Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Eyes-Only

#2101 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks Stu! 8) Really appreciate the free gift my friend!

Next is to find the time between all the testing going on to install it and play around, right? LOL! Can we somehow apply to the United Nations to increase the hours of the day so that we can have more time for all this FUN?! :D

Keep up the fab work every 1!

Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

jpeps

#2102 Post by jpeps »

Curious where sysctl config setting are stored. I don't see any /etc/sysctl.conf file.

playdayz

#2103 Post by playdayz »

Thanks for re-uploading stu90--it makes them a lot easier to find now that I am getting some free time

bigpup

#2104 Post by bigpup »

Barry is doing some bug killing to some of the base programs in Puppy. They are posted in his blog. Not sure if you have seen them. Some look like they could be dealing with Intel video problems.

01micko

#2105 Post by 01micko »

stu90

Do yourself a favour and contact either smokey01 or russoodle for an ftp account. They are great Puppy supporters and their services are top notch.

Cheers mate.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2106 Post by 01micko »

Hi everybody

Xfce4

The package: http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/x ... -Lucid.pet 5MB.

Petspecs: xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid|xfce4|4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid||BuildingBlock|14824K||xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid.pet||xfce4 desktop environment|ubuntu|lucid|5|

Checksum: 5b6a125cfa9d5f95c16d5b7771814291 xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid.pet

It should work fine with any Luci-Lupu and Dpup, tho I have only tested on Luci. I just tested in 5.1 too, all ok.

It is labelled as 'beta' for good reason. That's what it is, but in saying that the actual window manager seems very stable. I have tested on 3 boxes, my main athlon X2, an older P4 and an old P3 coppermine and it runs well on all.

Issues
  • While I did my best to get mimetypes working, my ambitions sometimes exceed my capabilities. That's why we call this 'open source'. If anyone can fix mimetypes, go for it. However, rox mimetypes still are working ;)

I also did my best with menu icons, with a reasonable result. I am using mostly gray's work here but there is alot of *.desktop files, I was extremely careful not to break anything with Jwm/Icewm.

Xfce has a 'tips' gui on startup. I broke it somehow. I disabled it by renaming the exec in /usr/bin.. not the best way, but I was getting a bit sick and tired. Need help. (You'll see the remamed exec ;) )

I left 'hidden files' as default in Thunar, easy fixed, better not to show for new users

Pwidgets won't work with it.. it did in an earlier luci, now it doesn't. Haven't time to fix. However it does work in 5.1, more on this issue later with a patch.

GTK theme... I have an inbuilt 'WM-Switcher' that will switch between Jwm, Icewm and Xfce4. It works reasonably well, but upon instalation of the pet the GTK theme is instantly changed. In the pinstall.sh there is a splash warning the user of this, and urging to fix it, maybe should have a dummy theme in the pinstall. I have discussed this with Barry and in the wm-switcher I perform the gtk theme switch befere X dies.. see /usr/sbin/wmswitcher.

Also, it is required to first start Xfce4 with a full dropout to prompt and 'xwin startxfce4'.. somehow it won't work the gui way on first run.. no big deal IMO. Also mentioned in the pinstall.sh splash. Seems those splashes don't show up if you install from PPM, or that could be me.

You may not get a background on first start, restart of X should fix it, or else choose a background with the xfce tool.

Features
  • Compositing works great, even without glx/mesa/xorg_high, I tried with the stock 'nv' driver, albeit on my fast box.

It's kind of like a mini KDE. Those used to KDE who have never tried it will be fairly comfortable.

I have discarded the native Xfce 'logout' exec in favour of a simple gtkdialog script. It seems X needs to be killed before any logout type operation can be performed in Puppy, so I did that. See /usr/bin/xf-shutdown. I don't see how those hal scripts could ever work in Puppy!

Browser-default (lupu specific) is updated to filter out some 'exo' stuff, see /usr/sbin/browser-default.

I didn't have to tinker with any critical system files. That was a relief! Yay!

The default panel basically mimics the jwm/ice/puppy panel in any puppy .. down to the tray icons, which are the default.. retrovol is still a pain with that '-bg' option! Working on that.

On every restart of X the backgrounds in /usr/share/backgrounds are symlinked back to the xfce backdrop directory. Does no harm, error sent to /dev/null (if any).

Screenies

Image Pretty boring.. just like KDE in that regard :roll:

Image All the tray icons work as expected. (Note: you won't get that 'cog' icon, that's one I setup for myself :wink: )

Image Integrated Rox launch icon, purists will certainly miss Rox ;)

Image What's not to like? :D
(sorry for BIG screeny, but some things get lost in the translation ;))

Recommendations
  • Absolutely.. Wbar! Sorry CatDude, I haven't integrated your latest fix, that makes it a good package.. on to it.. ;), there will be an updated wbar package soon.
Special thanks to gray and dejan555, also thanks must go to BarryK, for listening to me about an improved /usr/sbin/delayedrun script. Also tasmod, Eyesonly, CatDude, playdayz, jim1911, James C, chrismt for testing and feedback.

Enjoy!

Cheers

01micko

(you all know me as Mick anyway! :lol:)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#2107 Post by James C »

Obligatory tweaked XFCE4 in Luci-222 screenshot. :)

Great job Mick..........haven't had any problems yet and configuration is a breeze. :)

chrismt

#2108 Post by chrismt »

Xfce is great except for the sound icon in the taskbar

I hope it will be fixed soon :D

gogota

problem with radeon 2100

#2109 Post by gogota »

Hi, somebody advice me to post my problem here :

I fix computers for a living and I have many old second hand computers. And when somebody need a cheap pc badly and in short of cash, I am the guy people looking for. I have try lupu 5.1 on many new and old super cheap pc and it works fine except one :

ecs motherboard with amd 745G chipset on board,
buit in radeon 2100 graphic

Everytime I run Xorg , the whole screen just go very dark. I can switch to vesa mode but cannot play movie very well.

Even if I kill x and exit to console, the screen is so dark that nothing can be seen.

Lupu works fine and perfect on these desktop / mini itx pc:
Intel desktop board D945GCLF
Intel desktop board D410S PTL
any board with vga integrated graphic VIA UNICHROME /Savage DDR / UNICHROME PRO
Any Intel chipset board with integrated Intel graphic

Help me solve my problem. Thanks in advance.

Paul

kevin bowers

Re: problem with radeon 2100

#2110 Post by kevin bowers »

gogota wrote:Hi, somebody advice me to post my problem here :

I fix computers for a living and I have many old second hand computers. And when somebody need a cheap pc badly and in short of cash, I am the guy people looking for. I have try lupu 5.1 on many new and old super cheap pc and it works fine except one :

Everytime I run Xorg , the whole screen just go very dark. I can switch to vesa mode but cannot play movie very well.

Even if I kill x and exit to console, the screen is so dark that nothing can be seen.

Paul
gogota,

Why not just shove a cheap display card in the box? Sounds a lot easier than debugging the Radeon driver.

stu90

#2111 Post by stu90 »

Seen this CPU frequency governor selector by HoKaze over on http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/CP ... ent=124444

Tested on Lucid 5.1 requires the Puppy CPU frequency scaling to be active (mine is on demand) the frequency option will over ride puppies so options:
powersave (locks to the lowest freq)
performance ( locks to highest freq)
ondemand (power when needed)
conservative (don't know what that one does?)
Only done minimal testing so don't know if these power options are saved when you reboot?
Launcher is in Utility menu.
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/CPU-select.pet

scsijon

#2112 Post by scsijon »

Paul
gogota, "looks" to me like your trying to run the monitor too hard , exit to prompt, xorgconfig, choose, fill in/pick type, use the test button, <ctrl><alt><backspace> to get you back to the menu, choose change, change refresh freq, drop it to something less than your default was, test again, accept a freq that works. Then use the resoultion changer to set your screen matrix to what you want if it's too high. You may have to run it a couple of times until you have something that your happy with, but then you can record the combination box/vcard/monitor and set it from there after first time.

hope this helps

regards
scsijon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2113 Post by Lobster »

This is is my current situation:
I used 222 and looked at xfce.
They both seemed to be working OK.
However the ability to watch streaming video
is important to me, so I wanted to report back
when I did some watching.

Every 20 minutes I have to restart x to watch video.
It slows down (hour glass type icon appears) and then locks up.
This does not happen in Ubuntu but happens
in every browser I use in Lucid.

Clearly I have to have a working system - even if it
is alpha, beta or RC.
I know my situation is not typical
but I can not work without a reliable browser.

Once again I have to say I can not find the cause.

For most people Lucid and Luci are working.
very well :D
So I am a little sad but pleased for all those
praising and enjoying Lucid. :)
For now I am using Puppy Wary.
. . . just to let you know . . .
still cheering you guys on . . .

Go guys :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#2114 Post by playdayz »

Is it a wireless connection - try pwireless2 in PPM

This bums me out. But that is why there are multiple Puppies.

