Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 09:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How do I install the slmodem puppyget?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
dr1445

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 08:21    Post subject:  How do I install the slmodem puppyget?  

Greetings Forum,
i got a dell gx1 350mgz as scrap, turns out it runs fine. i have a smartlink modem and tried to update the sl with puppyget. i used a serial modem to get online and do the apt-get. The package loaded in /root/my-applications as a tgz. The instructions said to reboot which produced no results. Should the package be unzipped? if so whats the path. i did not see tkzip in setaction. Please educate a new user.
Regards
Dave
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2005, 20:51    Post subject:  

When you run the Modem Wizard, do you see a button labelled "ttySL0"?

-- if so, it's there.
dr1445

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 05:38    Post subject:  

yes i ran the wizard. it did detect the smartlink but it still would not work. in the help section it advised a download to make the smartlink work. if found the link to the patch in pupget. i have problems with the patch install. the first time around the patch installed as a tgz and that went nowhere. i deleted the first patch and ran it once more. this time it seemed to install ok till i checked a link to a boot file. the slmodem file was there with a big red error sign attached. if i download without pupget it goes to tkzip, where i extracted the files and dragged them to the desk top. next move please.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 07:19    Post subject:  

The problem is, I'm running a "pre-1.0.4" version myself, that has a different setup for slmodem, so I can't check what you are reporting.

I think, if i recall, if the Wizard showed the ttySL0 button, then everything was already installed and the "patch" as you called it wasn't needed.
So, I don't know why it didn't work.

You may have to wait until 1.0.4, as I have tidied up a few aspects of modem handling, then try again...

...or, get yourself a true hardware serial modem! well worth it, and plenty of them cheap second hand.
dr1445

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 19:04    Post subject:  

Thanks, i have a serial modem that works great. i got that smartlink for around $10 and it worked great with some linux distros. it is a case of more machines than modems. i have signed up for dsl, so if ever i can get a network running that problem will be solved.
also i had the thought to use puppy and some older machines for internet cafe run from satellite and a network. any remarks on the subject would be
appricated.
regards
dave
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: