Migrate from pupsave to multisession? (Solved - twice!)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
huskey

Migrate from pupsave to multisession? (Solved - twice!)

#1 Post by huskey »

Hello All,

First post to the forum, so my query may not be 100% clear. Anyway here goes ....

I'm using Puppy Linux 4.31 LiveCD, with all my setting and additional installed apps stored in pupsave_431.2fs on hard drive. I wish to migration from pupsave to multisession LiveCD.

Does anyone how I can do this?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Whatever you do, use a rewritable DVD or CD until you get it figured out. :) (Theoretically a DVD+RW is best, but -RW has worked fine for me.)

Aside from that I really can't give you much advice. I've been running Puppy from multisession DVD+RW (and an occasional CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RW) in a computer without a hard disk drive for years, but never switched to multisession from some other way of running Puppy.

If there is a Save icon on your desktop, maybe this would work: Burn the Puppy iso of your choice onto a DVD+RW using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, then, with the newly-burned DVD still in the burner, click the Save icon. You may first have to find (in RAM) the file that tells the Save script what to do and reset it to its pristine state, but that might not be too hard. Again, this might not work. I've never done anything like what you want to do. Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

tony

#3 Post by tony »

HI,

a lot depend on your computer. If it boots from a USB port you might try a USB memory stick.

Investigate the grub boot loader, it can be installed on pretty much anything and rcrsn51 has posted a lot of usefull information on using it.

Use the puppy google search engine :-

http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Hope this helps.

Regards Tony.

huskey

#4 Post by huskey »

@ Flash, Tony : Thanks for your suggestions. I've used the suggestion by Flash to come up with, what seems to be a working solution :)

This is the method that I used which involves overwriting the /etc/rc.d/PUPSTAT file with one that is created during multisession bootup i.e. PUPMODE=77

A) Make a copy of /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE file containing PUPMODE=77. If you have such a file then proceed to STEP B

1) Make a multsession LiveCD using ISO
2) Boot puppy from LiveCD
3) Shutdown puppy, opt to save personal configuration to the multisession CD/DVD that was used to boot puppy
4) Boot up puppy again using the same CD used in step 3, this time puppy will load the personal configuration file from CD
5) The /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE should now contain PUPMODE=77. Make a copy of /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to HDD or flash drive.
6) Shutdown puppy

B) Boot Puppy using LiveCD (using PUPSAVE configuration file from HDD/Flash drive) and Overwrite /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE with that of a Multisession puppy

1) Make a multisession LiveCD using ISO
2) Boot puppy from LiveCD, opt to use the pupsave from HDD/Flash drive containing your personal configuration
3) Overwrite /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE, with that backed up in STEP A5
4) Shutdown puppy. This time you will be asked to store to CD used to bootup puppy.

All your configuration + installed programs will not be stored on multisession CD.

One note of caution, if your pupsave file is large, the conversion to multisession will work, however, your computer memory needs to be large enough to cope. Otherwise, puppy will halt during multisession bootup, complaining about 'Memory Full'.

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi, huskey.

Your technical knowledge is probably greater than mine... Here's the simplest way to do it, IMHO.

1) Do a remaster of your current Puppy. All your configs and new apps will be stored on it.
2) Burn the new iso to DVD.

I tried it and it just works. Voilà!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

yordanj94

#6 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi again.
Thanks for your help.
So when i remaster my multisession DVD i copy all from root and etc directory to a folder with remastered puppy.
Then choose not to make an iso, just copy the three main files in another folder configure G4D and at next reboot puppy did the rest.
So now i have all on my hdd.
Thanks a lot.
20 years ago here in Bulgaria used to live a lot boys and from Vietnam.
They ate their puppies too.That's not a joke .After they left we got a lot puppies here .
Bye bye.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Then you could recommend the most tasty way to cook the Puppy iso? Fried? Stewed? Also a sauce, perhaps? Is it preferable to serve white wine or red wine with this Puppy ? :D

Just being silly!

On a serious note, I understand what you are saying. A former co-worker, a Somalian immigrant, told me that when he arrived in Ottawa, he survived by catching and cooking pigeons....
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I tried to split this thread from yordan's first post (asking how to make a frugal install from a multisession disk,) but something went wrong and I deleted his first post and the first reply to it instead. Sorry. :oops:

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Hi, flash.

I think you deleted one of my posts (two above this one, I think) too, where I explained how to create a frugal install from an remastered iso with all your personal settings and programs.. And then made a joke about the fact that the only thing you couldn't do with this Puppy iso is eat it!

Maybe you didn't like the joke. Oh, well...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~