lines to /root/Startup/start_cpu_freq to make the behaviour of ondemand more responsive (switches up on >20% load and checks load every 0,1 secs):
echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

Good luck!

akash_rawal

How to disable CPU frequency scaling tool

#77 Post by akash_rawal »

Respected trio,

How to disable CPU frequency scaling tool?
I am using lucid puppy 511 with CPU frequency scaling tool 1.3-1 installed and enabled by default and that is slowing down my computer. I cannot find any option to disable it. I have also tried deleting /root/Startup/start_cpu_freq file but the tool still doesn't release its control over the CPU ( The first screen does show that CPU frequency scaling is disabled but HardInfo shows CPU speed as 1600MHz instead of normal 2533MHz in puppy 430 ).

My computer doesn't have any CPU overheating problem.

jogreer

#78 Post by jogreer »

Add this to a script in /root/Startup/:
bash -c "echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
bash -c "echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor"

akash_rawal

#79 Post by akash_rawal »

jogreer wrote: Add this to a script in /root/Startup/...
That pushes up frequency till 2400MHz, but I discovered a better solution.
Go to Menu>System>BootManager. Then click "Choose which system services to run at startup:", then uncheck "start_cpu_freq" checkbox, click OK button, then reboot.
This pushes up frequency back to normal, 2533MHz.

nooby

#80 Post by nooby »

I feel so embarrassed. I really need to learn this but it seems my
brain are no on par. I have no idea what to do with the info in the thread.

I have a Asus EeePC 900 with a Celeron M353 most likely.
Not sure how I can find out. Asus changed their mobos very often
and have obscure ways to tell the buyer what is on them.
It gets hotter and hotter and the fan is on the whole time and fail
to lower the tem it goes up and up so I need scaling or something like that.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though