Lexmark Z515 not working

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
LinuxFan2010

Lexmark Z515 not working

#1 Post by LinuxFan2010 »

Hi there. The new one here :)

First of all, I would like to say that Puppy Linux really is a great little OS. Pretty much the fastest and cleanest experience I have ever had.

My only issue is with CUPS.

After spending a hell of a time finding the proper driver, I set everything up (un-rpmed the whole driver, located the Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj.cups.ppd and moved it into /usr/share/cups/model and added the corresponding printer to CUPS). Unfortunately, the printer does not respond at all.

Print jobs are simply removed after a couple of seconds and nothing further seems to happen.

I am fairly new to printing with Linux, so I do not know if I simply got the wrong driver (even though it was confirmed by Gentoo and Debian users that this was the right driver) or forgot to add something to a certain library.

Printing with Abiword Processor did not work, either.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You can download a PET for the Z600 driver from here.

Install it and run CUPS again. Look for it under Lexmark.

A PPD file by itself is usually not enough to install a printer in CUPS. It is just a configuration file that sets up the print job for the actual driver.

[Edit] The original download link was broken. I have fixed it.

LinuxFan2010

#3 Post by LinuxFan2010 »

Thank you so much.

That one worked like a charm. Pristine print quality, as well.

Quite interesting to see so many solutions to one problem, btw. I found at least 4 different ways of setting up printing devices in less than a day.