Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 13:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 7 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Author Message
happy37

Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 08:44    Post subject:  

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.

Quote:
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.


As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
happy37

Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 13:29    Post subject:  

Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RetroTechGuy


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2669
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 16:25    Post subject:  

happy37 wrote:
Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.

Quote:
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.


As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37


It's possible that you may need to try a Puppy Retro version for your hardware...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/special-puppies/

For example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/special-puppies/pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems.iso

(I can run this latter one on an old 333MHz Compaq laptop...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RetroTechGuy


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2669
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 16:37    Post subject:  

happy37 wrote:
Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37


OK, the basic rule in Puppy is that you are always "superuser" (e.g. "root").

Your console is "rxvt". Your default location for the command window will be "/root/" (open the window and type "pwd" == "print working directory").

If you saved a pupsave to the flash drive, the flash drive is "/mnt/home/". If you unpacked directly onto the flash drive, your program will be there -- otherwise it's likely to be under the "/root/" folder.

Be aware (apparent from reading their page) that if you experience a power hiccup while performing this flash, that you may well "brick" the router. If you have a UPS, it would be worth putting both the computer and the router on the UPS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rdatlinux

Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 15:54    Post subject: Thank you
Subject description: puppy helped me
 

I am from Kerala India.
I convey my heartfelt regards for creating and supporting such a wonderful OS. I have an AMD 2400+ with 1GB Ram and my hard disk failed. Then I found Puppy.(4.3.1) It solved all my problems since I am ablee to use my 1 GB pen drive and use the PC for all my needs.

Thank you all great persons for this.
Will post more details later.

RD,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3454
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 20:42    Post subject:  

rdatlinux:

Welcome to Puppy.

"My hard disk failed."

Have you tried booting Puppy and mounting your
drive after it boots by placing it in an External USB
hard drive case.
You might get lucky and retrieve any data off it.
No guarantees.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
manoftao

Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug 2010, 05:03    Post subject: Cant install Puppy
Subject description: Puppy install stuck at xorgwizard
 

Hi. I have a fairly old laptop: HP Omnibook XE2 PII 400 Mhz, 192 mb ram 6 GB HDD which Im trying to install Puppy on but keep getting stuck at xorgwizard – which seems to have trouble finding the right video driver/resolution. Tried all options, Detect, Choose, Vesa, keeps going back to xorgwizard suggestion. xwin leads to blank screen.. I managed to boot up Knoppix live cd on it but for a HDD install, DSL or Puppy both get stuck during hardware recognition. Any help would be great. Laptop has mini xp on it which only takes 350 Mb space. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug 2010, 07:31    Post subject:  

manoftao

Welcome to the forum and Puppyland.

It might be better to start a separate thread with this problem as it appears more general than an installation problem. It looks like a video/booting problem.

Please identify which version of Puppy you were trying (and incidently which version of Knoppix you got working). As you think it may be a video problem please tell us what video system you PC has fitted - Intel (type if poss 855, 945, ...), ATI, Nvidia, other.

Do you get the problem with the LIVE CD or only with your attempted installation? What type of installation are you trying full or frugal and are you trying to dual boot with your XP? If it is an installation what have you put in your menu.lst?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
manoftao

Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug 2010, 00:40    Post subject:  

@ ICPUG...
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the intel-scsi-modem iso of Puppy and X miraculously went past the hiccup I experienced with the other LUPU.iso. The very same xorg menu. It installed well on sd1 but struggling to connect to Internet via wireless esb dongle which finds my network but does not connect. I'll keep looking and learning. Linux is great and fun, but brain-busting when tweaking required.. To a novice like me that is.. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug 2010, 07:50    Post subject:  

OK manoftao.

That scsi-intel-modem iso is based on puppy 4.3.1 which will give you less trouble with the video drivers.

The latest series 5 puppies, because of the use of later intel drivers and a more recent linux kernel mean some tweaks have to be made. Lucid Puppy 5.1 should boot to the desktop though!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
shinobar


Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 2631
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov 2010, 08:43    Post subject: NTFS and Grub4Dos  

Excellent artcle, but somewhat outdated for the era of Xp and later.
And now recent Puppy has Grub4Dos.
Using Grub4Dos is safer than touching BCD, i think.
See the article:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348

_________________
Google Chrome portable
Downloads for Puppy Linux http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
moB

Joined: 19 Oct 2009
Posts: 116
Location: Coastal

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec 2010, 22:27    Post subject: Re: Thank you
Subject description: puppy helped me
 

rdatlinux wrote:
I am from Kerala India.
I convey my heartfelt regards for creating and supporting such a wonderful OS. I have an AMD 2400+ with 1GB Ram and my hard disk failed. Then I found Puppy.(4.3.1) It solved all my problems since I am ablee to use my 1 GB pen drive and use the PC for all my needs.

Thank you all great persons for this.
Will post more details later.

RD,


You may have some luck with this tool:

Quote:

GNU ddrescue is a data recovery tool. It copies data from one file or block device (hard disc, cdrom, etc) to another, trying hard to rescue data in case of read errors.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html

All the best to you!

moB

But the whaleman, as he seeks the food of light, so he lives in light.
He makes his berth an Aladdin's lamp, and lays him down in it; so
that in the pitchiest night the ship's black hull still houses an illumination.
--Melville, Moby Dick
]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LeithR

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 110
Location: Kemnay, Aberdeenshire/Scotland

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 08:26    Post subject: Error Message on 2nd power up
Subject description: Getting "Attempt to kill init!" message
 

On my second and subsequest attempts to boot up Lupo_520 I get the following message then my laptop hangs. I suspect I did something silly when I first loaded up - it was after midnight and I was tired.
Msge Received - "Performing a 'Switch Root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel Panic - Not Synching. Attempt to kill init!

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 08:49    Post subject:  

LeithR do edit into your post what computer you have and if you did full install or frugal install and if you did a save file or never came to the desktop of the OS?

I trust that many will be able to help if you give such info and even greater chance if you start a thread in the beginners part of the forum.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rayberau

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 02:03    Post subject: Problems installing Puppy  

I tried to install Puppy 4.3 from CD onto a 6GB ext3 partition I made on an 8GB flash USB but the cursor froze after I pressed ENTER at "Press ENTER key to continue, CTRL-C to abort: ^[OM

I waited a couple of days hoping that the installation was quietly proceeding but now I think it is not.

Last week I tried the same thing and, because there was no response when I pressed CTRL-C to abort, I switched off the computer to abort the installation. Then I found that the CD wouldn't boot, but when I re-inserted the USB flash stick it did boot. So I guess maybe switching off the computer during the installation causes problems, and so I am writing to ask how to get out of the present frozen cursor situation so that Puppy can demount the media and shut down properly.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 55420100 laptop with AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 CPU with x86_64 platform, 2 CPUs, 2000 CPU speed, 3963 System Memory, 6015 system swap. The MBR of Windows became damaged when I tried to make the laptop dual-boot with Fedora so now I only can boot with Fedora - either Fedora 13 which is on the hard drive or with Fedora 12 which i successfully installed from CD onto a 16GB flash drive.

I don't need the Fedora 13 that is on the hard drive, as I'm happy with the Fedora 12 on the 16GB USB drive. What I'd like to do is install Puppy as boot loader on the hard drive and then try to reinstall Windows XP onto a partition on the hard drive so I'll have dual boot Puppy and Windows XP on the hard drive. I would have liked to finish this installation of Puppy onto the 8GB flash drive too but don't know how to get out of the present problem I have as outlined in the first three paragraphs above.

Regards and thanks from,
Ray Bergmann
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1054s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0067s) ][ GZIP on ]