Can Puppy restore network settings at boot? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
papaschtroumpf

Can Puppy restore network settings at boot? (Solved)

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

tried pupyy on my work laptop and I had to use the network wizard to bring networking up. It would seem more friendly to try and bring up eth0 (or all interfaces) automatically using DHCP would it not?

Is there a way to tell puppy to do that from now on?
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Hmm. I think it might do it if you have a pup001 file, in which your configuration for that particular computer is saved. In other words, I think that once you have used the network wizard to configure your ethernet that info is saved to your pup001 file if you have one, and Puppy will use it to attempt to restore the ethernet connection when it boots.

I could be wrong. Somebody who knows more than I do will be along shortly to set me straight, I'm sure. :)

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

yeah, I haven't played with saving anything on the USB drive, so all is gone after I reboot :D
I was worried that it would remember "too much" between reboots, since it's very likely that each reboot will be on a different machine, since I want this to become my "to-go" machine.

I'll just have to play with it more.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Auda

#4 Post by Auda »

It does, however you have to run linneighbourhood manually to reconnect to your shared directorys Automaticly running that would be nice :-)
Auda

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks Auda. :)

If possible you could leave a pup001 file on each computer that you mostly use. That way you would only have to manually configure when you boot on a strange computer (which is bound to require some configuring anyway.)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

You could try using the multi-session disk as this saves your settings back to the disk so they go with your disk all the time thus obviating the need to create pup001 files all over the place.

#7 Post by Guest »

leaving pup files on hosts is out of the question, that's the whole idea of using puppy.
my pup file will be carried around with the rest of the USB drive.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Have you considered remastering Puppy with the modifications you require?

#9 Post by Guest »

If you type LinNeighborhood in /etc/rc.d/rc.local then all your network connections are restored on boot up I ( if you set them up in LinNeighbourhood for a start that is ) :-) I'm sorry I've forgoten who told me this thanks anyway
Auda