3Com OfficeConnect router & 3com usb wifi dongle (sucess

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
BionicCommando

3Com OfficeConnect router & 3com usb wifi dongle (sucess

#1 Post by BionicCommando »

:D :D Yay! :D :D
At last! After weeks of pulling out my hair, and copious amounts of hunting around on forums and other pockets of the interweb - I have success!

I would like to confirm that my pc which runs Puppy 1.08 has successfully connected via my 3Com 3CRUSB10075 wireless adaptor to my 3Com OfficeConnect 3CRWCR100A-72 wireless adsl router and is happily reading web content.

I used the zd1211 chipset driver (the current one, ver. r67, presently provided by Puppy Linux Forum Member 'Tempestous')
I did fiddle around with the WAG wireless Access Gadget, which provided some useful information, but was not much help at getting the USB adaptor talking -despite the fact that the zd1211 module was fine.

So, what I did discover was that at present the zd1211 module was not willing to provide an IP address for my pc automatically via DHCP, so by following Tempestous' example in the readme with the zd1211 module, i created a static IP address which WAS within the DHCP range specified in my router's settings

having got success i added these commands to etc/rc.d/rclocal so that the usb dongle now works straight from boot

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid MyRouterSSID mode Managed
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.8
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wlan0

(don't forget the 'wlan0' at the end of the above line)

One curious thing I must note is that I changed my router's wireless channel from 13 to 9 - for no real reason, I might add. I then hit the 'scan' button in the WAG program and all of of sudden the 'Link' light stayed on ( it had been blinking on and off, up to this point) and then lo and behold the 'ACT' light started flickering into life!

Woohoo!

With this USB device working properly now, there is now one more reason never to go back to Windows XP!