HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
steve_s

HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux

#1 Post by steve_s »

Just for fun yesterday, I committed blasphemy: I installed and ran MSOffice on Puppy Linux.

I used instructions from here and from
here.

I used this version of wine and this version of cabextract, username puppy password linux.

I was running Puppy Linux 4.0 and using MSOffice Pro Edition, 2003.

I did this mostly to get MS Publisher to run in wine and it works almost seemlessly. The only one that I can't get to work is Excel (**Edit**: got it to work; see post on page two of thread) as it keeps giving me error messages and crashing. But with OpenOffice and KOffice and GOffice both Word and Excel are not really needed.

Here are the instructions:

Code: Select all

winecfg
Set a virtual desktop if you wish, this is also a good time to set your sound driver. You will also want to set richedit20.dll, richedit32.dll & msxml3.dll as navite (Windows). Notice that this setting, not "Native then Builtin", is the only setting that works. You change this setting my going to libraries tab, then clicking on the drob down arrow, picking the library, adding it, then using the edit button to pick the settings for each library.

Now install the richedit30 (download that to /root/.wine/drive_c)update, but first make sure you go to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and rename richedit20.dll, richedit32.dll and msxml3.dll to *.bak or the updates wont work properly.

cd /root/.wine/drive_c/
wine richedit30.exe
Agree to the licensing and whatnot to install it
Download "msxml3.msi" from here. (Scroll down a little on that page and pick Download for msxml3.msi).
I download that to the /root/.wine/drive_c/ folder then in terminal cd to that directory then run this command.

wine msiexec /i msxml3.msi
Agree to the licensing and whatnot here again.

winecfg
In the Libraries tab, add "msxml3" from the dropdown list and Add it
Select "msxml3", Click Edit, and set it to Native(Windows) as well
Click Apply, Click OK

Now install Microsoft Office 11 (2003) as you would on any other Windows OS, be it from CD, Shared Network, whatever. I did it from the CD and it worked fine.

In order to run anything I run the commands by cd'ing to the directory then running the program. I'm sure I can write a script using these commands then setting an icon for each of them on the desktop, but I haven't done that yet.

cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
cd Microsoft\ Office/
cd OFFICE11/
wine MSPUB.EXE
When it asks for whatever it does with Word, register or whatever, I did the required one and it worked fine. Good luck and feedback appreciated.
Attachments
word1.jpg
Word running in Puppy.
(86.49 KiB) Downloaded 6271 times
powerpoint1.jpg
Powerpoint running in Puppy.
(98.44 KiB) Downloaded 6236 times
publisher1.jpg
Publisher running in Puppy.
(89.16 KiB) Downloaded 6203 times
Last edited by steve_s on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 22:31, edited 4 times in total.

steve_s

#2 Post by steve_s »

Oh, and I made an MSOffice sfs file but I just can't get that to work. It acts as it does when you just copy Office to an area but don't actually install it. It gives a pop-up of IOCL error or something. Oh, well. 8)

steve_s

#3 Post by steve_s »

By the way, before I install anything in wine, a standard practice of mine, assuming I'm using a frugal install, is to move wine to /mnt/home/.wine and then link .wine to /root/. Doing this keeps the huge files that Window's uses via wine in /mnt/home and out of my save file. 8)

Mobeus

#4 Post by Mobeus »

Congratulations!

Excel uses MDAC so this might help, maybe? Maybe not. I can use *.mdb database files after doing this, though not with my Access 97. I never have succeeded installing that in wine.

winetricks mdac28
winetricks jet40
winetricks allfonts

Run wine regedit and add the odbc-jet40.reg file attached below to get mdac working.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)]
"APILevel"="1"
"ConnectFunctions"="YYN"
"Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\odbcjt32.dll"
"DriverODBCVer"="02.50"
"FileExtns"="*.mdb"
"FileUsage"="2"
"Setup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\odbcjt32.dll"
"SQLTrace"="0"
"UsageCount"=dword:00000002
Mobeus

EDIT: Hmmm Installing Office probably installed this already?

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

First of all, welcome, Mobeus! Hope you enjoy Puppy...

And thank you for the congratulations.

As far as getting Excel to go, no, that didn't do it. It is something elusive, for sure. It just says, "Sorry, there's an error. Do you want to report it?" etc. for the usual error message, but I can't get past it. Nothing obvious in running it from terminal either...wine/windows can be mysterious for sure.

I'm still open to ideas. :wink:

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

And because I wrote a script for each of the Office programs that I care anything about, I thought I'd share them via a pet if anyone wants them.

For example, winword looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
cd Microsoft\ Office/
cd OFFICE11/
wine WINWORD.EXE
I'm not much of a scripter, but gets the job done. So, to run Windows, once the scripts are installed in /usr/bin/, for MS Word I just run:

winword
That will also make it easier to set up an icon. Assuming you are using jwm, just drag each script from usr/bin/ to the desktop, right click it>File 'winword'>Set icon, then drag an icon that you like for it, then you're good to go.

I did that for Word, Powerpoint, Publisher and Excel (even though I haven't been able to get Excel to run right yet). I've included those in the pet. Not much, but since I did it for myself, thought I'd share. 8)
Attachments
icon-suggestion.jpg
Icon idea.
(36.22 KiB) Downloaded 6167 times
winscripts.pet
Command line scripts that will run already installed MSOffice programs via wine.
(517 Bytes) Downloaded 1126 times

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

I also just realized that I can now, if I want, do a remaster of this Puppy and have a livecd of MSOffice (and Puppy) to carry around and use. Try doing that with Windows (or most other Linux's, for that matter). Puppy rocks! 8)

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi steve_s,

Thank you very much for this thread.

Even though I do not have any version of MSOffice this post has been a huge help to me. I needed an updated version of richedit20.dll in order to run the Windows program KeyNote 1.6.5 - however (although I have tried that previously) I was not aware about the "windows native" option under Wine Configuration Libraries before studying your above method.

I was also interested in your comment on Wine and Space with a Frugal install. I keep all my Wine Programs and Data in /mnt/home/wineprograms (about 600MB) , but my save file has large Wine Directories as follows:

52 MB in .wine
84 MB in usr/lib/wine (of which 10 MB is in a sub-directory called fakedlls)

I am using Lucid Puppy 5.1 and the Quickpet Wine item says it needs 17 MB - so I am confused although I have plenty of save-space - so the apparent anomaly does not seem to be important; especially since my "KeyNote" program problem is now resolved thanks to you.

My regards

steve_s

#9 Post by steve_s »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi steve_s,

Thank you very much for this thread.

Even though I do not have any version of MSOffice this post has been a huge help to me. I needed an updated version of richedit20.dll in order to run the Windows program KeyNote 1.6.5 - however (although I have tried that previously) I was not aware about the "windows native" option under Wine Configuration Libraries before studying your above method.

... especially since my "KeyNote" program problem is now resolved thanks to you.

My regards
Absolutely...you're quite welcome. 8)

ragaman

#10 Post by ragaman »

Hi steve_s. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried printing your work?

Mobeus

#11 Post by Mobeus »

Out of curiosity I searched for wine +Excel and turned up this page where they have Excel 2003 working with an older wine. http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/r ... -0952.html
One interesting thing I learned was this
You might need to mount your Office 2003 CD with the option -o unhide. This will avoid having problems with hidden files during installation.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
If you’re interested.

Personally I use Ooo Calc :)

Mobeus

steve_s

#12 Post by steve_s »

ragaman wrote:Hi steve_s. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried printing your work?
You're welcome!

You mean printing from Word or Publisher? No, I haven't tried that, but I have been saving stuff from there and they work fine with that in that they see the linux file system just fine. I don't see why printing wouldn't work, but please experiment and post back for us... 8)

steve_s

#13 Post by steve_s »

Mobeus wrote:Out of curiosity I searched for wine +Excel and turned up this page where they have Excel 2003 working with an older wine. http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/r ... -0952.html
One interesting thing I learned was this
You might need to mount your Office 2003 CD with the option -o unhide. This will avoid having problems with hidden files during installation.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
If you’re interested.

Personally I use Ooo Calc :)

Mobeus
thanks for continually looking on this, Mobeus. That is the one thing I'm still researching.

That's how I loaded the cd, so that isn't it...they all installed just fine, no problem, yet Excel is still grumpy.

I am running this version of Puppy from a livecd and a save file and the save file is on a computer that has XP installed with Office on it. So I'm thinking about copying all the *.dll files from /WINDOWS/system32/ into the wine system32 folder, but I'm going to search around and see if there is another solution first. :wink:

steve_s

#14 Post by steve_s »

Also saw this on here for Excel:

Excel 2003

If Excel locks up when you select a data table and a error is printed in your terminal as.

fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x10062, 0x136c78): stub

You will need to install a native imm32.dll from Windows and set Excel to use it. Make sure to set imm32.dll only for Excel by adding a application in winecfg EXCEL.EXE and then select EXCEL.EXE and go to the Libraries tab and add imm32.dll as native/builtin.

That didn't help me but it may help others.

steve_s

FONTS

#15 Post by steve_s »

I wanted to mention that, because this is running on a pc with XP already on it, to make life easier for me regarding fonts I just copied them from Windows to the wine fonts folder.

Both of those are in WINDOWS/Fonts. So, XP is on the C: drive in Windows/Fonts while in wine it's in /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/.

Easiest way to copy it that I know is to open both folders in Rox and drag and drop and if it wants to over-write, I just selected no repeatedly.

I tried to do this with winetricks but it hung trying to download arial fonts. After 11 tries I just went this route.

Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper »

Hi steve_s,

If you haven't already seen, it might be worth a look at http://sudosys.be/?q=office2007_wine (even though with different versions of Linux, Wine and MS Office - Excel was said to work).

Also, I wonder if it might be worth trying the Wine Application Configuration (just for Excel) as say, 98 or Vista.

Also, if you haven't tried, I wonder if might it be worth running a process manager in Windows when running Excel to see which dlls are used.

I don't hold out much hope with the above, but I'll be both surprised and sorry if you do not find your answer. Anyways, good luck!

My regards

steve_s

#17 Post by steve_s »

This post works wonders for fixing that choppy looking font effect in Wine. Great job, vovchik! 8)

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

Sir Jasper wrote: Also, I wonder if it might be worth trying the Wine Application Configuration (just for Excel) as say, 98 or Vista.
Sir Jasper: how do you run the Wine Application Configuration? Pointers? I'm going to check out that other stuff...

What time is it in England right now? 8)

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

Ok...now I've got 'em all working, including Excel.

I got it to work like this: I reinserted the Office 2003 disk, ran it, and select Repair/Install and then had it go through the "repair" process.

Then I had seen this trick on another mailing list website, and don't know if it is significant, but it works now, so maybe it is: when I start Excel for the first time it asks for the Owner name (or company or something) and it has "root" as the default option. I changed it to ".wine" without the quotes and for initials I put "PL" (I don't think changing the initials matter...thought Puppy Linux would do fine).

Now it runs great. 8)

**EDIT**: nevermind, crashed again. I'll reboot and try again later. :cry:

Jasper

#20 Post by Jasper »

Hi steve_s,

Seems as though you're dangerously close to success.

If you open the Wine configuration file Applications tab and click the "Add application" button then navigate to "excel.exe" (assuming that is the correct launch name) then from the drop down list choose which Windows version you want to use (just for Excel) and click OK.

The time here is 27 minutes past midnight.

My regards