how to print with canon pixma mp 550

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
alaindu22

how to print with canon pixma mp 550

#1 Post by alaindu22 »

Hello

I look for ppd file for a school's printer pixma mp 550
I see the topic http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47444 but the link is dead

The file you requested (id 96ff4902) does not exist. It might have been deleted due to inactivity (no downloads) or due to not complying with our terms.

I seek also on http://www.openprinting.org/printers but there is no link for mp550

How to find its ?

Thanks
Alain

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have attached a driver below. When you run CUPS, your printer will be listed as "Canon MP550 Series".

If this package does not work, you will need to send a message to Patriot, asking him to re-upload his version.

BTW, Puppy comes with a Gutenprint driver for the Canon Pixma MP520. Did you try it?

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

While we are on the subject of printer drivers, I have another one.
I have a Canon MP390 printer/scanner/fax that I am currently using the Canon S600 driver for.
That is the closest I can currently get with it for the printer.
The scanner is a nogo with linux and the printer driver is an almost works one.
I have researched a driver for this printer also.
Down the line, when I replace the printer, I will have to see if I can get one that is fully linux compatable.
But since I bought 2 boxes of ink cartridges, one color and one black with 20 per box, for $10.00 total for all of them, I cannot complain a lot.

alaindu22

#4 Post by alaindu22 »

Hello
I have tried Canon Pixma MP520 and it was not good
With your's MP550 it depend's
For some computers (we are in a french school with samba protocol/ windows seven's shared printer) it is good but for others no...

But we have an other printer and it is ok with it
Thank's
Alain