Linux Tablet from Asus but not Android. Asustek nix version

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Linux Tablet from Asus but not Android. Asustek nix version

#1 Post by nooby »

Saw it on idg.se and idg.no maybe it exists on idg news in your country too.

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=6AAD6A ... 9F0E3DEA52
The Eee Tablet will run a Linux OS, but not Google's Android mobile operating system, which has long been the rumor.

The Linux distribution on board was developed by Asustek, said Jerry Shen, CEO of Asustek, speaking with reporters after the conference.
It is not an ordinary tablet though. It has no back light. They decided to skip that because it is aimed at those who want something more that just a book reader and to look into a light is tiring for the eyes so e-ink would be a good thing but they are slow in response so not good to use browsing the internet.

I am not a good reader. Do they really say it is B/W and not color? Wow that is different. And they don't say how it handle Flash either.

Now the main reason me write here is that it is linux and not android.

Okay a special distro of limux but still linux.

Android is not really ordinary linux. They have proprietary code that makes android not totally compatible if I get it. I only guess.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

good find nooby.
perhaps they are still plugging xandros

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Heheh! Xandrox or Linpus both would be sad to have. Did anybody like them as distros? Hope they come up with better than that.

One reason they have their own coold be them too setting up some kind of Apps market for their Asus computers? Not sure.

Another could be they have software for recognizing written text on the touch sensitive screen. So that maybe require a linux that that is tailor coded for that special screen?

That it was hard to do in ordinary versions?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though