Making a back-up multisession CDRW

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Kenneth Gundry

Making a back-up multisession CDRW

#1 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

I recently started using Puppy version 1.08 with a multisession CDRW (I don't have a DVD writer) and it seems to work fine. I don't think precisely the following problems have been addressed in this forum.

a) I cannot make an exact copy of the CDRW, either on the Puppy machine or on a Windows 2000 machine, and irrespective of what program I use. About 20% or 30% into reading the existing disk the system hangs. The disk seems to read perfectly well in booting the computer, and close down seems normal; I am asked whether I want to save, and if I say yes, a session file is written to the CDRW and is recognized and used next time I boot. (I also tried simply copying the contents to a hard disk, and then preparing a new data CD with those files, but that didn't work). This applies both to my original CDRW and to the second one prepared automatically when the first was full.

b) The FAQ on the PuppyOS site say that you can prepare a new or replica active multisession CD merely by booting with the existing one but before closing down, inserting a blank CDRW in place of the existing one. When I do that, the computer goes through the motions, asks whether I want to save, announces that it has saved (but far too soon, with no evidence of actual action at the drive), and shuts off leaving the new disk completely blank. However, when I filled my first functioning CDRW, I was prompted to insert a fresh blank, and that was indeed recorded correctly (but as I said above, neither the original nor that second one can be copied).

Thus due to a combination of a) and b), I cannot make a back-up disk. What am I missing?

Kenneth Gundry

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What copy program and settings are you using in Windows? I haven't tried copying a Puppy CD but I have copied other CDs with Record Now in Windows and it asks if I want to make an "exact copy." Is that something like what you've tried? I can't imagine what other options it might offer if I said no. :)

Ted Dog

weird, that should not happen - but here is another way

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

I found I can backup a RW multisession DVD using dd command. onto a DVD-R.

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=backup.iso
burn as normal iso.

Kenneth Gundry

#4 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Good question! Before I answered, I thought I would try one more time.

In Puppy 1.08, I had tried Graveman (I can't make Xcdroast work at all), knowing that it had worked on other CDs. In Puppy 1.04 I had tried another program, I forget what. In Windows (different computer) I had tried Easy CD Creator (Adaptec). All had explicit options to make exact copies, with bars showing how far they have got, and all stuck at 20 or 30%.

However, I found I had Nero Express on my Windows computer, although I cannot remember ever having used it, so I tried it. At first I told it to do a trial before burning, and it announced it had successfully made an image, but the program aborted when I tried to burn that image to a blank CDRW. Then as a last resort I told it to copy directly without simulation, and to my astonishment, it succeeded, I have booted the Puppy computer with it, and all the settings etc. seem to be there. Very strange!

I still would like to know whether the FAQ is right or wrong about being able to produce a fresh live CDRW merely by booting with the old one and then inserting a blank disk while closing the machine down. That would be the best way, because it would produce the new one with more space.

Kenneth Gundry