SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet

Miscellaneous tools
OldYogi

#61 Post by OldYogi »

Thanks,

I'll try it when I get home this evening and report back.

home now, 10:30, and I am writing this from inside Opera 10.10. Everything works exactly as you said, and as it should Thank you.
Running Opera from rxvt, I get the message that libjvm.so and libawt.so from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded. Opera works fine, so I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the help

technosaurus

#62 Post by technosaurus »

The one remaining irritant is the linking of symlinks when the file that it links to is not on the sfs.

(the .so files in the DEVx.sfs for example, where the files are expected to be on the existing file system instead)

solution would be to check if each file is a symlink and if so, just copy it
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#63 Post by technosaurus »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ymlinker.c
hmmm.... I may compile this tonight just for grins since tcz=sfs(4)[/img]
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Dingo

#64 Post by Dingo »

Dear Technosaurus

some time ago I announced to be happy since I found sfs-linker makes possible mount ands use a devx sfs from LIVE CD

Now I investigated better and more in deep

see image attached, it represents /usr/lib/ after devx mount (with sfslinker latest version)

several symlinks seem broken, the strange is that are pointing to files supposed in devx. Maybe this is a union/aufs limit? devx can't be used fully without frugal install at least and a reboot?

replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

technosaurus

#65 Post by technosaurus »

the links are pointing to the symlink in the sfs which is in turn pointing to a library that doesn't exist in the sfs (it is actually in the main sfs)
- this means that to function properly symlinks need to be copied NOT symlinked

something like this: (oversimplified for clarity and laziness)

Code: Select all

if [ -h $FILE ]
then
 cp $FILE $DEST
else
 ln -s -f $FILE $DEST
fi

jrb

#66 Post by jrb »

Hi Dingo,
The broken symlinks are pointing to other symlinks in the /mnt/devx_431.sfs/usr/lib/. That is, they are not pointing at real files but only at other symlinks to real files which does not work.

This is what technosaurus meant when he said:
check if each file is a symlink and if so, just copy it
Its on my list of things to look into when I get some time, but for right now I just load devx files with BootManager. :oops:

Hope that explanation is clear, J

Dingo

#67 Post by Dingo »

Thanks jrb, would be very useful to compile everything from LIVE CD, this is probably, the reason I can't compile some apps from LIVE CD. I'll patiently wait
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

technosaurus

#68 Post by technosaurus »

I have enough ram that I can just cd into the mounted sfs and
cp -arf * /

not optimal but it works in a pinch

tlchost

Problems with Quirky 1.02

#69 Post by tlchost »

Attempted to add the linker to quirky 1.02

Package manager says it was installed, but the .sh file was not installed in /usr/local/bin The folder was created in root

Copied the script from 4.3.1, set permissions, and still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thom

jrb

Version 1.5

#70 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5.pet on page 1 of this thread.

Have cleaned up a few things and also worked out a way to use SFS_Linker with Live CD/DVD's.

Hope it works well for you, J

tlchost

No go with Quirky 1.2

#71 Post by tlchost »

Doesn't work with quirky1.2 on a bootable USB drive.

jrb

Re: No go with Quirky 1.2

#72 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Doesn't work with quirky1.2 on a bootable USB drive.
Hi Thom,
I just loaded quirky1.2 onto a bootable flash, installed SFS_TCZ_Linker-1.5 and loaded an SFS, ch4-aaphoto_resize.sfs, and used it to resize a photo. No problem.

I rebooted, created a save file, and then copied 3 SFS's, ch4-aaphoto_resize.sfs, ch4-Dillo2.sfs, and ch4-gimp-2.6.8-q1.sfs, to /mnt/home on the flashdrive. When I rebooted again. All 3 showed up in /root/my_links/sfs_mnt_home. I have installed them with Linker and used them. Had to start gimp from the console, think there's a problem with the desktop file.

I placed a link to Dillo in /root/my_links/sfs_boot_links and when I rebooted it was installed.

You don't mention what kind of problem you had. Perhaps you tried using one of the SFS's from Puppy4 that isn't compatible with Quirky? Some of them work and some of them don't.

Give me more details on what you did and perhaps I can figure out the problem.

Cheers, J

tlchost

Odd

#73 Post by tlchost »

I couldn;t even get it installed.....system told me it was....but did not create the folder and I got a not found error.

Maybe the download was bad???

jrb

Re: Odd

#74 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:I couldn;t even get it installed.....system told me it was....but did not create the folder and I got a not found error.

Maybe the download was bad???
I just downloaded the file and reinstalled, worked fine. You might try downloading again. Hope it works.

its-me-again

#75 Post by its-me-again »

jrb wrote:I have included two versions. One with replacement /usr/local/bin/defaultprograms so your loaded programs will become the defaults and one without.
so what version makes the sfs files default then

its-me-again

interesting

#76 Post by its-me-again »

I use lighthouse marriner d version would this app work on that it is a murge of 431, Woof and Spup. i believe that s it relies heavly on sfs files if not included it should be

jrb

#77 Post by jrb »

its-me-again wrote:
jrb wrote:I have included two versions. One with replacement /usr/local/bin/defaultprograms so your loaded programs will become the defaults and one without.
so what version makes the sfs files default then
That's a feature that I dropped some time ago. (Can't even find where I said it now!) I put "if" statements in the /usr/local/bin/default* files so that, for example, with no browser SFS loaded it would default to Seamonkey. If Opera SFS was loaded it would default to Opera. This required a special symlink built into the SFS as well.

There got to be so many puppy versions and custom puppies with specially modified default* files that this conflicted with so I let it go. Likewise, there are so many SFS files out there now, without the special symlinks that it didn't seem worthwhile anymore.

I can tell you how to modify the default* files and SFS's if you'd like to set them up yourself.

That's where it sits right now, one size fits all.

Cheers, J

tlchost

Works Now

#78 Post by tlchost »

I suspected a bad download, or something amiss with my USB install....so,
I replicated what you did....started from square1.

Works like a charm!

What a great Utility.....instead of running one of the PuppyBloat puplets, I can have what I need and want.....and my save file in the USB drive doesn't get taxed as it would with the conventional .pet additions.

With Firefox....If I load in your firefox sfs file....can I run the firefox update? If so, will the updates disappear when I unload the sfs file?

Thanks a lot!

Thom

jrb

#79 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:It is fairly easy to build your own SFS's from .pets however. I am attaching two .pets which you can use.

Gposil's pet2xarc will extract .pets to a folder with the same name.
Dir2sfs_nover will convert that folder into an SFS.
The versions I have attached both have right click options. Right click on the .pet and extract. Right click on the folder and convert to SFS.
Thom, I've never used Firefox update but I suspect it will just load up your pupsave with the new version, And you'll still have to load the SFS to get your menus etc.

Try building your own SFS from the latest .pet. Its quite easy. I loaded pet2xarc and dir2sfs_nover on page 1 of this thread.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck, J

gcmartin

I am a NOOB to this

#80 Post by gcmartin »

@jrb, seems that this is much needed tools.

I PM'ed you with more details to my question:

Is there some small wirte-up of what and how to use your PETs ?

Please see my PM to you.

Thanks in advance