XOpup Interest Group. Puppy Linux for the OLPC XO-1 laptop

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#401 Post by mavrothal »

hailpuppy wrote:Hi Mavrothal,in your next build would you try to get the web cam to work right?:) Will we be able to see skype and Openoffice running in XOpup Mavrothal in anytime sooner? I guess this might be ok because Xtraordinary OShttp://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/978 is claiming to run all these software on it.?
Did you try Skype and does not work? Both the pet and the sfs worked fine for sound for me but I could not test the video because the camera of my XO-1 is broken.
Regarding Openoffice it also runs on the XOpup, no? Just get the SFS and start it at boot.
BTW which part of office do you need that Abiword/gnumeric does not satisfy? Would be realy hard to do powerpoint presentations on the XO-1... :D

Now regarding XtraOrdinary... just try it. But no it does not run Skype video conferencing and OpenOffice I did not really ever tried on XtraOrdinary.

Edit I just tried OpenOffice and runs fine! Actually does not even use the swap!

The only "problem" I see is the PuppyPin icons, but I think that is a more general problem with the puppypin
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

PuppyPin

#402 Post by mavrothal »

Here is problem I have with PuppyPin in XOpup:
If you modify the positioning of the icons or change one (eg "console" to open sakura instead of urtvx) is OK till you change BOOTCONFIG eg add or remove an SFS at boot. Then urtvx reappears (in addition to sakura) and icon alignment goes back to the default.

I did check /root/Choices/ROX-Filer and /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net but I couldn't find anything striking. I also commented out the relevant segment /etc/rc.sysinit but no change either way

Any idea why or where should I look for tousles?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

hailpuppy

#403 Post by hailpuppy »

Hi Mavrothal,
1. I could not try Skype or Internet as yet as I didn't get a chance to go near a wifi area and i am stil looking for a Ethernet to Usb converter so that I could log into internet using XOpup. The moment I can do that I gueass I d be in heavens!!!:)

2.I ve so far been using sfs files with the help of "SFS_Linker-431bk-1.1.pet". In that method Openoffice was almost unusable.
3. I am sorry I do not yet know how to use the sfs file at boot.Now that you have suggested,i m trying to look for a way to boot sfs files at boot from forum.

4.I am yet unaware what a swap is and its uses,i guess i have to search for that also in the forum.

5.As for abiword and Gnumeric,they are just fine for me but the look for Openoffice is yet another reason to brag about the capabilities of this superb XOpup :). By the way I am trying to convince local OLPC arm in Sri Lanka to use XOpupalong with the OLPC laptops they are distributing.My convincing point is that with XOpup ,XOlaptop is going to be really usefull to children in addition to the "educative " aspects of Sugar OS.

6. I ve found some limitations in Abiword,specialy with regard to the compatibility issues with Word at times.For an example I v not so far been able to open up the contents of a textbox contained in a Windows Word document using Abiword.Im also still struggling to manage positioning of inserted pictures inside Abiword.

7.How I boot XOpup is by plugging in a USB with the XOpup in it. I dont know if your way of getting OpenOffice to run would work in thus specific way that I use to boot XOpup.

I appreciate your comments on these ,but specially how to use OpenOffice.

Cheers.!!!

01micko

#404 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote: With the new geode driver I *think* that now the original lupu video setup should work ok, but even on a fresh (test) build with the new drivers and some more cleanup, I can not find a way to bypass the xorgwizard anymore.
What file have I forgotten/changed that defaults to the wizard?
Hmmm.. it booted straight to a nice desktop for me. It didn't for you? One thing with xorgwizard, I wanted to drop the default resolution so I used that, way too much choice! (And probably most would not woek). May be able to filter that.

I am about to test Skype and OOOrg, there are sfs files of both in my repo at smokey01.com.

I can also mirror XOpup v3 too if you want.

I used Quickpet to grab Seamonkey, had a ram crash, should have realised that! Fine after I made a save. Perhaps we can induce or even include a swap file in the build? It would have advantages.

The sfs bug whereby the puppypin defaults back to original when an sfs is loaded is an age old puppy bug. It is to do with updating the layered filesystem, It also affects window managers!. What needs to happen, is that a snapshot of the current puppypin and system choices needs to be made and stored when a change happens in /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG. Thei fixing of this bug is on my 'todo' list, which is quite long! :roll:

All in all good job mavrothal, more later

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#405 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
mavrothal wrote: With the new geode driver I *think* that now the original lupu video setup should work ok, but even on a fresh (test) build with the new drivers and some more cleanup, I can not find a way to bypass the xorgwizard anymore.
What file have I forgotten/changed that defaults to the wizard?
Hmmm.. it booted straight to a nice desktop for me. It didn't for you? One thing with xorgwizard, I wanted to drop the default resolution so I used that, way too much choice! (And probably most would not woek). May be able to filter that.
It boots fine, but if say, remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the build and make a new XOpup.sfs, it will now go to xorgwizard at boot and not straight to the desktop as in original lupu-510.
Any idea why?
Would be nice to keep out the Xorgwizard altogether because I *think* is messing up screen rotation
BTW all the 4:3 resolution settings work without any problem.

Also you are welcome to mirror it or change it in anyway you think best. Just keep a change log so we know what's happening :D

About a swap file in the build is not a bad idea at all! Hopefully will not increase the size of the distribution being an empty file, is it? (I guess I'll check :D )

Edit I checked. No go. It does not compress.
You know what would be nice though, an oprtion in the first-run.sh to create a /pupswap.swp if no swap detected, backed by a little script (though I would make it invisible with the relevant change in rc.sysinit) !
It would also be useful for normal Lupu :D
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 22:36, edited 4 times in total.

hailpuppy

Yahooo!!!It Works

#406 Post by hailpuppy »

Hi Mavrothal,

Brother Im ecstatic!!! I now know what a sawp file is and with the help of the below Links,

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/index.ph ... 20Disk.txt

http://puppylinuxfaq.org/content/14/93/ ... ootup.html

http://puppylinuxfaq.org/index.php?acti ... artlang=en

I managed to create a save file and after that used OpenOffice..Boy it works!!! :)

Now My XOpup works just like a so called pro netbook!!!

I used your new geode-2.11.9.pet but didnt see that much of an improvement. BUt heck!! it still works to my satisfaction. perhaps I might have to see if im using the new firmware to speed it up?

Any ways brother,from what I see we are seemingly heading a long way.As i predicted earlier this could even mean that the halted (or slowed down) OLPC development might even start again!!!:) Gecko edubook is of course there to compete woth XOlaptop but hey at $199 it still doesnt come with the a solar charger and a built in web cam!!! Who knows with the right sfs files we might be even able to do programming in java using XOpup. I ve tried python on it and it works well so far. I want to see if Java runs on it with either eclipse or netbeans but there are only sfs3 formatted files for it. In addition I havent seen so far a raw sfs file for a Java sdk in the forum other than the netbeans or eclipse bundled ones...Let me try with what sfs4 files are available and try them on XOpup and report feed back...its already 3.15 am here but i dont have the heart to sleep with the new found exitement. :)

mavrothal

Re: Yahooo!!!It Works

#407 Post by mavrothal »

hailpuppy wrote: I used your new geode-2.11.9.pet but didnt see that much of an improvement.
What did you test for/with?
Video playback? PDF scrolling/page zoom? Long (and complex) document/web page scrolling? Games? Animations?
In "normal" use is hard to pickup (maybe opening and scrolling through big folders). I would say video is the most obvious.
its already 3.15 am here but i dont have the heart to sleep with the new found exitement. :)
:D
Good morning
:D

hailpuppy

Re: Yahooo!!!It Works

#408 Post by hailpuppy »

What did you test for/with?
Video playback? PDF scrolling/page zoom? Long (and complex) document/web page scrolling? Games? Animations?
In "normal" use is hard to pickup (maybe opening and scrolling through big folders). I would say video is the most obvious.
What I did was this I copied the pet file to the usb stick which i booted XOpup from and clicked on it,after I got the installation complete message I restarted Xserver.Os this the correct way to do?

By the way Mavrothal, is there a way to test the Web cam without logging into skype? I m yet to connect Xolap to internet and hence cant log in to skype to test the web cam

hailpuppy

#409 Post by hailpuppy »

Hi Mavrothal,

I just managed to connect to a wireless network and Skype works just fine,Including web cam. Of course the web cam is a bit slow to respond to the movements but it works ok.I havent tried any conference calls yet though.

But there is a problem with the browser it didnt connect to the internet, I tried both netsurf and your specially configured chromium but neither of them connected me to the internet. Why could this be?

One more thing I managed to get Openoffice to work on boot as I said earlier. But this seem to increase the lupusave file size every time I shut the XOpup down.Could this be a problem ?Because this way it continue to show decreasing available memory in the memory tray?

Majorly what could be the problem with the browser?

mavrothal

#410 Post by mavrothal »

hailpuppy wrote: I just managed to connect to a wireless network and Skype works just fine,Including web cam. Of course the web cam is a bit slow to respond to the movements but it works ok.I havent tried any conference calls yet though.
Good to know :D
Do try a video conference with the cam. Make sure that nothing else is running at the same time. Is likely to crash but you never know :wink:
But there is a problem with the browser it didnt connect to the internet, I tried both netsurf and your specially configured chromium but neither of them connected me to the internet. Why could this be?
which connection tool did you use?
With network wizard make sure you save the profile before you use it.
One more thing I managed to get Openoffice to work on boot as I said earlier. But this seem to increase the lupusave file size every time I shut the XOpup down.Could this be a problem ?Because this way it continue to show decreasing available memory in the memory tray?
The memory tray shows how much space is left in your lupusave file. It will increase as you keep adding and saving things.
Keep in mind that browsers like chrome and firefox take A LOT of space and it keeps increasing with use (if not properly configured).

hailpuppy

#411 Post by hailpuppy »

Well i did save the profile before launching chromium, but still seemingly there is a problem But stil skype works well.,,ahem ,what do you mean by connection tool?

mavrothal

#412 Post by mavrothal »

hailpuppy wrote:Well i did save the profile before launching chromium, but still seemingly there is a problem But stil skype works well.,,ahem ,what do you mean by connection tool?
In this case the best is to start fresh... :D
Just clear everything form your card (including invisible files) and install XOpup-v4 that should be available in few hours from the host site :D
It has the new video drivers a better terminal and a tool to automake swap for you!
But now, I have to go to sleep... :wink:

hailpuppy

#413 Post by hailpuppy »

Ah version 4!!! thats superb!!! yeah then i l await till you upload the new version of XOpup...Bdw Good Night!

Just remembered..if possible Mavrothal why cant we have Google Chrome already installed in the XOpup version 4.

Most of the OLPC laptops are in the hands of childern who are belived to be comfortable with sugar os!!!And we all know how simple Sugar OS is at the same. if we are to popularise XOpup among existing users of XO laptop we will have to minimise the complexities of setting it up. just imagine if we could win the competition using XOpup with other bloated OS's trying to fit into XOlaptop !!! (Well I honestly believe that we have already won!!!)

I just love to see a day where XOpup will be the preferred choice for XOlaptop!!!:)
Last edited by hailpuppy on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#414 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:
hailpuppy wrote:Well i did save the profile before launching chromium, but still seemingly there is a problem But stil skype works well.,,ahem ,what do you mean by connection tool?
In this case the best is to start fresh... :D
Just clear everything form your card (including invisible files) and install XOpup-v4 that should be available in few hours from the host site :D
It has the new video drivers a better terminal and a tool to automake swap for you!
But now, I have to go to sleep... :wink:
Sounds cool mavrothal!

I have just been experimenting myself with swap and came up with a tool .. but yours may be better :wink:

Also came up with a small daemon that alerts the user of low ram .. see here

Cheers

hailpuppy

#415 Post by hailpuppy »

Hi 01micko ,

can you think of a less complex solusion for the ever increasing size of the lupusave file.I mean as a whole this save function seems a bit messy with automatic saves specially.XOpup users will be mostly using XOpup installed in a usb pendrive as oits the easiest to access and use.For USB users this save process is a resala headach as it increases the size of save file even without the intervention of the user.

mavrothal

XOpup-v4

#416 Post by mavrothal »

XOpup-v4 is here!
- This build includes the new geode2.11.9 driver with much improved video performance.
- Has the Sakura terminal as default for much more comfortable terminal work.
- Includes a script that will auto-generate a swap file in your boot device, if no swap partition or file is present.  The option to make the swap file appears in the welcome screen, but can be also invoked at any point by "mkswap-file.sh
Swap files are not good as swap partitions, specially when they are in the same USB/SDcard boot device but much better than nothing
Check the Build Announcement, Changelog and device formatting instructions.

Download it from our friendly host site.

I think that what XOpup is missing for perfection :P is a tray battery monitor. Flit that supports XO battery, could serve as a good start.
The Xserver reconfiguration also needs to properly support screen rotation. But This is BK's territory I guess
They are both core Puppy elements, and hopefully someone will look at them.
Last edited by mavrothal on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 08:54, edited 3 times in total.

hailpuppy

#417 Post by hailpuppy »

Downloading.....impatient....

01micko

#418 Post by 01micko »

hailpuppy wrote:Hi 01micko ,

can you think of a less complex solusion for the ever increasing size of the lupusave file.I mean as a whole this save function seems a bit messy with automatic saves specially.XOpup users will be mostly using XOpup installed in a usb pendrive as oits the easiest to access and use.For USB users this save process is a resala headach as it increases the size of save file even without the intervention of the user.
Well no, but we can certainly slash the tarball, get it well under 100M I think, that will reduce ram footprint by at least 20MB, also some cut down browser would be nice, maybe a firefox compile,, get it below 10M compressed.

Ok having fun... :D (have just grabbed v4, more later :wink: )

Cheers
Attachments
xo.jpg
(32.61 KiB) Downloaded 1617 times
xo-pup.jpg
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 899 times

mavrothal

#419 Post by mavrothal »

Mick
I love the desktop :D :D :D
Can we also have it in blue tones, I'm kind of biased towards blue desktops the last 20 years :wink:

01micko

#420 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:Mick
I love the desktop :D :D :D
Can we also have it in blue tones, I'm kind of biased towards blue desktops the last 20 years :wink:
yeah.. why not? :lol:

(HINT: to change just open in mtpaint and select effects> transform color, adjust the hue, get out and save :wink: )

Also, I'm sure we can ditch Flashplayer 10 since it has no chance to work! technosaurus has a wrapper for Flashplayer 7 that actually does work.. it fools sites into thinking you have flash10, it's a kind of masqerade :lol: , it's in the cutting edge forum.
Attachments
xo-pup-blue.jpg
(29.79 KiB) Downloaded 772 times