11%
2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

MinHundHettePerro

#3781 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

BTW, how do I change the number of desktops in 214X-xfce, I know I've done it in other xfce distros, but can't seem to find how to do it here :shock: :oops: :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

jemimah

#3782 Post by jemimah »

ttuuxxx wrote:I'm easy if superswitcher stays or goes, It was introduced into 2.14X just to give a function to the "Windows" key next to the alt key, but I never use it, plus it does take some resources.
ttuuxxx
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xbindkeys-config

This is what I use for such things. Nice GUI, easy to configure.

sinc

#3783 Post by sinc »

okay, it does work now that i've killed superswitcher.

and as of yet i have not had the frozen menu that darkstrike was referring to.

darkstrike

#3784 Post by darkstrike »

Yeah, no menu issues for me either anymore Sinc, n00b question though, what file to I edit to permanently kill SuperSwitcher on startup?

ttuuxxx

#3785 Post by ttuuxxx »

darkstrike wrote:Yeah, no menu issues for me either anymore Sinc, n00b question though, what file to I edit to permanently kill SuperSwitcher on startup?
lol it was on the previous page, /root/Startup/superswitcher and restart x :)
also have you notice much of a resource change, I'm just wondering if this is the future of classic pup, I don't want to drastically reduce older pc's from using this release.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

darkstrike

#3786 Post by darkstrike »

Oh, sorry I missed it Ttuuxxx!

As for resource use, nope, not really, so kudos to ya! Seems as "fast" as it had been before, but IMHO it's still certainly usable for basic stuff....e-mail, listening to some MP3s, IM chatting :)

Then again, I'm doing a lot of small tweaking, so once I finish up it should be a LITTTTLLLEEEEE faster than it is now :)

I'll report back over the next day or so until I get it all sorted.

James C

#3787 Post by James C »

Been running this for a while now and nothing really to complain about.The things I've tried to use are all working and that's all anyone can ask. :)

James C

#3788 Post by James C »

ttuuxxx wrote: have you notice much of a resource change, I'm just wondering if this is the future of classic pup, I don't want to drastically reduce older pc's from using this
Since I have the original 214xRC5 on one partition and 214x-top3 on another I've been doing a bit of unscientific comparison. Basically using the info from Htop I'd say the Metacity version uses slightly more resources than the original version.

My other post was from top3, FF one tab open here posting using 85-90 mb ram while this post is from the original 214x one tab open on FF using between 67-74 mb of ram.
Hard to tell about the cpu since it fluctuates so much.

But just running both versions, I actually can't really tell much of a difference :lol:
Sometimes numbers are just numbers. :)

ttuuxxx

#3789 Post by ttuuxxx »

Thanks for the reply james :)
looks very promising then, I would like one day for jwm to use graphic files for the window decorations and taskbar like Icewm.
but this new combo is pretty nice. Haven't read any real complaints against it other than super switcher.
cool
ttuuxxx
Ps thanks once again for comparing

clarf

Re: 214X

#3790 Post by clarf »

jduffy22335 wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote: Also have had "senior moments" with the grub menu for this, if I add pfix=fsck, it occurs after log out, before shutdown. Also noticed that the default save file goes in "home" even though it loaded main SFS from a sub directory, and shows other save files in a sub directory to choose to load at start up. Didn't this get resolved in earlier versions? I want to think it did.
Hi, you can bypass the pup_save search and later show screen, if you add the PUPSAVE location in GRUB, here is mine for frugal:
root (h0,0)
kernel /puppy214test/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd SFSFILE=ext3,hdb3,/puppy214test/pup_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ext3,hdb3,/puppy214test/pup_save.3fs
initrd /puppy214R/initrd.gz

This is the default behavior for 214X it use the first pup_214X.sfs file found and yet do the pup_save search.

Greetings,
clarf

puppyluvr

#3791 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Well, I`m back and a little behind...
D/L this one now, should be perfect for my "dinosaur"..
(Does it still need to be in "boot" like the last one I tried...?)
I`ll get back after I check it out....
Ahhh, its nice to be back....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jduffy22335

Re: 214X

#3792 Post by jduffy22335 »

clarf wrote:

Hi, you can bypass the pup_save search and later show screen, if you add the PUPSAVE location in GRUB, here is mine for frugal:

root (h0,0)
kernel /puppy214test/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd SFSFILE=ext3,hdb3,/puppy214test/pup_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ext3,hdb3,/puppy214test/pup_save.3fs
initrd /puppy214R/initrd.gz

: This is the default behavior for 214X it use the first pup_214X.sfs file found and yet do the pup_save search.

Thanks Clarf, your name is the one I remember identifying/correcting some of the quirks we initially found with 214X, since we were already "trained" with the 4.2 + versions.

sullysat

#3793 Post by sullysat »

Well, I too have been swamped with work and have fallen behind in keeping up with things here. So today I took some time to take care of that.

The mirror linked below has been updated. Please let me know if you find any issues and let me know if I missed anything that should be there.

The direct link to the 214X page, is http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html

Thanks to all those who continue to make this project shine!

