Gateway W730 missing audio

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
thatsmyboy

Gateway W730 missing audio

#1 Post by thatsmyboy »

I'm trying to get sound working on my Gateway computer. I currently have no audio whatsoever. Using LiveCD Puppy 4.31 (Kernel 2.6.30.5)
Following the directions here ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 ) I find :
# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
but

Code: Select all

lspci -v 
doesn't come up with drivers for my soundcard. I then tracked over here ( http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... ule-atiixp ) and verified I do have the soundcore module, added the appropriate lines to /etc/​modules.conf and created the .asoundrc file in the home directory ( /root/.asoundrc ). I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Roy

#2 Post by Roy »

An internet search leads me to believe you have an ixp sb-400 ac'97 audio controller. I still want to search for your BIOS manufacturer....

Give me a couple of days, okay?

-Roy

Roy

#3 Post by Roy »

thatsmyboy,

Try some things without your save file and without touching any wizards:

I *think* that AC'97 sound should work straight from the CD without any extra drivers or internal script modifications. Could you boot your LiveCD with the parameter, "puppy pfix=ram", (without the "") do this in terminal and post the result?

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep snd*
Without even selecting any sound wizards (running from LiveCD with puppy pfix=ram boot parameter), do you have sound from your headphone jack?

Right click on your Trash icon, and look at the pop-up window. Do you see 'Empty the Trash'? Move your mouse pointer up to that and left click on it. A new Confirm Delete pop-up window appears in the middle of your screen with the option to Delete or Cancel. Left click on Delete. If sound is working, we will hear a dog's bark. Did you hear any sound?

Click on your Menu (lower left corner) and look at the mixer(s). What are the volume levels set at?

-Roy