Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#421 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Sorry 01micko followed your instructions and still the default drive is not identified (both in jwm and icewm) on a full install, OK in a frugal install.
Just letting you know (sorry just noticed your last post)

Cheers
Stripe

01micko

#422 Post by 01micko »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

Sorry 01micko followed your instructions and still the default drive is not identified (both in jwm and icewm) on a full install, OK in a frugal install.
Just letting you know (sorry just noticed your last post)

Cheers
Stripe
Nah, confusion there.. my last post only concerned Icewm and the tray icons, nothing to do with drive icons... that is I think a woof issue, something Barry may have changed,

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

Re: synclient-wrapper

#423 Post by DaveS »

shinobar wrote:
DaveS wrote: Tried to set Flsynclient..... Synaptics not found!
Re-booted creating save file. Tried Flsynclient again... Synaptics not found.
Deleted save file, re-booted using classic configuration system. All no problem INCLUDING successful Synaptics install..
The Synaptics touchpad works from the first desktop, but the flsynclient fails.
I made a wrapper script which can be a solution.
Try this.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 668#444668
OK... fresh frugal install, no save file. Booted to desktop. Installed wrapper script. Attempted flsynclient.... Synaptics found, must restart X to use it. Attempted restart X, fail. Ran Xorg wizard... fail.
Hmmm....
Reboot, use classic configuration procedure, all fine.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Karl Godt

Thanks micko !

#424 Post by Karl Godt »

my last post only concerned Icewm and the tray icons
your script is working, 01micko :D
Attachments
taskbar-q30.jpg
(5.15 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times
Last edited by Karl Godt on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#425 Post by Karl Godt »

Yes that version info would be good as standard
You can also click the freestorageapplet:
Attachments
partview-q30.jpg
"freememapplet" opening `partview`
(9.61 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times

Stripe

#426 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Did someone mention an sfs installer? or have I read it elsewhere?

Cheers
Stripe

jrb

Firefox gibberish

#427 Post by jrb »

Wow, here's a weird one.

For reasons of my own I remastered luci-222.sfs and placed a permanent /etc/xrandrindex so that luci would automatically go to 1024x768. This worked fine, but Firefox (both the quickpet and others) began giving me gibberish :x when I used the scroll bar. Only with the scroll bar too, arrow keys and mouse wheel worked fine. (Opera worked fine)

To make a long story short I ended up going to full screen and the problem disappeared. I placed a custom fullscreen button on the navigation bar, played with various window sizes went back to normal view and couldn't get the problem to come back.

So I went to /root/ copied .mozilla, emptied the cache, and remastered the Firefox-3.6.6-Lucid.pet with my new .mozilla.

Now it works fine, go figure. :?

pemasu

#428 Post by pemasu »

Because I have mentioned it couple of times... Jrb`s sfs linker is what I use for sfs installing on the fly or at bootup. I hope jrb does not mind if I load it here. Even jrb`s own sfs files has worked fine in Lupu, at least what I have tested. Devx sfs and kernel source sfs I load traditionally when I need to compile. The latest and greatest....

Hmm... jrb just posted when I wrote this. Well I post this regardless.

jrb

#429 Post by jrb »

Playdayz wrote:we would like to have a one-click "automatic" sfs loader and a list of good sfs's that are "tested and configured"
Stripe wrote:Hi all

Did someone mention an sfs installer? or have I read it elsewhere?

Cheers
Stripe
I believe you saw Playdayz response to an earlier post of mine. What he was referring to was SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4.pet which I'm pleased to see is listed on the Quickpet SFS menu.

I have tried it in luci-219 - 22 and it works fine. I converted many of the Quickpets to SFS's and they all worked well.

I have made a couple of small revisions and have a couple more in mind and should be releasing a new version soon.

The important thing of course is to make sure the SFS's are luci compatible.

I will start doing a bit of development and we can see about fitting the needs of lupu-5.2.

Cheers, J

Stripe

#430 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Many thanks jrb and pemasu

Stripe

pemasu

#431 Post by pemasu »

Still in siderail with pulseaudio :)
Stream2ip developer seems to follow lucid development or he uses google search (more likely). He mailed me this:
Hi ,
so far stream2ip is tested on Ubuntu 10.04 only. Puppy has poor Python support, I'm afraid. Best you get pyGTK, and dependencies from GNOME: http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html
Anyway it's a good idea to use stream2ip when streaming to an AEX :-)
Tak

So I succeeded to import gtk but not gtk.glade. Now downloading devx 222 ( I hope it works with 220). I downloaded pygtk sources for compiling. Lets see...
Dependencies ? Little obscure at the moment.

Karl Godt

#432 Post by Karl Godt »

pmusic and gnome-mplayer don`t work nicely playing direct audio cd (stumbling) :(
pcd plays audio cd very well :)

asunder ripps 500 MB .wav down to (static .mp3 32Kbps) 9 MB :shock: :) 8)

gnome-mplayer and pmusic played these highly compressed mp3 files without any quality problems ! :)

asunder was able to show ALBUM TITLE , Genre (BLUES) , SONG TITLE , TIME :D
all three mediaplayer only showed 'unknown artist' 'unknown album' playing directly from CD (only time and track number were presented) :(
but the first two showed these missing ${TITLE} playing .mp3 :)

01micko

#433 Post by 01micko »

Hi jrb

Good to see you back around :wink:

sfs_linker is a cool tool, the only problems I have are with, as pemasu stated, with devx and kernel source, any way to filter them out?

Any chance of a Choicepup based on 51x??? :)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#434 Post by pemasu »

I take break now....

Code: Select all

# python Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56)
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import glade
Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> 
SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly

playdayz

#435 Post by playdayz »

Tried to set Flsynclient..... Synaptics not found!
Deleted save file, re-booted using classic configuration system. All no problem INCLUDING successful Synaptics install.
You know, we have had a report that synaptics only worked when automatically configured not when configured with CCE. As far as I am concerned it is all one system and we have two methods of configuring--if one does not work correctly then there is a chance the other will. It sounds like you are able to configure your hardware and use Lucid Puppy. Good deal.

DaveS

#436 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:
Tried to set Flsynclient..... Synaptics not found!
Deleted save file, re-booted using classic configuration system. All no problem INCLUDING successful Synaptics install.
You know, we have had a report that synaptics only worked when automatically configured not when configured with CCE. As far as I am concerned it is all one system and we have two methods of configuring--if one does not work correctly then there is a chance the other will. It sounds like you are able to configure your hardware and use Lucid Puppy. Good deal.
Agreed. And it works the best yet. I actually deleted my 'fall back' Mint today. Never use it now :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#437 Post by pemasu »

I use always CCE. Synaptics and flsynclient has worked flawlessly so far ad luci220.

shinobar

Re: synclient-wrapper

#438 Post by shinobar »

DaveS wrote:
shinobar wrote:
DaveS wrote: Tried to set Flsynclient..... Synaptics not found!
Deleted save file, re-booted using classic configuration system. All no problem INCLUDING successful Synaptics install..
The Synaptics touchpad works from the first desktop, but the flsynclient fails.
I made a wrapper script which can be a solution.
Try this.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 668#444668
OK... fresh frugal install, no save file. Booted to desktop. Installed wrapper script. Attempted flsynclient.... Synaptics found, must restart X to use it. Attempted restart X, fail. Ran Xorg wizard... fail.
Hmmm....
Reboot, use classic configuration procedure, all fine.
Sorry, it was not tested on Lupu. Try the revised if you still have an interest.

EDIT: 1 Oct 2010
synclient-wrapper-20100901.pet had a typo and loose settings after restart X.
/root/Startup/load-touchpad-settings.sh at line 2

[ -s "$HOME/.flsynclient" ] || exit
Correct:

[ -s "$HOME/.flSynclient" ] || exit
Fixed in synclient-wrapper-20101001.pet.
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#439 Post by pemasu »

Time to go to sleep. Streaming wirelessly using pulseaudio and stream2ip is possible. Not even sure how I got python working. What I am sure is...I dont really know how I did it anymore. But here it is.

Streaming wirelessly to Apple Airport Express using pulseaudio and stream2ip. Stream2ip informs that it does not find device but I can hear right now that it find it musically.

playdayz

#440 Post by playdayz »

There is a kind of interesting design approach in Lupu that is somewhat unique. It is illustrated in the first run configuration that we were just talking about. There really are two distinct methods involved. The "auto config" is courtesy of the current Xorg (which has had auto config since 7.3). The other method is the one Barry designed and refined. Both are good methods, and because we have them both available we have the chance to solve problems that neither would solve alone. That gives a robustness, when there is a secondary method available.

We have a similar situation with the mediaplayer: if gnome-mplayer is doing something wrong, then try Smplayer, and then VLC. For audio, gnome-mplayer is backed up by Pmusic, with Audacious in the PPM. And a final instance is with printing pdf's. If you choose Print in Abiword you will see "Cups-Pdf" and "pdf_writer." Each works in some circumstances and by including them both we are able to cover more circumstances that either alone. "pdf_writer" works best with Abiword and "Cups-Pdf" works best with epdfview.

Would it be better to have one perfect application for every task? Yes. I guess. The reason we can afford to do it this way is that Puppy uses lean applications--so we can back up one lean application with another, and still not gain too much weight. The goal with Lucid puppy is something like it bends but it doesn't break. Even if it takes a little fiddling people will be able to do what it is they want to do and use Lucid Puppy in a variety of ways. For instance, one of my particular needs--playing multiple sound cards--I have had to go all the way to Audacious, but it does just what I need and I am using Lucid puppy in the way I want to use it..

(Just a little rambling theory for fun)