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

clarf

#3794 Post by clarf »

Hi,

I´m suited to use the Window key for many tasks in Windows XP, sadly Superswitcher developer is lazy to add new features (no new updates in ages) and this application sometimes reuses to work, even in previous 214X versions. In my opinion It takes too much RAM to add one single function to Win Key, jemimah suggestions looks good instead.

About the resources and performance comparisons. I also made some test..

metacity seems very fast and light just twice the RAM usage of jwm, but XFCE is too big actually is more than twice the size of metacity, about five or four times jwm. Looking at process level, Taskbar is the process identified as xfce-panel, each additional component is an additional xfce-menu-plugin process (for example Xfce menu is an additional process called xfce-menu-plugin the same as modem lights and other taskbar components) that uses more RAM.

about future 214X releases:

Considering that 214X has newer (and of course bigger) libraries, applications and functions, actually it´s size has grown considerably. In the near future it will limit the usability range in old machines for higher memory requirements (and I would like to add some stuff that will speed up 214X functionality but eventually will need more memory resources).

I consider it´s time to divide Classic Pup 214X in two branchs and make more experiments like it. A new forum thread could be good too.

Classic Pup 214X actually is recognize for it´s extended use in old hardware, basically a good combination of size, features, kernel version and stability, but I´m sure it´s usage can be extended for good looking, innovation and a mix of cutting edge/classic stuff too.

I applaud ttuuxxx achievements and vision, I´ll be more than pleased to test and support new Classic Pup variants.

clarf

MinHundHettePerro

#3795 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:BTW, how do I change the number of desktops in 214X-xfce, I know I've done it in other xfce distros, but can't seem to find how to do it here :shock: :oops: :).
To answer my own question:
Rename (uncomment) /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml to /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml, i.e. remove the leading % from the filename, and edit the line

Code: Select all

<entry name="num_workspaces" mtime="1282316500" type="int" value="2">
to read

Code: Select all

value="3"
Took some fumbling in the dark, peeking and poking around, to find out how... Anyhow, I'm a much happier puppeteer now that I have 3 virtual desktops... :shock:...

First impressions after settling my itch for 3 DTs:
there's a lot of jwm stuff left; in the desktop menu, control panel...
I could see a need/use for corresponding tools to set up metacity.
I'm so spoiled with right-clicking on the desktop bringing up the main menu - haven't found that one out yet...

Apart from the settings issue with the new Wm-Panel combo, it feels as quick and responsive as 214X always has :).

I've learnt my way around jwm and feel quite comfortable with its settings, and I'm definitely not much of a theme switcher (standard 214X GTK-theme + gradient gray jwm-theme for visibility).

Does this sound a tad bit negative? It's not intended to, I did welcome BK's experiment with openbox in Q1.00, I found it amusing to try out the various WMs that came up to discussion in gposil's dpup thread (pekwm was one of them, I believe). I do come back to the jwm/Rox combo (although, I use xfe as much as I use Rox as file manager), perhaps mostly for familiarity... :)

MHHP

ttuuxxx

#3796 Post by ttuuxxx »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote: First impressions after settling my itch for 3 DTs:
there's a lot of jwm stuff left; in the desktop menu, control panel...
MHHP
Jwm still works, just exit X server to command prompt and type startx jwm
then open a terminal when jwm appears and type killall xfce4-panel
I might make a switcher for jwm and xfce/metacity like I made for 4.2 with jwm/icewm that worked nicely :)
like everything else it takes a bit of time to get used to newer WM combo's. :)
ttuuxxx

MinHundHettePerro

#3797 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

ttuuxxx wrote:Jwm still works, just exit X server to command prompt and type startx jwm...
Good, thanks :). Don't know why I jumped to the conclusion that the metacity/xfce-panel combo replaced jwm rather than merely was provided in addition to jwm :oops:...

Knowing jwm is still there makes it easier to shift to top-3 from RC5, having a well-known fallback, should I fail to set the new wm/panel combo up :D :).

MHHP

Keef

Firefox settings not saved

#3798 Post by Keef »

Hello All,

Been running a frugal install of top-3 for a few days. Very nice, but as the title says, Firefox refuses to save any settings. Actually, with the standard 214X I have that problem with Geany for some reason.
Also, after a while, I sometimes lose the wifi connection, and if I open up the network manager, the saved profile has disappeared. It is there if I reboot though....
The only clue is that on both, when I shutdown / reboot, this message appears:

¨tail: cannot open ´+2´ file or directory cannot be found¨ (or words to that effect)

On the original 214X I reinstalled and used a new savefile, but the problem reappeared.

upnorth

re: Firefox settings not saved

#3799 Post by upnorth »

¨tail: cannot open ´+2´ file or directory cannot be found¨ (or words to that effect)

I had the exact same problem, for a while, then fixed my frugal install by editing menu.lst according to clarf's instructions on previous page. Now it works. Also, the .gconf directory was acting the same way as the .mozilla directory.

Seems fine now. I had manually edited group gshadow passwd and shadow, so I thought I screwed something up - not sure.

It's all working great now.

Keef

#3800 Post by Keef »

upnorth

Thatś the menu.lst entry that I have been using for quite a while. In fact I was thinking of reverting to having the pupsave outside of the directory, and seeing if that helped, but I doubt it. Will try it tomorrow perhaps.