Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 06:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy
Page 1 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug 2010, 14:14    Post subject:  How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy  

HP Printer Driver Update: Now that all new Puppies have at least CUPS 1.4, I have split the hplip_print driver package. Older Puppies with CUPS 1.3.11, like Wary 5.3, also require the hplip_print_legacy_cups_patch-1.3.11.pet.

--------------------------------

Things to Know:

1. Some printer drivers use the /tmp folder, which must have a full set of write permissions. Right-click on the /tmp folder and select Properties. All the "Write" boxes must be checked. This is also true for /dev/null.

2. CUPS 1.4 is sometimes slow to detect networked printers. You may need to select Find New Printers several times before CUPS locates your device. If you still have problems, read here.

3. The Puppy Firewall will block access to networked printers. If you want to run the firewall, use a custom install that gives full access to the printer's IP address . Read here.

4. After a scanning session, some all-in-one units, particularly HP's, need to be rebooted before printing will work again.

5. Despite what you may have read, a PPD file by itself is rarely sufficient to install a printer in Puppy. In most cases, you need a full driver package.

6. Here are some handy commands for working with CUPS:
Code:
/etc/init.d/cups  status | start | stop
cancel -a (to cancel all print jobs)

-------------------------

Installing a Printer:

All Puppies come with the Gutenprint driver package which supports many different printers. If your own printer does not have a Gutenprint driver, download one of the driver packages listed below.

You don't need to use the Puppy Printer Wizard to install a printer. Just launch your web browser and go to the CUPS interface at:
Code:
localhost:631

Open the Administration tab and select Add Printer or Find New Printers (depending on your CUPS version). If your printer is auto-detected, follow the steps to install it. Then print a test page. In CUPS 1.4, look for this option under the Maintenance drop-down menu.

Other Printer Driver Packages:

For HP printers, install the hplip_print-3.13.x.pet from below. This package just contains basic printer drivers - no scanners, faxes, firmware installs or toolkits.

Some HP models like the Laserjet 1000 series require additional components. They are best installed using the foo2xxx driver. Various Samsung, Minolta and OKI colour laser printers are also supported by this package. The applicable models are listed here.

The foo2xxx_rcrsn.pet is attached below. There is a separate package of ICM colour profile data here. However, your colour laser printer may work fine without it.

Note: This driver requires that the device node /dev/null has a full set of write permissions. Wary 5.3 does not! Run the command
Code:
chmod 666 /dev/null

The HP Deskjet 700 series need the special PNM2PPA driver. You can get it here.

For Canon printers, go here. Some Canon printers offer a limited set of options, like only RGB at 600dpi. Read here for a way to add more options.

For Brother printers, go here.

For Samsung printers, read here.

For Epson printers, read here.

For Kodak ESP printers, read here.

For Lexmark printers, read here.
--------------------------

For a little program that checks the ink levels of your printer, look at InkGUI.

Printing Digital Photos:

A good program for printing digital photos is PeasyPrint. To print on 4x6 photo paper, you will need to change some settings in CUPS. Look under Set Printer Options for items like Media Size or Printout Mode.

Another useful tool for manipulating your photos is Rphoto. It can crop an image in a fixed 2x3 aspect ratio so it is ready to print on 4x6 photo paper. Download an Rphoto PET here.

To resize JPEG image files, look at PeasyScale.

-----------------------------

Scanner Drivers:

Some useful command line tools are:
Code:
sane-find-scanner
scanimage -L
scanimage --help

To share a scanner across a network, read here.

For HP scanners, install the hplip_scan-3.13.x.pet from below. This package contains the standard scanner driver used by many HP units. For the HP Scanjet 2400, read here.

Run Xsane from the Graphic menu. Ignore the warning about running as root. Your scanner should be auto-detected. If you close the Xsane Preview window, it won't open in the next scanning session until you enable it again from the Windows tab.

To do networked scanning with an HP unit, read about Peasyscan below.

[Update] Peasyscan is a light-weight alternative to Xsane. It uses the same backend tools as Xsane, but with a simpler user interface. Read about it here. Peasyscan is included with some newer Puppies.

For Canon scanners, go here or here.

Many older Epson scanners will be auto-detected by the SANE driver in Puppy. But new models may require the alternate epkowa driver. Read here and here.

For Brother scanners, read here.

----------------------------

Networked Printers:

In Windows, a networked printer is identified by its NETBIOS name. So a Windows client can always find the printer even if its IP address changes. However, CUPS usually configures its printers by IP address. If you reset your network and the printer's IP address changes, you will have to reinstall the printer on client machines.

If it's a standalone printer, give it a static IP address. If the printer is attached to a Puppy machine, you can host it through a Samba server. Then the printer is permanently identified on the network by its name.

---------------------------------

Connecting to a Windows Shared Printer:

Before starting, move the printer to your Puppy machine and install it as a local printer. That way, you can identify the correct driver to use. Then move it back to the Windows machine and delete the local Puppy printer.

Go to your Windows machine and locate its computer name and the name of the shared printer.

Find the computer name under Control Panel > System > Computer Name > Full Computer Name

The printer name is the one-word identifier assigned by Windows. Look for it under the Sharing tab of the printer's properties.

Important! CUPS cannot deal with a printer name if it contains spaces. You have two choices. Rename the printer in the Windows Sharing dialog. Or replace the spaces with the code %20 when you enter the name in CUPS.

Launch CUPS and start adding a printer. (Windows printers are not auto-detected.)

At the bottom of the Device list, select "Windows Printer using smbclient".

Enter the device URI as:
Code:
 smbc://COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME

Select your printer manufacturer and model as usual.

In most situations, the smbc backend will connect you successfully to a Windows printer. But there are a few exceptions. The smbw_cups_backend-1.3.pet below contains an alternate backend named smbw for those cases. It is listed in CUPS as "Windows/Samba Printer".

1. Your LAN has some non-standard configuration that prevents smbc from locating the printer. Instead, install your printer with smbw and add your network prefix to the URI, like:
Code:
smbw://COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME?192.168.2.0

Note that the last digit is a zero. Also note the question mark used as a separator. This additional information will help the backend find your Windows printer.

2. If that still doesn't work, use the Windows computer's IP address instead of its name. For example:
Code:
smbw://192.168.2.15/PRINTERNAME

3. The target printer requires authentication (eg. in Windows 7). Set up the URI like:
Code:
smbw://USERNAME:PASSWORD@WORKGROUP/SERVER/PRINTER

You MUST provide all five pieces of information.

---------------------------

Sharing your Puppy Printer with Other Windows or Linux Machines:

Part A - Setting up the Puppy Print Server

(CUPS 1.3.11) Start the CUPS web interface and open the Printers page. Note that each printer has a Publish/Unpublish button. By default, all printers are published, but are not yet visible to your network.

(CUPS 1.4.x) When you install a printer, there is a check box for Sharing. If you have not already set it, run the Modify Printer procedure.

Write down the exact name of the printer you want to share. For example:
Code:
Canon_i560_USB_1

Open the Administration page and look at the Server section.
Select the option "Share published printers connected to this system".
Click on Change Settings.
If you are asked to authenticate, use the name "root" and password "woofwoof".
Exit out of CUPS.

Determine the IP address of your Puppy machine using the comand
Code:
ifconfig

Part B - Setting up a Windows Client

Boot up the Windows machine and start the Add Printer wizard.
Select Network Printer and URL.
Enter: http://puppy.machine.ip.address:631/printers/printername
For example:
Code:
http://192.168.2.10:631/printers/Canon_i560_USB_1

Install the Windows printer driver as usual.

There are some additional considerations:

1. Some Windows drivers may not work across a network because they need to have direct contact with the printer before they will start a print job. In that case, install the printer under Windows as an HP Color Laserjet PS. This will format the print job using the Postscript printer language, which the server's CUPS will happily process.

2. Using the Postscript method in Windows saves you the trouble of installing a Windows driver. But it has been reported that the HP Postscript driver in Windows 7 does not work with Puppy. Instead, look under some other vendors, like Lexmark, for a generic Postscript driver. This procedure has also been reported to work with Macs.

3. If your Puppy server is running CUPS 1.3.11, you need to modify its configuration. Locate the file /etc/cups/mime.convs. At the end of the file, uncomment the line
Code:
application/octet-stream   application/vnd.cups-raw

Restart CUPS.

The next time you reboot your Puppy computer, it will automatically start CUPS in sharing mode. But wait a few seconds before booting a client machine or it may not immediately detect CUPS' presence on your network.

If the Puppy computer has changed its IP address, you will need to update the Windows printer. With XP Home, you must reinstall it. If you have XP Pro or NT, try the following procedure:

Locate your Windows hosts file in c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc
Add the line: puppy.machine.ip.address puppy
Install the printer using the URL: http://puppy:631/printers/printername

Then if the Puppy server gets a new IP address, you need only update the Windows hosts file.

PART C - Setting up a Linux Client

Linux machines share their printers through CUPS with the Internet Printing Protocol. These printers are rarely auto-detected, so the client must do a manual install.

In Puppy, run the CUPS wizard and select Add Printer > Internet Printing Protocol. Use a URI like:
Code:
ipp://aaa.bbb.cc.dd:631/printers/printer_name

The client machine must provide the driver. See the example here.

Here are some instructions for an Ubuntu client and Puppy server:

1a. In Ubuntu 10.10, pull down the System menu and select Administration > Printing
1b. In Ubuntu 12.04, click on the System Settings Icon > Printing
2. Select Add.
3. Ubuntu will probably NOT auto-detect your Puppy shared printer.
4. Select Find Network Printer.
5. Enter the Puppy IP address and click Find.
6a. Ubuntu should now detect the Puppy shared printer and show the dialog for selecting a driver.
6b. If you don't get the dialog, run Make and Model > Change. Choose the driver.

----------------------------------------

The latest hplip_print-3.13.14.pet can be downloaded here. Click the smaller grey DOWNLOAD button on the LEFT.

CUPS 1.3.11 users also need the legacy patch attached below.

The hplip_scan-3.13.14.pet is here.

The latest foo2xxx_rcrsn-2013.02.05.pet can be downloaded here. Also, read the discussion here.

----------------------------------------
foo2xxx_udev_patch_upup387-1.0.pet
Description  New 2013-09-30
Required by foo2xxx driver on Puppies with newer kernels
pet

Download 
Filename  foo2xxx_udev_patch_upup387-1.0.pet 
Filesize  768 Bytes 
Downloaded  542 Time(s) 
hplip_print_legacy_cups_patch-1.3.11.pet
Description  New 2012-10-23
Only needed with old CUPS 1.3.11
pet

Download 
Filename  hplip_print_legacy_cups_patch-1.3.11.pet 
Filesize  30.44 KB 
Downloaded  1822 Time(s) 
smbw_cups_backend-1.3.pet
Description  Updated 2011-11-27
pet

Download 
Filename  smbw_cups_backend-1.3.pet 
Filesize  1.35 KB 
Downloaded  1500 Time(s) 
hpijs_legacy-3.11.5.pet
Description  Required by some old applications
pet

Download 
Filename  hpijs_legacy-3.11.5.pet 
Filesize  357.98 KB 
Downloaded  2127 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Yesterday, at 06:11; edited 189 times in total
thelash

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug 2010, 06:42    Post subject: cups 1.4.3 not working in lupu.  

Hi. I have a frugal install of lupu 5.1 on an IBM T22 laptop. Previous puppies have given me no hassles, but when I open the cups server on firefox, I can get no further than the home page. Clicking on any of the operations eg add a printer gives me '500 Internal Server Error.' Taking your advice, I downloaded the cups 1.3.11 pet but when I click on this I get a failed to install message. I don't know what to try next, any guidance much appreciated.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug 2010, 08:30    Post subject:  

It sounds like your install has experienced some other corruption that is affecting CUPS. I can use Firefox as the browser for CUPS with no problems and I can successfully install CUPS 1.3.11 over top of the CUPS 1.4.3. This is in Lupu 5.1 with the latest patches.

Boot off the Live CD using the "puppy pfix=ram" option and try printing again.
thelash

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug 2010, 03:44    Post subject: cups not working in lupu (SOLVED)  

Thanks - used pfix=ram and cups worked as normal. (I never considered that - haven't had a corrupted install with Puppy before.)
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 22:08    Post subject:  

In Lupu, ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbclient /usr/bin/smbclient didn't work, but
cp did. (probably the same reason that a link to .mozilla never worked very long if at all).