Stripe

#2115 Post by Stripe »

Hi lobster

Just a wild guess (from a newbie), are you running a frugal or a full install? as if it is a frugal how much empty space do you have in the save file? as I am guessing it could be saving it in cache to the temp file. and a 20 minute video would be some size and it would freeze if there was no more space in the save file. I seem to remember that you are running about 2Gb's of ram, so that shouldnt be a problem. Does it happen with a full install?

Sorry for the ramblings of a newbie (but hope it helps)
Cheers
Stripe

gogota

#2116 Post by gogota »

scsijon wrote:

Paul
gogota, "looks" to me like your trying to run the monitor too hard , exit to prompt, xorgconfig, choose, fill in/pick type, use the test button, <ctrl><alt><backspace> to get you back to the menu, choose change, change refresh freq, drop it to something less than your default was, test again, accept a freq that works. Then use the resoultion changer to set your screen matrix to what you want if it's too high. You may have to run it a couple of times until you have something that your happy with, but then you can record the combination box/vcard/monitor and set it from there after first time.

hope this helps

regards
scsijon
thanks a lot . Will assemble another new box tomorrow to test it. Previous unit has been sold.

:D

playdayz

#2117 Post by playdayz »

Clearly I have to have a working system - even if it
is alpha, beta or RC.
I know my situation is not typical
but I can not work without a reliable browser.
Lobster, If 5.1.1 gives you any trouble then by all means use 5.10 with the Instant Update 003. 5.10 is a very good version. Then wait and see about the next version.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 10-003.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... pu-510.iso

edoc

#2118 Post by edoc »

I am following jemimah's recommendation and trying Fluppy but am wondering if Lucid 5.1 may also be a good candidate for my new Samsung NB30 Netbook?
Product Specification:
Storage ControllerSerial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150
Type Serial ATA
Input Device(s)Type Keyboard, touchpad
BatteryInstalled Qty 1
Technology 6-cell lithium ion
Run Time (Up To) 6.5 hour(s)
ProcessorData Bus Speed 667 MHz
Processor Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz
Card ReaderSupported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Memory Card
Type 3 in 1 card reader
NetworkingCompliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Wireless LAN Supported Yes
Networking Network adapter
MiscellaneousCompliant Standards RoHS
Features Anti-scratch
Expansion / ConnectivityInterfaces 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ¦ 1 x PoweredUSB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type A
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1 ( 0 ) x memory
Operating System / SoftwareSoftware Drivers & Utilities, Microsoft Works, Adobe Reader, Samsung Update Plus, Samsung Easy Resolution Manager, SAMSUNG Support Center, Samsung Easy Battery Manager, Samsung Easy Network Manager, Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition (60 days trial), Samsung Easy Display Manager, Samsung Easy Speed Up Manager
GeneralLocalization United States
Color Black
Weight 2.7 lbs
Height 1.1 in
Depth 7.4 in
Width 10.4 in
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna
System Type Netbook
StorageHard Drive 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
VideoGraphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA 3150 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
DisplayFeatures LED-backlit
Widescreen Display Yes
Max Resolution 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
Display Type 10.1" TFT
RAMConfiguration Features 1 x 1 GB
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Installed Size 1 GB
Notebook CameraCamera Type Integrated
PowerPower Device External
Cache MemoryInstalled Size 512 KB
Type L2 cache
Environmental StandardsENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
EPEAT Compliant EPEAT Gold
Manufacturer WarrantyService & Support Details Limited warranty - parts and labor - 1 year
Service & Support 1 year warranty
AudioAudio Input Microphone
Audio Output Sound card
Compliant Standards High Definition Audio
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#2119 Post by pemasu »

Lucid Puppy for netbooks and laptops. Rfkill and hibernate support is missing from the kernel. Also acpitool needs to be installed from ubuntu repo. After that you can use Xbindkeys-config to configure your sleep button to activate suspend to ram > acpitool -s.

There is rfkill and hibernate support in Fluppy and also a lot of ready scripts in /etc/acpi to activate or shutdown your devices or suspend to ram or hibernate.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2120 Post by Lobster »

Lobster, If 5.1.1 gives you any trouble then by all means use 5.10
I can not bear the shame of not using the latest :oops:
I believe now it is to do with Adobe Flash - the real culprit
not properly supporting 64 bit processors running 32 bit software
That is why everyone else is doing OK . . . and Lucid 5.1.1 is deservedly a success 8)
For now I am using Lucid 5.1.1 and watching vids in 20 minute blocks.

Perhaps as Dpup re-emerges, some of the Lucid expertise will be transferred and I will be enabled again :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D