Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Suggestions for Forum Improvement
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 25 [361 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul 2010, 17:39    Post subject:  

I can change settings, but I don't have access to the server to change code. Otherwise I would have tweaked a bunch of things by now.

Quotes don't help on our search.

IMHO, search engines should always come with a check box saying "Search for EXACTLY this string". Even google doesn't do that. They come close, but they still add some fuzz.

aarf

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul 2010, 00:25    Post subject:  

google advanced search has time settings http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=gsearch+puppy+site:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en
gsearch.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.14 KB
 Viewed   1534 Time(s)

gsearch.jpg

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:48    Post subject: improvement to "view posts since last visit"  

After log in, in the upper right side of the screen there is the selection:
view posts since last visit.
It would be nice if when you selected this search request, it gave you an option as to what part of the forum to check and not the entire forum. The way it works under search would be ideal. When you select search it gives you the option to select what section of the forum to search.
aarf

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 07:25    Post subject: Re: improvement to "view posts since last visit"  

bigpup wrote:
It would be nice if when you selected this search request, it gave you an option as to what part of the forum to check and not the entire forum. The way it works under search would be ideal. When you select search it gives you the option to select what section of the forum to search.

partial solution:
so beginners section is f=2
put
"f=2" puppy site:www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2
where "puppy" is what you are searching for
into
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=en&q=%22f%3D2%22+puppy+site%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2Fpuppy%2Findex.php%3Ff%3D2&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
then if you date define it as above you are mostly there.
users is f=3
etc.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

aarf

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug 2010, 14:47    Post subject: Re: improvement to "view posts since last visit"  

bigpup wrote:

so i been thinking more on this. if you know where you want to look why not just go there and look

_-¤-_

aarf

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 23:21    Post subject:  

here we go again
search. the major drawback with search is that when it finds something it links to the topic beginning and not to the exact post where the match was found. in long topics with many posts this isnt exact enough.
perhaps ask or search at the phpBB forum for a fix.

_-¤-_

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 19:24    Post subject:  

When in the search window, on the left column of the options there is an entry to "display results as:" with the options "posts" and "topics". It defaults to topics. If you switch it to "posts", it will show the actual post that it was found in, and you can jump directly to that position in the thread by clicking on the "post-icon" rather than the thread link.

Note that a small deficiency is that when it shows the posts where it found matches, it only shows previews, and starts from the top of the post, so you might not actually see the bit that matched in the preview.
screenshot-2.png
 Description   The search option.
 Filesize   9.19 KB
 Viewed   1367 Time(s)

screenshot-2.png

screenshot-3.png
 Description   Then use the "post-icon" instead of the thread subject.
 Filesize   17.39 KB
 Viewed   1301 Time(s)

screenshot-3.png

Aitch

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep 2010, 05:00    Post subject:  

There is a search for 'this exact wording or phrase' in google advanced

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:murga-linux.com&num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all

I just added searching for codebox strings which seems hard to find, but someone may have a better implementation

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=447139#447139

aarf, have added your tip, thanks

Aitch Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep 2010, 06:18    Post subject: Re: improvement to "view posts since last visit"  

bigpup wrote:

Thanks for all the info on how to do a search, but this is a suggestion on how to improve the forum. The specific feature in the upper right side of the screen. The selection:
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep 2010, 13:35    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
When in the search window, on the left column of the options there is an entry to "display results as:" with the options "posts" and "topics". It defaults to topics. If you switch it to "posts", it will show the actual post that it was found in, and you can jump directly to that position in the thread by clicking on the "post-icon" rather than the thread link.

Note that a small deficiency is that when it shows the posts where it found matches, it only shows previews, and starts from the top of the post, so you might not actually see the bit that matched in the preview.
thanks pizza works well . That was my main reason for using and advocating google previously now i may have to change.

_-¤-_

abushcrafter

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 06:36    Post subject:  

I would love HTML and CSS to be enabled in posts. So then I and others can do tables!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 09:49    Post subject:  

abushcrafter wrote:
I would love HTML and CSS to be enabled in posts. So then I and others can do tables!

HTML would make it a lot easier to maintain large posts like my Beginners index.

I think the forum software is deliberately limiting, to discourage people from making large posts.
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 21:27    Post subject:  

Couldn't HTML code in posts provide an avenue for spammers, hackers and exploits, though? Sad
(If a forum post's code alone could cause someone's browser to execute a malicious bit of Javascript, for example.)

abushcrafter

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep 2010, 05:06    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Couldn't HTML code in posts provide an avenue for spammers, hackers and exploits, though? Sad
(If a forum post's code alone could cause someone's browser to execute a malicious bit of Javascript, for example.)
Only if you enable the script tag.
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep 2010, 05:09    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:

I think the forum software is deliberately limiting, to discourage people from making large posts.
I thought it was a security measure though I don't see the point of it. Any way it does not stop people. You just end up with posts with lots of good info that could do with better formatting.
Page 19 of 25 [361 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: