Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 22:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 11:48    Post subject:  HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux
Subject description: ISO Remaster was a success at 477MB

Just for fun yesterday, I committed blasphemy: I installed and ran MSOffice on Puppy Linux.

I used instructions from here and from
here.

I used this version of wine and this version of cabextract, username puppy password linux.

I was running Puppy Linux 4.0 and using MSOffice Pro Edition, 2003.

I did this mostly to get MS Publisher to run in wine and it works almost seemlessly. The only one that I can't get to work is Excel (**Edit**: got it to work; see post on page two of thread) as it keeps giving me error messages and crashing. But with OpenOffice and KOffice and GOffice both Word and Excel are not really needed.

Here are the instructions:

Code:

winecfg

Set a virtual desktop if you wish, this is also a good time to set your sound driver. You will also want to set richedit20.dll, richedit32.dll & msxml3.dll as navite (Windows). Notice that this setting, not "Native then Builtin", is the only setting that works. You change this setting my going to libraries tab, then clicking on the drob down arrow, picking the library, adding it, then using the edit button to pick the settings for each library.

Now install the richedit30 (download that to /root/.wine/drive_c)update, but first make sure you go to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and rename richedit20.dll, richedit32.dll and msxml3.dll to *.bak or the updates wont work properly.

Code:

cd /root/.wine/drive_c/
wine richedit30.exe

Agree to the licensing and whatnot to install it
Download "msxml3.msi" from here. (Scroll down a little on that page and pick Download for msxml3.msi).
I download that to the /root/.wine/drive_c/ folder then in terminal cd to that directory then run this command.
Code:

wine msiexec /i msxml3.msi

Agree to the licensing and whatnot here again.

Code:

winecfg

In the Libraries tab, add "msxml3" from the dropdown list and Add it
Select "msxml3", Click Edit, and set it to Native(Windows) as well
Click Apply, Click OK

Now install Microsoft Office 11 (2003) as you would on any other Windows OS, be it from CD, Shared Network, whatever. I did it from the CD and it worked fine.

In order to run anything I run the commands by cd'ing to the directory then running the program. I'm sure I can write a script using these commands then setting an icon for each of them on the desktop, but I haven't done that yet.

Code:

cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
cd Microsoft\ Office/
cd OFFICE11/
wine MSPUB.EXE

When it asks for whatever it does with Word, register or whatever, I did the required one and it worked fine. Good luck and feedback appreciated.
word1.jpg
 Description   Word running in Puppy.
 Filesize   86.49 KB
 Viewed   4104 Time(s)

word1.jpg

powerpoint1.jpg
 Description   Powerpoint running in Puppy.
 Filesize   98.44 KB
 Viewed   4127 Time(s)

powerpoint1.jpg

publisher1.jpg
 Description   Publisher running in Puppy.
 Filesize   89.16 KB
 Viewed   3989 Time(s)

publisher1.jpg

Last edited by steve_s on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 18:31; edited 4 times in total
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 12:03    Post subject:  

Oh, and I made an MSOffice sfs file but I just can't get that to work. It acts as it does when you just copy Office to an area but don't actually install it. It gives a pop-up of IOCL error or something. Oh, well. Cool
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 14:21    Post subject:  

By the way, before I install anything in wine, a standard practice of mine, assuming I'm using a frugal install, is to move wine to /mnt/home/.wine and then link .wine to /root/. Doing this keeps the huge files that Window's uses via wine in /mnt/home and out of my save file. Cool
Mobeus

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 14:33    Post subject:  

Congratulations!

Excel uses MDAC so this might help, maybe? Maybe not. I can use *.mdb database files after doing this, though not with my Access 97. I never have succeeded installing that in wine.

winetricks mdac28
winetricks jet40
winetricks allfonts

Run wine regedit and add the odbc-jet40.reg file attached below to get mdac working.

Code:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)]
"APILevel"="1"
"ConnectFunctions"="YYN"
"Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\odbcjt32.dll"
"DriverODBCVer"="02.50"
"FileExtns"="*.mdb"
"FileUsage"="2"
"Setup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\odbcjt32.dll"
"SQLTrace"="0"
"UsageCount"=dword:00000002

Mobeus

EDIT: Hmmm Installing Office probably installed this already?
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 16:05    Post subject:  

First of all, welcome, Mobeus! Hope you enjoy Puppy...

And thank you for the congratulations.

As far as getting Excel to go, no, that didn't do it. It is something elusive, for sure. It just says, "Sorry, there's an error. Do you want to report it?" etc. for the usual error message, but I can't get past it. Nothing obvious in running it from terminal either...wine/windows can be mysterious for sure.

I'm still open to ideas. Wink
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 16:20    Post subject:  

And because I wrote a script for each of the Office programs that I care anything about, I thought I'd share them via a pet if anyone wants them.

For example, winword looks like this:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
cd Microsoft\ Office/
cd OFFICE11/
wine WINWORD.EXE

I'm not much of a scripter, but gets the job done. So, to run Windows, once the scripts are installed in /usr/bin/, for MS Word I just run:
Code:

winword

That will also make it easier to set up an icon. Assuming you are using jwm, just drag each script from usr/bin/ to the desktop, right click it>File 'winword'>Set icon, then drag an icon that you like for it, then you're good to go.

I did that for Word, Powerpoint, Publisher and Excel (even though I haven't been able to get Excel to run right yet). I've included those in the pet. Not much, but since I did it for myself, thought I'd share. Cool
icon-suggestion.jpg
 Description   Icon idea.
 Filesize   36.22 KB
 Viewed   4004 Time(s)

icon-suggestion.jpg

winscripts.pet
Description  Command line scripts that will run already installed MSOffice programs via wine.
pet

Download 
Filename  winscripts.pet 
Filesize  517 Bytes 
Downloaded  395 Time(s) 
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 16:34    Post subject:  

I also just realized that I can now, if I want, do a remaster of this Puppy and have a livecd of MSOffice (and Puppy) to carry around and use. Try doing that with Windows (or most other Linux's, for that matter). Puppy rocks! Cool
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 16:49    Post subject:  

Hi steve_s,

Thank you very much for this thread.

Even though I do not have any version of MSOffice this post has been a huge help to me. I needed an updated version of richedit20.dll in order to run the Windows program KeyNote 1.6.5 - however (although I have tried that previously) I was not aware about the "windows native" option under Wine Configuration Libraries before studying your above method.

I was also interested in your comment on Wine and Space with a Frugal install. I keep all my Wine Programs and Data in /mnt/home/wineprograms (about 600MB) , but my save file has large Wine Directories as follows:

52 MB in .wine
84 MB in usr/lib/wine (of which 10 MB is in a sub-directory called fakedlls)

I am using Lucid Puppy 5.1 and the Quickpet Wine item says it needs 17 MB - so I am confused although I have plenty of save-space - so the apparent anomaly does not seem to be important; especially since my "KeyNote" program problem is now resolved thanks to you.

My regards
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 16:57    Post subject:  

Sir Jasper wrote:
Hi steve_s,

Thank you very much for this thread.

Even though I do not have any version of MSOffice this post has been a huge help to me. I needed an updated version of richedit20.dll in order to run the Windows program KeyNote 1.6.5 - however (although I have tried that previously) I was not aware about the "windows native" option under Wine Configuration Libraries before studying your above method.

... especially since my "KeyNote" program problem is now resolved thanks to you.

My regards

Absolutely...you're quite welcome. Cool
ragaman

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 23:08    Post subject:  

Hi steve_s. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried printing your work?
Mobeus

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 23:12    Post subject:  

Out of curiosity I searched for wine +Excel and turned up this page where they have Excel 2003 working with an older wine. http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/running-ms-office-2003-under-linux-with-wine-0952.html
One interesting thing I learned was this
Quote:
You might need to mount your Office 2003 CD with the option -o unhide. This will avoid having problems with hidden files during installation.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
If you’re interested.

Personally I use Ooo Calc Smile

Mobeus
steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 15:34    Post subject:  

ragaman wrote:
Hi steve_s. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried printing your work?

You're welcome!

You mean printing from Word or Publisher? No, I haven't tried that, but I have been saving stuff from there and they work fine with that in that they see the linux file system just fine. I don't see why printing wouldn't work, but please experiment and post back for us... Cool
steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 15:37    Post subject:  

Mobeus wrote:
Out of curiosity I searched for wine +Excel and turned up this page where they have Excel 2003 working with an older wine. http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/running-ms-office-2003-under-linux-with-wine-0952.html
One interesting thing I learned was this
Quote:
You might need to mount your Office 2003 CD with the option -o unhide. This will avoid having problems with hidden files during installation.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
If you’re interested.

Personally I use Ooo Calc Smile

Mobeus

thanks for continually looking on this, Mobeus. That is the one thing I'm still researching.

That's how I loaded the cd, so that isn't it...they all installed just fine, no problem, yet Excel is still grumpy.

I am running this version of Puppy from a livecd and a save file and the save file is on a computer that has XP installed with Office on it. So I'm thinking about copying all the *.dll files from /WINDOWS/system32/ into the wine system32 folder, but I'm going to search around and see if there is another solution first. Wink
steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 15:40    Post subject:  

Also saw this on here for Excel:

Code:

Excel 2003

If Excel locks up when you select a data table and a error is printed in your terminal as.

fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x10062, 0x136c78): stub

You will need to install a native imm32.dll from Windows and set Excel to use it. Make sure to set imm32.dll only for Excel by adding a application in winecfg EXCEL.EXE and then select EXCEL.EXE and go to the Libraries tab and add imm32.dll as native/builtin.

That didn't help me but it may help others.
steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 15:46    Post subject: FONTS  

I wanted to mention that, because this is running on a pc with XP already on it, to make life easier for me regarding fonts I just copied them from Windows to the wine fonts folder.

Both of those are in WINDOWS/Fonts. So, XP is on the C: drive in Windows/Fonts while in wine it's in /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/.

Easiest way to copy it that I know is to open both folders in Rox and drag and drop and if it wants to over-write, I just selected no repeatedly.

I tried to do this with winetricks but it hung trying to download arial fonts. After 11 tries I just went this route.
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: