Has anyone dual booted Puppy + Ubuntu with GRUB2?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Jim1911

#101 Post by Jim1911 »

Don,

Thank you for sharing your success story, your summary is concise, complete and provides helpful hints about setting up the "40_custom menu entries" file.

Jim

mama21mama

You can also see here

#102 Post by mama21mama »

don570

audacity install on lupu

#103 Post by don570 »

Thanks
Get more info on how to number hard disks go to
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
Here's an exerpt from article:
# Note the new partition naming convention. Devices start counting from "0" as done previously.
sda is designated as "hd0", sdb is "hd1", etc. However the first partition is now designated as sda1.
Counting partitions does not start with "0".
sda5 is the fifth partition
# If the user wishes to get visual confirmation in the terminal that the 40_custom file contents
are being added when "update-grub" is executed, the following line can be added to the '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' file:

Code: Select all

echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries." >&2

* Place this line immediately after the first line - "#!/bin/bash" - and before the "exec tail -n +3 $0" line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're interested in the latest version of Audacity,
you should read my experience with Lucid puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 220#417220
With the help of debian packages it is possible to install
quite a bit of cutting edge software on lupu.
This version of puppy has a lot of promise now.

Fishback

Grub 2 with Lubuntu & Puppy 5.01

#104 Post by Fishback »

I'm using Grub 2 to dual-boot Lubuntu and Puppy 5.01 on an old laptop. All recently installed. Grub 2 is working OK but I have one problem. After shutting down Puppy, Lubuntu insists on a disk check - no matter whether it's a soft reboot or whether the laptop is first powered off.

I didn't have this problem several months back when I was using Grub 2 to dual-boot Xubuntu and older versions of Puppy. Does anyone have a guess as to what's going on? Is this a Grub problem, or is it more likely to be Lubuntu?

tx.

p.s. - I normally boot to Puppy but do occasionaly boot to Lubuntu, which has far better wireless support. And Lubuntu is very quick - much faster than either Ubuntu or Xubuntu but of course not quite as fast as Puppy.

Varmint

kisk numbering

#105 Post by Varmint »

I have an Asus Eee 701SD w/8gb SSD, 2gb ram.
I've installed Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 and Ubuntu 10.4 on this, giving 3gb to puppy and the rest to ubuntu. Ubuntu was installed last, and I used it's default grub installer to dual-boot these two distros. Both booted properly, but I don't like the boot order or naming conventions in this file. Like the Debian on which it is based, ubuntu puts itself first regardless of what order you want, so I popped in the lucid pup installation cd and did something we are not supposed to do. I manually edited the grub.cfg file, changing both boot order and the name for my puppy partition, which I use by default on all systems here. I also changed the timeout from 6 seconds to 30, because I'm a slow old fart that wants to mash things that try to hurry me up. I didn't have any problems with this, by the way, but your mileage may vary, as they say, so don't do something hairy unless you're willing to re-install things. I fiddle with my netbook constantly and don't care if I garf something like an OS, as I'll simply re-install. Also, I never noticed the new naming conventions until someone pointed them out. How bizaarre and un-unix-like. I wonder what ever prompted them to do THAT?! Were the old ones somehow not good enough anymore? Or is this an attempt to make things "easier" for the rank novice? Are they going to change this in the future to a dos prompt or win-doze naming system to make it even easier? Hmmmm.....:-)

DaveS

Re: kisk numbering

#106 Post by DaveS »

Varmint, on my system, I loaded file manager as root, (sudo nautilus). Navigate to the grub.conf file and right click on it. Change the permissions to allow you rather than root to change it, and from then on, you can edit it directly in Ubuntu by just clicking on it and loading it into the text editor :)
Risky? Doubtful as only I use the PC.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Varmint

dual-booting

#107 Post by Varmint »

I just did some more fiddling with my Asus netbook, and used puppy to install grub. As I mentioned previously, Puppy is on the first partition, while Ubuntu is on the second partion. Here is the code from /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 5.01 (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
# linux bootable partition config ends
# linux bootable partition config begins
title Ubuntu 10.4 (on /dev/sda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
# linux bootable partition config ends

As it now stands, I'm seeing puppy boot normally, while ubuntu insists on running a disk check. While it says to "Hit C to cancel...." it continues on merrily and slowly with the disk test regardless of how many times you punch that key. Weird. Almost guarantees I won't bother with booting into ubuntu, as it takes about 15-30 minutes to run that silly test. I'll have to look at this to see what causes it, and find a workaround. I really resent any process running without my authorizations. But it DOES boot, and I'm not sure if it will do that test every time I boot into ubuntu or not. I'll update this post when I know.

Grace and peace

UPDATE: I just rebooted and find that ubuntu didn't need to run the disk check this time. Perhaps it was a one-time thing since I switched from using ubuntu's grub to using puppy's version of grub. My guess is that this changed warranted the test, and now my system boots normally. Sweet, indeed.

DaveS

#108 Post by DaveS »

Varmint......... I think Ubuntu runs diskcheck to a schedule. Default is every 30th boot as far as I can remember. Not such a bad thing really............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Varmint

RE: Puppy & Ubuntu

#109 Post by Varmint »

DaveS wrote:
"....I think Ubuntu runs diskcheck to a schedule. Default is every 30th boot as far as I can remember."

My reply:
That's a very good thing, imho, and thank you for sharing that information here. I have an older Ubuntu (9.04) on a usb stick, but I've only used it a couple times, and keep it for demos for other interested parties. I notice it seems to do the complete disk check, and not just it's own partition. Is that correct? I've been getting aquainted with the vagaries of ubuntu the past few days. The fact that it had updated wifi support led me to install lucid puppy in place of the old acer remix2 I had with it. I've tried out the software manager and found it pretty nice to use, and the programs seem to be pretty responsive and easy to update. This should make either of these two fine distros a first-in-line choice for new Linux users, as far as I'm concerned. For the more serious user, I'd still recommend the Debian on which these are based, or Slackware (for the VERY serious), but these two will introduce ANYONE, regardless of their technical prowess (or lack thereof) to linux in great style, while maintaining good reliability and rock-solid stability. Now don't I sound like a "horn-blower"?

I still plan to put a 32gb ssd in my netbook soon, and then I'll have room for Backtrack 4 & Slackware 13.1, both of which I've tried on this machine with success. If only these devices were designed to handle about 4gb ram, how sweet it would be, but they do function great even now, and without a swap partition. Now then....at least I got to drop a couple toes on two ways of using grub, so others can duplicate my efforts with a minimum of effort.

I've no reason to think that Ubuntu, being Debian-based, will have trouble setting up other distros alongside it. I've used debian, and now ubuntu, with slackware, backtrack, helix, bsd, and a couple others I can't remember, so don't feel intimidated when making whatever installation you want....someone here has the info you need, or at least can point the way for you to find it!

Thanks again for your input, DaveS. I'm off to have some fun and surf the forums for a bit....

DaveS

Re: dual-booting

#110 Post by DaveS »

Varmint wrote:ubuntu insists on running a disk check. While it says to "Hit C to cancel...." it continues on merrily and slowly with the disk test regardless of how many times you punch that key. Weird.
I did some experimenting with this and....... the command is wrong! Dont hit 'C', press the 'Esc' key to abort.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Varmint

RE: diskcheck

#111 Post by Varmint »

DaveS wrote, in part:

I did some experimenting with this and....... the command is wrong! Dont hit 'C', press the 'Esc' key to abort.

My reply:
Sounds like a "bug report" to me! You found it, so perhaps you should report it. Strange to not notice something like that in development, though. I wonder if it worked on their systems?

Thanks for a nice tip!

jockjunior

#112 Post by jockjunior »

Hi all,

this is working for me

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Puppy510"{
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /puppy510/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppy510
initrd /puppy510/initrd.gz
}
EOF

the above saved as 11_puppy
This is using xubuntu 10.4 with puppy510 directory in /puppy510

Hope that helps someone

Jock

stu90

#113 Post by stu90 »

While in Lubuntu just editing the 40_custom file and updating grub works but when in puppy i have to edit the grub.cfg as well as 40_custom when making a new frugal install.

DaveS

#114 Post by DaveS »

The changes you make to 40_custom are written to grub.conf automatically BY Ubuntu, but running Puppy, this does not happen of course, so you have to edit both. You can edit ONLY grub.conf if you use only Puppy, as the non-existent entry in 40_custom will not overwrite your edit of grub.conf.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Thauriswulfa

help needed to make puppylinux custom entry in grub2

#115 Post by Thauriswulfa »

i just installed ubuntu10.10 and its grub2 didn't detect my puppy510 as i have very little knowledge of linux and grub.
and don't have much time these days to study grub manual so please help me to
add custom menuentry to the file 40_custom

other entries in my grub.cfg file is

Code:
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos4)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3e9bc03c-8e94-4759-af71-7e6ac4973155
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-24-generic root=UUID=3e9bc03c-8e94-4759-af71-7e6ac4973155 ro vga=792 splash quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-24-generic

i tried many times editing it and using command
Code:
sudo update-grub
but no success.

my frugal install is on sda3 , ext4 files system in directory puppy510 and uuid is
ab4b85ab-02a0-46f0-b4aa-f5e3af480087
please help me in adding this custom menu entry....................[/code]

nooby

#116 Post by nooby »

Thauriswulfa what DaveS wite above your post and which I quote here below should be of help. You have to manually edit both these files.

Use puppy to find the referred files to change them
DaveS wrote:The changes you make to 40_custom are written to grub.conf automatically BY Ubuntu, but running Puppy, this does not happen of course, so you have to edit both. You can edit ONLY grub.conf if you use only Puppy, as the non-existent entry in 40_custom will not overwrite your edit of grub.conf.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#117 Post by stu90 »

Thauriswulfa.

Here is a tutorial i made today about manual frugal install when running puppy but it also deals with editing grub2 and adding puppy to boot menu if you already have a buntu installed.
http://my.opera.com/stu90/blog/2011/01/ ... al-install
Hope it helps.

cheers.

_Mark_

#118 Post by _Mark_ »

Have already asked this on the buntu forums, but seeing if anyone here as come across this problem before

I have added a manual entry for puppy to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and ran update-grub and the entry is added to /boot/grub/grub.cfg OK

But when booting the entry is not appearing
the post is here with more info
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1666170

Any help appreciated
Thanks

Varmint

Puppy & Ubuntu

#119 Post by Varmint »

Thauriswulfa wrote, in part:
i just installed ubuntu10.10 and its grub2 didn't detect my puppy510 as i have very little knowledge of linux and grub.

My reply:

Actually, if you go up to my previous posts, you'll see how I did this. Ubuntu recognized my puppy install, but I didn't care for the way in which it handles it. I booted back into my puppy live cd and used that to install GRUB2. Then, while still using the live cd I edited the menu.lst file to say what I wanted (from puppy). The difference between my install and yours is that, for reasons I can't fathom, you installed FRUGAL, whereas I always install FULL on any hard disk. I found it much easier to edit my menu.lst files from puppy than from other distros, including unix.

If you're not sure how what to put in your menu.lst file for ubuntu, simply mount the partition from puppy and take a peek. You can copy and paste from there directly into puppy's menu.lst file as I did. There is no linux or unix distro that will properly name another distro for you....you will have to edit that entry manually or live with the generic "linux on xxx" or "unknown distribution on xxx", where "xxx" equals the partition of said distro.

_Mark_

#120 Post by _Mark_ »

Well I fixed it :D

For info what I did removed my entry in 40_custom ran update-grub to remove entry from grub.cfg, added my entry back into 40_custom and grub.cfg and didn't run update-grub.

rebooted and voila the entry was there after a tweak or 2 it booted into puppy fine, just to test booted back to buntu and ran update-grub and the entry still there and booting fine

Possibly a bug in update-grub? who knows