Maybe a reason people are having trouble with lupu, CUPS 1.4.3 ??
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010, 07:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
In Lupu, ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbclient /usr/bin/smbclient didn't work,

In the latest Lupu, the folder /opt/samba is gone and its files have been moved into /usr/bin.

You will also notice that the traditional CUPS smb: backend, which used smbspool, is now missing. It has been replaced by a new version that uses smbclient.
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep 2010, 07:57    Post subject:  

Using CUPS 1.4.3 - if the "Maintenance" and "Administration" drop-down list menu items can be activated please be so kind as to explain how.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep 2010, 08:53    Post subject:  

Sir Jasper wrote:
Using CUPS 1.4.3 - if the "Maintenance" and "Administration" drop-down list menu items can be activated please be so kind as to explain how.

In the older versions of Lupu that used Netsurf as the default browser, those menus didn't work. You need the new Lupu that has Midori as the default browser.
thelash

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 06:44    Post subject: lupu 511 cups not working.
Subject description: server errors

Have upgraded to Lupu 511 on my IBM t22 laptop. Running live, I was able to successfully install my hp deskjet f2180 printer using cups 1.4.3. On making a save file, this install appeared to transfer successfully, however, after a couple of shutdowns and installation of other software including go open office 3.2, I lost printing and was back to the dreaded 'server error 500' when attempting to leave the cups home page. Installed 1.3.11 pet and ghostscript files as per this forum topic, and have got the 1.3.11 home screen up on both midori and firefox 3.6.8, but can get no further - clicking on any menu entry doesn't load anything - screen stays where it is.
Can't print, can't use cups server, haven't got a clue where to go from here.
(Tried setting up on live run then creating save file a couple more times, but always ended up losing printing.)

Any clues anyone? Is it possible to remove cups completely and start again?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 09:37    Post subject:  

I've never seen this 500 error myself, so it's difficult to comment. But here's what I would do.

1. Start a fresh frugal install and immediately make a savefile.

2. Reboot using the savefile and install the printer. Verify that it works.

3. Start adding/changing other items and test your printer each time.

Are you installing this printer locally through USB or through your network?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep 2010, 15:26    Post subject:  

@thelash:

I did some googling and your problem may be due to some corrupt print jobs. Try this set of commands:
Code:
/etc/init.d/cups stop
rm -rf /var/spool/cups
rm -rf /var/run/cups
rm -rf /var/cache/cups
/etc/init.d/cups start
thelash

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep 2010, 05:33    Post subject: lupu 511 cups not working (SOLVED)
Subject description: server errors

A big thank you rcrsn51 for all your help and the time you must have spent mulling over my hassles. Tried the commands in your last post to no avail, so went to your suggestion of a fresh frugal and adding things till cups broke.
I have discovered the culprit - I have a Go Open Office 3.2 squash file which I downloaded a while ago from somewhere on the forum. Soon as I set bootup to load it, I got the 500 server error and no response from the cups home page - both 1.4.3 and 1.3.11. With this sfs removed, I've been able to set up printing in cups 1.4.3 with no hassles and have loaded all the programs etc onto my pupsave that I want. Interestingly, I've set up an old openoffice.org version 1.1.4 from way back in my puppy 2 days with no problems - this is not an sfs but is the actual files which I have on my hard drive and have linked into my save file to preserve storage space. I may yet convert it to an sfs to see if it breaks the system. I haven't a clue why my Go Open Office sfs does this - any ideas?
Thanks again for your help.
Bilby

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov 2010, 01:07    Post subject: Thanks for this thread  

I'm a Puppy newbie, just installed today.

The only real problem I had was getting my HP printer to work.

Your advice regarding the HP driver worked. So thanks
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 14:37    Post subject: Hp CJ 1215  

I am using 431. I really do not want to change distros but if necessary I will.

Would you mind supplying the icm files for that printer, the Hp Colorjet 1215?

Thank you for all your efforts
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 15:35    Post subject:  

Please see my reply in the other thread concerning the correct foo2xxx package to use with Puppy 4.3.1.
Page 1 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: