Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 01:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
The pup001 file---a newbie`s compendium
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
Puppy Dog

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 20:41    Post subject:  The pup001 file---a newbie`s compendium  

pup001 is: 1. Merely a file on a hard drive that saves your documents and settings.
2. Part of a completely contained operating system when used in conjunction with the cd.
3. and more-- BUT these two are necessary to understand in the beginning especially if you didn`t get a chance to read the screen during the first boot.
Where is it? --not really important to know for some,however---
In my case pup001 resides on C:\ in Windows 98 (by default). You can, with the right tools read what`s inside it (not necessary or advised just yet). You can also rename it,delete it,resize it(use Puppy for this), or add other pup001`s along side of it(best to use the cd I think); but just like a litter of puppies ------each one will need it`s own name ----- ( pup001-a ----- pup001-snoopy-----or whatever).
Don`t forget to leave only one with the name pup001. When you place the cd in and restart ------that`s the only one that will be recognized.

Each can in itself be a great learning tool or storage tool. Each is it`s own complete little operating system (PuppyLinux).
You can tinker with it, play with it, download to it, learn how to use files----all with no fear of anything like "the blue screen of death" because-----------IT`S JUST A FILE--------mess up, and you can delete it and start a fresh pup001 in 3 minutes if you so choose. Don`t worry, your original operating system will still be there. (but I bet you can`t reinstall it in 3 minutes if you had to)

I`m just a newbie. Someday I hope to bring it up a notch and install Puppy on a hard drive (I`m not sure if it will be as much fun ), a usb device, create my own version of Puppy, go wireless and even use this forum correctly---but for now I`ve found that I can experience and learn PuppyLinux (great help reads throughout) with one single file contained within most any "other" operating system.

P.S. My current kennel consists of 6--Pizzagood`s my favorite
P.P.S. Those with more experience or knowledge please feel free to add or correct.

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: