MediaInfo - for info about video or audio files

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mysp

MediaInfo - for info about video or audio files

#1 Post by Mysp »

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Can anyone make PET or SFS of MediaInfo? (GUI version if possible).
MediaInfo supplies technical and tag information about a video or audio file.

Thank you very much in advance.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Will only work with my unicode wxwidgets package (or another compiled with the same options)
Last edited by disciple on Wed 10 Jun 2009, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I upxed it, so you can't ldd it and you may want to unupx it if you put it in an .sfs (we were discussing that elsewhere).

BTW you can actually get a lot of information about media files using ffmpeg, like Zigbert does. That might be a good idea for another tiny Puppy gui. Or was there one already?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Sorry, I missed the icon for the menu. It didn't seem to have a normal install script.
Put one of these in /usr/share/pixmaps or somewhere. Some window managers (jwm) require you to add the extension (.xpm or .png) in its file in /usr/share/applications, and run fixmenus...
Attachments
MediaInfo.xpm
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
MediaInfo.png
(48.47 KiB) Downloaded 2343 times

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

Feel free to repackage the icon into it :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mysp

MediaInfo PET: works fine, but few more related questions...

#6 Post by Mysp »

First of all, I want to thank you very much. You created the PET so fast!
Last two weeks I was away most of the time and therefore I am responding only now.

1. MediaInfo PET installations issues
-------------------------------------------------
The PET itself you created works without any problems, I already tested it on several different AVI and WMV files. I have PuppyLinux 4.1.2.
1a) But I was not able to get the icon working. It is NOT IMPORTANT, I can live without icon, but if you have some time. I was fighting with menus and related thing already before and I would like to learn these things. (These things are NOT in official manual.)

I put MediaInfo.xpm /usr/share/pixmaps as you advised, run fixmenus ...
Then I uninstalled the PET, put the image in directory before, reinstalled the PET... Because the file MediaInfo.xpm is in mixed cased I also tried to rename it to all lowercase and repeat uninstall and re-install. Then I edit ".desktop" file and change the .xpm filename there and repeated all above.
But the result is: the menu item in Multimedia section is created, but without icon. On the contrary, on taskbar there is icon (the same?) - see enclosed picture (screenshoot).

1b) I use your unicode wxwidgets package to avoid problems. However I already have wxGTK-2.8.7-i486 (I installed this when installing Tux Commander 0.6.50. The wxGTK was provided by author of Tux Commander PET. I do not know if this one is unicode.)
When installing your newer wxGTK, PETget package manager wrote warning "wxGTK is already installed)".
Should I unistalled older wxGTK PET? If yes, will Tux Commander use newer wxGTK library automatically or should I setup something?

2. Using ffmpeg for information about media files
-----------------------------------------------------------
BTW you can actually get a lot of information about media files using ffmpeg, like Zigbert does.
First, I did not understand this remark at all. (I just know that ffmpeg is used by some media players.) Then I realized you mean to type "ffmpeg" in "rxvt" terminal.
But what command line switch to use to just display file information?
All switches (ffmepg -h or http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html) seems to be relevant only to file conversion or to grabbing). I also browse through articles on www.murga-linux.com written by Zigbert and with keyword ffmpeg, but I did not found the right one.

I hope I did not "overwork" your with these questions. I can wait for answers, you do not have to be in hurry with answers.
Sorry for my English, I can read without problem, but I am not good in writing in foreign languages.

Thank you very much in advance.
Attachments
MediaInfoIcon.png
Icon is in taskbar, but not in menu.
(43.7 KiB) Downloaded 2084 times

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

add the extension (.xpm or .png) in its file in /usr/share/applications
Should I unistalled older wxGTK PET?
That is probably a good idea (to save space in your save file, if nothing else), but it sounds like it is working for you anyway.
If you uninstall that version now you will probably need to reinstall my one afterwards, as it will probably break it.
If yes, will Tux Commander use newer wxGTK library automatically or should I setup something?
No, it will probably not work with my wxwidgets.
Wxwidgets programs only work if you have a version of wxwidgets that was compiled with the same options as the wxwidgets package the program were compiled against.
I think it is possible to have more than one wxgtk installed, but I'm not sure how. Does Tux Commander work for you at the moment?

... Wait a minute - I thought I'd go and compile Tux Commander against my wxwidgets for you. But it doesn't seem to use wxwidgets. If you figure out which one of your programs does, I might be able to compile it for you :)
First, I did not understand this remark at all. (I just know that ffmpeg is used by some media players.) Then I realized you mean to type "ffmpeg" in "rxvt" terminal.
But what command line switch to use to just display file information?
Yes, sorry - I wasn't in Puppy when I said that, and I couldn't remember how he does it... the same is still true :(
I'll have a look for you when I get the chance.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mysp

MediaInfo PET: problems mostly solved

#8 Post by Mysp »

Once more I thank you very much for your immediate and patient help. I really appreciate it. I am still quite new to Puppy and Linux in general.

1. I manually add extension in "Desktop" file, rerun "fixmenus" and icon for MediaPet is now in menu, too.
By the way, is somewhere some good description of Desktop files - not generally, but how are used in Puppy? it certainly not in official manual and did not find it in Forum yet. So far, I have learned about Desktop files just by trial and error. For example "Categories" line apparently is not the same as category in Puppy Menu (at least for some programs).

2. wxGTK issues. I was convinced I installed it with Tux Commander, but I was wrong.
After some effort I found that I installed it with wxdFast (download manager) PET. I uninstalled it. But there is probably some cross references in wxGTK-2.8.7-i486.pet
and your wxGTK-2.8.9-unicode.pet (or some other program is using older version, too).
It is possible to unistall your wxGTK, but not the older one. Puppy Package manager write message box "... Processing, please wait." but does not remove it (and no further message). Again I tried several combination, removed newer one first, not removed newer one, removed some other PETS before etc. I think it is not worth to strugle with it again. I reinstalled all PETs, all programs seem to work.

If you later find information about "information switch" for ffmpeg, I will appreacite it.

Thank you very much

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

By the way, is somewhere some good description of Desktop files
I haven't seen one.
I can tell you that desktop files are used for more than just the menu in other distros, and that Puppy uses non-standard menu categories, I think partly designed to work best on very small screens.
Puppy Package manager write message box "... Processing, please wait." but does not remove it (and no further message)
Yes, I've often wondered why some packages do that. If you were really keen on cleaning up your save file you could probably remove it by deleting all the files listed in /root/.packages/wxGTK-2.8.7-i486-files (or whatever it is called). But then I think wxdFast would stop working.
If you later find information about "information switch" for ffmpeg, I will appreacite it.
I think you just run

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i some_input_file
The -i switch specifies the input file, and because you don't use the -o switch it doesn't convert anything, and complains that you haven't specified the output file.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

disciple wrote:Will only work with my unicode wxwidgets package (or another compiled with the same options)
Thanks!

MediaInfo worked fine in Lucid 5.1 w/003 update.!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Seems to work as intended in Quirky 1.2

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

What are you guys trying to say?
That my mediainfo package is working with my wx package in those puppies, or that you have found some other compatible wx packages?
Surely those puppies don't include wxwidgets...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

I meant that in Quirky 1.2 I installed both .pets from your OP and Mediainfo seems to work as advertised. :)