Wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

#21 Post by rjbrewer »

Inspiron 700m, intel855gm graphics.

With 4.3.1, eliminating the "intel_drv.so" solves previous video
color problems I had using Xorg.

It also solves the numerous Xorg problems I had in Fluppy and Luci.

Will try with Wary when I figure out this mix n' match stuff.

IIRC a Wary with the newest kernel worked good on my old
equipment.

Anything that is "back compatible" with 4.xx pets (like Fluppy is)
appeals to me.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

shinobar

Re: SFS version

#22 Post by shinobar »

BarryK wrote:[My code is correct. Squashfs 4.0 was merged in the 2.6.29 kernel. However I backported 4.0 to the 2.6.27.47 kernel, and I intend to do so for any 2.6.27.x upgrades -- I think Iguleder has already done this. All other kernels prior to 2.6.29 have Squashfs 3.x.
Thanks Barry for the detail explanation. I understand my worry is no need for the warry :)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

the console dialog problem

#23 Post by shinobar »

Does anyone have the experience? with some NVIDIA graphics and one of those european keyboard layout:
azerty, de, be*, br*, dk, es, fi, fr, it, no, se, sv, pt, cz, hu, pl, ro, sk*, croat, slovene.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 901#447901

piratesmack

#24 Post by piratesmack »

Using with kernel 2.6.34.1 on my dell mini 10v netbook.

So far I've had X crash twice with the Intel driver, it happened after about an hour of use both times. I'm pretty sure I ran Puppy 4.3.1 on this same netbook with no problems.

I'll try switching to the i810 driver if it happens again.

Code: Select all

# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#25 Post by Lobster »

Choose your own kernel?
Sounds good to me

I started downloading the last of the available kernels
but thought I would be happier for someone else to compile all four and provide ready made ISO [Have your quiche and eat it] :oops:
Anyone up for that? :roll:

By the time some sort of suggested simpler menu system
is in place I would be happy to use Wary . . .

or even . . .

Potentially we could even offer a 64 bit enabled kernel and Fatdog compiled Wary programs?

Wary is also ideal as a Puppy 6 (p6) base
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy6

Puppy Linux
Penguins that fly
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

shinobar

QuickSet Wary

#26 Post by shinobar »

Lobster wrote:but thought I would be happier for someone else to compile all four and provide ready made ISO [Have your quiche and eat it] :oops:
Anyone up for that? :roll:

By the time some sort of suggested simpler menu system
is in place I would be happy to use Wary . . .
Do you mean something like this?
wary-070-qs-k2.6.34.1.iso
fe21aece726384f992d96dc83bbc3c5d wary-070-qs-k2.6.34.1.iso

See the README.htm on the CD.

P.S.
I would like to go directly to the desktop using vesa, but i fond my NVIDIA graphic card, GeForce 8800GT has a problem, unstable and freeze, with the vesa on wary-0.7.
It was no problem with the vesa in Puppy-4.3.1, or [url=thttp://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/pup4/QuickSet/]the Puppy-431JPqs3[/url].
Last edited by shinobar on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

Do you mean something like this?
Exactly so
Many thanks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chrismt

#28 Post by chrismt »

I think I did it

I am typing this from Wary 0.7 with the latest Kernal

But how do you verify if I burned the right stuff?

And

I couldn't use Gparted Partition manager to format a drive to ext4

It gave me some error

GParted 0.6.0

Libparted 2.2
Create Primary Partition #1 (unformatted, 16.78 GiB) on /dev/sda 00:00:01 ( ERROR )

create empty partition 00:00:01 ( ERROR )
libparted messages ( INFO )

WARNING: the kernel failed to re-read the partition table on /dev/sda (Device or resource busy). As a result, it may not reflect all of your changes until after reboot.

rjbrewer

#29 Post by rjbrewer »

Tried shinobar iso.

Both xorg and xvesa will boot from live cd with intel855gm graphics.
Restart x will cause a black screen freeze with xorg unless intel_drv.so
is removed.

Mplayer won't play any dvd menu selections.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ecube

Boot problem

#30 Post by ecube »

Compaq Mini CQ10-101SO, Atom N270 1.6 GHz

On my notebook computer, wary-070 (2.6.34.1) often hangs at the MODALIAS loop of initrd.gz/init during boot.

qrky-120 and lupu-510 show the same behaviour but fluppy-003 doesn't.

I made a clumsy workaround consisting of adding a delay to the loop.

Code: Select all

MODALIASES="`cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/modalias`" .
for ONEMODALIAS in $MODALIASES
do                            
  sleep 1
  modprobe -v $ONEMODALIAS #-v means verbose.
   [ $? -eq 0 ] && echo -n "." > /dev/console
  done 

shinobar

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT and vesa on wary

#31 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:P.S.
I would like to go directly to the desktop using vesa, but i fond my NVIDIA graphic card, GeForce 8800GT has a problem, unstable and freeze, with the vesa on wary-0.7.
It was no problem with the vesa in Puppy-4.3.1, or [url=thttp://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/pup4/QuickSet/]the Puppy-431JPqs3[/url].
Was not exact. The vesa in Puppy-4.3.1 do not freeze but do not work correctly with my GeForce 8800GT. It works at the first run, but once Xorg run and switched to Xvesa, it shows wrong size and wrong positioned desktop.
The difference in wary, the Xvasa freezes from the first run whereas in Puppy-431 it works at the first run.

I tried on Wary-070, replace /usr/X11R7/bin/Xvesa with /usr/bin/Xvesa in Puppy-431. No difference with the behavior, unstable and freeze.

Guess some NVIDIA specific.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

Rerwin has sent me a pm that implementation of the -7.5 pet that he had earlier pm'ed me was a step to far. It may break some modem connections.

Rerwin has advised me what needs to be rolled back and I have created a pet. I'm not sure, you might have to reboot after installing it. Attached.
Attachments
modem_fix_wary070-1.pet
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Hesse James

#33 Post by Hesse James »

Hi
By the way...
To make life easier I used the following measure for a frugal installation on my WindowsXP machine without the necessity to build the ISO (Windows-users friendly). I used the NTloader in combination with grub4dos to boot Wary0.7

I downloaded the Wary's SFS-files, the vmlinuz and the initrd.gz files and put them into a new folder (here "boot"). This new folder has to be in the root directory of the first Harddisk, first Partition (C: of WindowsXP).

Then I added the following command as a separate line at the end of my boot.ini file (sometimes hidden, read-only) which can be found in the root directory of drive C:

C:\GRLDR="Wary 0.7"

I put the file GRLDR from the grub4dos.zip (version 0.4.4) in the root directory of the first harddisk, first partiton and copied the attached unzipped menu.lst into the root directory too.

Reboot should give you the opportunity to select between Windows OS or Wary 0.7. This is for WindowsXP only. The NTLDR of Vista and Win7 behave differently.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images/icons/icon4.gif
! But be careful !: Changing the settings of the NT Loader is mainly for experienced Windows users only and in case of a mistake this might make your system inoperable ! This description is without warranties !
Attachments
menu.lst.zip
menu.lst File to be placed in the root directory of the first harddisk, first partition
(433 Bytes) Downloaded 777 times

neurino

#34 Post by neurino »

Sorry if I bother... no advice on this topic?

Any tip is welcome, thank you.

Billtoo

Wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

#35 Post by Billtoo »

I used the 2.6.30.5 dvd that I made earlier and used an external dvd
drive to boot it with pfix=ram on my Acer Revo Nettop Computer.
I chose probe but that didn't work so rebooted and chose vesa at
800x600 resolution.
The wireless keyboard and mouse were detected and it also was
connected the internet on eth0.
I used the universal installer to install 070 to an 8 gb usb flash
drive.
I installed the nvidia pet that I used on my desktop install and
exited to the prompt and ran xorgwizard.
# glxgears
9491 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1897.671 FPS
9554 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1910.656 FPS
10160 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2031.935 FPS
10209 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2041.795 FPS
10150 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2029.949 FPS
#
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 1813MB (102MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.07
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 05 Sep 2010 09:29:14 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ION/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter PC-Speaker - pcsp
Input Devices
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.30.5 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP Sat Sep 4 11:55:07 GMT-8 2010
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.3.4 (GCC)
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.07
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer ION/PCI/SSE2
Version 3.2.0 NVIDIA 190.53
Direct Rendering Yes

The install of 070 with this kernel is working very well on Core 2 Quad desktop and I'll try it out on this nettop now.

edit: It's working great, I compiled a bunch of apps,downloaded newest opera browser,switched to icewm, added nexuiz,openarena,and sauerbraten games.

peebee

Feedback report - modem problem on Wary 070

#36 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:Rerwin has sent me a pm that implementation of the -7.5 pet that he had earlier pm'ed me was a step to far. It may break some modem connections.

Rerwin has advised me what needs to be rolled back and I have created a pet. I'm not sure, you might have to reboot after installing it. Attached.
I reported to Barry on his developers blog that the Agere HDA modem in my HP550 laptop had burst into life for the first time using any Puppies with Wary 060 :D but had relapsed into sulking again in Wary 070 :cry: .

I have applied the .pet that Barry has so kindly produced - but am sorry to report that it hasn't helped with my problem :cry: .

If anybody needs me to send diagnostics like dmesg outputs then I'm happy to do that - maybe by PM?

Thanks
Peter

tronkel

Wary mix'n match issues

#37 Post by tronkel »

I've had a go with two of the kernels in Wary 5 - 2.6.34 and 2.6.30

There are video issues with both kernels that I don't recall were present in Puppy 4.3.1.

In 4.3.1 the Xorg wizard displayed the various resolution options and correctly set up xorg.conf to work with both the ATI Radeon 3450 video card and the HP 1907 LCD monitor.

With both of the these Wary kernels however, it is necessary to select the non-optimal screen resolution suggested by the wizard and then to manually edit xorg.conf to use the "radeonhd" driver instead of the "radeon" driver along with the optimal resolution of 1400x900. Video then works OK in either kernel using the optimal resolution. The problem seems therefore to point to the regressed XORG version.

On quitting the live CD first run at the point where the system offers to create a pup-save, the screen is garbled and un-readable. I know how this routine works by heart - having used it countless times before so I managed to create a pup-save file "blind" nevertheless.

The Ralink RT73USB WLAN chipset is detected by both kernels and displays the WLAN access point, but only the
kernel version 2.6.30 will allow WPA access and configure an IP address. The normal network connection wizard doesn't have much success - whereas Barry's simple connection wizard does connect.

I really like the ability to be able to choose kernels though.
It's not really a job for a newbie to have to correctly download and make an ISO out of these files, but having said that, if you are setting up up Puppy for someone on unfamiliar hardware, this system at least makes it easily possible to have a go with different kernels - thus allowing in many cases otherwise problematical hardware to get configured and made usable.

Yet more progress achieved!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

elraven

wary 0.7 mix-n-match feedback

#38 Post by elraven »

hello Barry and everyone: To celibrate finally getting back on line , i decided to try wary 070 mix-n-match. I tried first the k2.6.30.5 updated and then k2.6.34.1. I'm glad i decided to try making my own iso. It's been a real eye 0pener , and it's so cool woo hoo! Ahem anyway.. Wary 070 with k2.6.30.5 updated loads and exists smoothly. It finds drivers for my network, graphics card and so forth. Wary 070 with k2.6.34.1 loads and goes to desktop, runs smooth and easy, but....
It's not finding my network or graphics card , or I should say . It has no drivers for them. I running an intel 2.66 with one gig of ram. Admittedly the ethernet card and graphics cards are alittle old. But all in all , I have to say this about the whole deal. I'm so sold on this mix-n-match concept ! Wary070 with k2.6.30.5 has become my favorite. I'd just like to say thank you Barry and all involved. As for those who are curious and are reading these threads , all i have to say is.... Come on you know you want to try it , take the plunge ; you'll be happy you did !
scinerely
elraven :D

rcrsn51

Re: Wary mix'n match issues

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

tronkel wrote:In 4.3.1 the Xorg wizard displayed the various resolution options and correctly set up xorg.conf to work with both the ATI Radeon 3450 video card and the HP 1907 LCD monitor.

With both of the these Wary kernels however, it is necessary to select the non-optimal screen resolution suggested by the wizard and then to manually edit xorg.conf to use the "radeonhd" driver instead of the "radeon" driver along with the optimal resolution of 1400x900. Video then works OK in either kernel using the optimal resolution. The problem seems therefore to point to the regressed XORG version.
I have the same issue with my Radeon card. My personal choice for a retro-Puppy would be an updated 4.3.1.

tronkel

Select-a-Pup script?

#40 Post by tronkel »

Come to think of it, it would be handy for newbies to have access to a nice little script with a GUI front-end that would automatically download the necessary files for a particular Wary and its kernel, build and then burn the ISO to CD. Call it Select-a-Pup?

I can foresee that future mainstream Puppy versions will all have the ability to offer the user various kernel choices as routine, so a script such has this might be a long-term investment.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer