New ARMaments

News, happenings
vtpup

#21 Post by vtpup »

Got my Eken M001 7" tablet in the mail $99, delivered. Checking it out now.

I need to add a usb keyboard and mouse and root the device if I want to add Debian, since it doesn't initially support a touch screen. Sort of a peripheral bootstrap process.

The USB connection is via a standard iPhone/Ipod to USB cable. Unfortunately the USB termination is a slave type (intended for data upload, not peripherals), and the cable needs to be modified (pin connections altered, and a female USB connector added) to connect to a hub and peripheral devices.

Not a big deal, will probably get a spare Iphone cable at walmart today, and make up a special usb cable. Then hack root.

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

lucky getting it to work then using Debian.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

vtpup

#23 Post by vtpup »

ok, I. made the cable up and have a functioning 4 port USB hub, mouse and keyboard. Also got an 80 gig
portable hard drive to work. Writing from it now in Opera mini 5 beta for Android

On to Debian.

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Wow, I love such. Total silent computing. Okay the HDD can vibrate and clutter a bit.

jamesbond

#25 Post by jamesbond »

My friend bought this (okay not Eken, but it's another generic brand with exactly the same features - same CPU, same amount of RAM, same amount of NAND flash memory), and today I toyed with it briefly.

What follows isn't any kind of review because I hardly use the device long enough to judge it - it's more of a "first impression" kind of thing.

The devicekinda works, but Android 1.6 is rather old (it shows) and in some cases, a bit incomplete. Putting it to use as a tablet, it is kinda slow - the UI is sluggish, takes a noticeable few seconds when clicking some functions, the kinetic scrolling is - well - slow. The display is nice, though, and for standard browsing / webmail / ebook reading, it's a worthwhile device. If you can get used to the sluggish UI, you will be happy with this.

The good point is - you won't even dream for this kind of device at this kind of price point two years ago. Whether you like it or not, Android (and also Linux) has made all these possible, and we're all better because of it.

vtpup, loves to hear your experience about this (not from the mod point of view, but from usability / performance point of view).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

vtpup

#26 Post by vtpup »

JamesBond I agree with your review out of the box.

But I also changed the firmware to Ecotox 1.1.1 which is a hacked version available on slatedroid.com, and it is much more responsive, and much smaller memory usage, faster, etc.

I really like using the M001 (yes mine is not branded Eken, also) with the free version of Aldiko (downlaod from Softpedia), which makes it a really good epub book reader. Pulled in a few Project Gutenberg books, and they really read great in this software. I also got close to 5 hours reading from the battery when I turned off wifi (set the Eken to "airplane mode") Otherwise, with wifi on, it's about 2.5 hours.

I don't like the resistive touch screen much, but I accept that capacitative would probably double the price of the unit, and then I wouldn't have bought it.

The whole attraction is the low price for quite a bit of usability, and the fact that we can hack/tweak it to make it better. It's far from the ultimate, but it sure is the ultimate for under $100 delivered.

Big problem with Debian so far is that nobody has been able to get touch screen to work with it. This is largely due to the failure to release source code by Eken/via/wondermedia, even though they are using the Linux kernel (modified) and GPLed code to drive things. Starting to irritate the hackers.

Here's a great blog on getting Debian up, some of the log files, and the GPL foolishness:

http://projectgus.com/2010/07/debian-on-the-eken-m001/

Minnesota

Arm Via 8505 Notepad

#27 Post by Minnesota »

Help:

CVS Pharmacy, this week in the U.S., has a Chinese made Branded as Sylvania notepad for $99.99. It seems the same specs as most... tablets and small 7" notepad. Via 8505 processor, 128 meg memory, 2G internal SD card, and SD slot. three USB ports, Rj-45 connector. This Notepad is running Windows CE 6.0. Surprisingly clear screen.. even for me with tri focal lenses.

Real question.... PUPPY????? I have spend several days searching the net and blogs.. I see Debian has been ported... I not real command savvy. Have I missed something? Is there interest in a PUPPY version made to run on this notepad?

With this box hitting available in a Pharmacy... my bet is we will see a lot more on the market.

zapjb

Re: Arm Via 8505 Notepad

#28 Post by zapjb »

Minnesota wrote:Help:

CVS Pharmacy, this week in the U.S., has a Chinese made Branded as Sylvania notepad for $99.99. It seems the same specs as most... tablets and small 7" notepad. Via 8505 processor, 128 meg memory, 2G internal SD card, and SD slot. three USB ports, Rj-45 connector. This Notepad is running Windows CE 6.0. Surprisingly clear screen.. even for me with tri focal lenses.

Real question.... PUPPY????? I have spend several days searching the net and blogs.. I see Debian has been ported... I not real command savvy. Have I missed something? Is there interest in a PUPPY version made to run on this notepad?

With this box hitting available in a Pharmacy... my bet is we will see a lot more on the market.
I just registered to ask about the $99 CVS netbook & Puppy. If Puppy will work on this. Can flash be installed so this will play Hulu?

Specs:
Processor- Via 8505 (300Mhz?)
Display- 7" High Resolution
TFT(800 X 480 pixels)
Internal Memory- 128MB
Internal Storage- 2GB Nand-flash
Connectivity- Wifi 802.11 b/g
Connect- 3USB Ports USB 2.0 x 1 (support external memory)
- USB 1.1 x 2 (support keyboard & mouse only)
SD card slot (up to 8GB)
Microphone jack
Earphone jack
DC jack
Keypad- 80 Keys
Mouse Pad: 2.2" mouse pad
Battery: 8.4 V 1800mAh built in Lithium battery
Built in 2 x 0.5W speaker

Aitch

#29 Post by Aitch »

zapjb

I don't think 300mhz is fast enough for streaming TV/video
Best to go to a store where you can demo one to suit your taste/pocket
The Eken M001 looks interesting - less than $70/ea for ten, from China
-----------------------------------------

Hey guys....is puppy getting left behind here?

Many 7" iPad type 3G devices are running Android/*buntu on VIA 8505 processors at 450/533/600/800Mhz for less than $100 a pop!!

Just what Puppy was intended for surely??

Anyone working on it??

Aitch :)

nooby

#30 Post by nooby »

Aitch
Just what Puppy was intended for surely??

Anyone working on it??
Is not this a sure way to make them very non-motivated.

My experience is that devs only get motivated by their inner lust for doing things and if one make demands that way they get locked in forever. :)

Puppy should be for fun and not by demand by users.

You are one of those motivated to have such Puppy. Why don't you do it? Nothing prevent you from getting to that level if you are motivated enough? You do sound very motivated to me. :) With my tongue firmly dislocated in my big mouth.

Aitch

#31 Post by Aitch »

nooby wrote:With my tongue firmly dislocated in my big mouth.
:lol: :lol: You have a lovely turn of phrase, nooby

I hope the devs DON'T read my posts as demanding....

I like to think I offer encouragement, rather than 'lock people up'

....and despite my enthusiasm, my friend, [and your name].....you've actually made more progress with linux than me!! ...by a longshot!

My eternal difficulty is patience in the unknowingness phases of linux....I like easy, not struggle, and I struggle when I can't get something to go right, or at all

I find it much easier to turn the PC off, and go and do something I DO know how to do

Something to do with the effort/reward balance sheet, I believe

but hey, no problem, really....to each his own :wink: :D

Aitch :)

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

Yes I do trust you did meant it as friendly encouragement and if we are unlucky my clumsy comment could have triggered a counterreaction you did not intend on.

So it is more like a random game. Catch 22 is the name of the game.

Ubuntu being a subset of Debian??? could explain why they are faster at it compared to Puppy.

Debian have had knowledge on how to deal with ARM a long time now?

So that makes some of their devs more familiar with it.

And one requirement is that one own such a computer so one can test on it or one need a very good "simulator" of how an ARM processor is dealing with code?

If you and I and a few more would be enough motivated we would do a pot luck and send money to all the devs and hope for the best that they buy such under 100 USD ARM and get motivated to try out Puppy versions of Debian code on it?

This reminds me a bit about the current race to do Root in Android Mobile phones. These have often an ARM processor if I get it.

But I guess they do it in Windows programming instead of Linux.

They have a dev program for Android in Windows and using that do the coding to do patches on the Android code? Am I right?

Would be kind of embarrassing to use Windows program to make a Puppy Linux for an ARM tablet

Minnesota

Couple of questions

#33 Post by Minnesota »

Questions:

Has anyone used the little CE 6.0 based system? And if so.. it has a LAN connection... have you been able to hook it up to your exiting switch? If so, please help. :). Further to a Puppy or ? I attempted to hook USB to USB on a Puppy box...it did not see the Sylvania. My understanding it is supposed to be seen as drive, same as a camera or adapter. Any suggestions?

This heading is Arm in general.. but I think there might be specifics associated with Via 8505, reading in the past few days there is a difference with some software and Via 8500.

So... As mentioned.... there is hopefully a budding demand and need to get Puppy up and running... My understanding is the Debian runs as command, might be a x desktop, but I am not sure. Unfortunately I am not well versed enough to be of much help, other than a tester.

That said... since we are using Ubuntu depository for other versions of Puppy, is it possible to obtain the correct kernel.. and what else is needed to get a bear bones Puppy running? Again he speaks with little real knowledge and a lot of HOPE :)

Kind of a side wish..... Puppy is known all over the world. These new boxes are built overseas... ie.. China... anyone there who can shed some light or help?

don570

arm processor netbook available

#34 Post by don570 »

This is a new development in the industry, an Arm processor
netbook sold by Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Archos-501540-A ... =de_a_smtd

Technical details:
Processor: Samsung 533 MHz
Memory: 128Mb RAM, 2Gb ROM
Operating System: Windows CE 6.0
Display: 10.2 inch TFT LCD Digital display
Audio: Integrated speaker, 3.5 mm Stereo Headphone Jack
User Interface: Buttons (Power on/off, Reset on/off), LEDs (AC/DC Power, Battery status)
Interfaces/Ports: Standard SD card slot (up to 32 Gb), 3 x USB 2.0, RJ-45, DC-in
Wireless Network: WLAN 802.11 b/g
Battery: 2100 mAH
Dimensions (WxDxH): 182.5 x 270 x 31 mm
Weight: 1.1 Kg

Review in Amazon:
This review is from: Archos 501540 Arnova 10.2 inch Samsung 533MHz 2GB Web Device - Black (Electronics)
This product is the epitome of why notebooks are on their way out. In just 24 hours usage it has already crashed twice, runs slowly and of course has no actual internal memory space meaning that it blanks itself every time it crashes. This is a lot of work for little gain.

Discussion here:
http://armdevices.net/2010/10/18/archos ... ed-laptop/

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

I am amazed that Samsung wants anything to do with 'doze-anything. Avoid CE x.x like the plague. This one looks like the OneT+ with a slightly upgraded cpu - possibly a clocked cpu?!
10" screens are a waste of time - get a real laptop. The original netbook Asus and clones have a 7" screen - ideal for myopes without. 9" might just be acceptable in that format, although, apart from the weight & size penalty, they enter the power:weight spiral defeating the original objective. A 7" screen just about fits in an anorak pocket. Note: anyone calling me an anorak will attract a visit with my violin case.
Having said all that, there's a Debian release for ARM devices and the 3MX .img might work?

Q

sylvania smartbook

#36 Post by Q »

I got the newer Sylvania wmt8650 and found this page
http://pond-weed.com/wmt8650/index.html
although i am NOT that savy when it comes to cml but it worked :lol: it took me about 1hr....lol
now if only the same can be done to run puppy that would be great. Arch is far better than using the useless win ce but its not puppy.....me love puppy :mrgreen: