Multisession without DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
marksouth2000

Multisession without DVD

#1 Post by marksouth2000 »

G'day all.

I'm trying to use multisession 1.08r on some machines that have no DVD burner (CD burners or combo drives) and getting no joy. Someone on the IRC channel suggested that 1.08 works, but I get the same result (being asked for the DVD on shutdown).

Are there any other versions, maybe earlier ones, that did multisession with CD-R or CD-RW? The docs I've found on the site seem to imply there were.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or (helpful) advice 8) .

And as an aside, thanks very much to BarryK and the rest of the Puppy team, you've put together something quite wonderful as well as practical. :D

blip

#2 Post by blip »

I find multisession 1.0.8r only works on one of the at least eight drives I have tested so far. Some have suggested reversing the CD/DVD detection logic so that it defaults to CD instead of DVD if it is unable to find something telling it that the drive is not a DVD burner or something like that. I have not tried this yet.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

The older versions of Puppy are even less predictable for multisession use. It is a work in progress. Try Puppy2(a) just to see if it will work for you. (Read this post about choosing multisession save at shutdown.)

marksouth2000

Correct puppy2alpha MD5?

#4 Post by marksouth2000 »

Flash wrote:The older versions of Puppy are even less predictable for multisession use. It is a work in progress. Try Puppy2(a) just to see if it will work for you. (Read this post about choosing multisession save at shutdown.)
Thanks for the link, Flash. Is the MD5 on that page correct? I've downloaded it twice and not managed to make the MD5 match.

I got 538ea77861bc94ac0f502cc64fdcab5c for both downloads, but the MD5 link off that page says "1f691d8a660d1a0f9597aa49f2cb7ed7 puppy2alpha-snapshot-29mar06.iso"

I'll give it a try anyway, but I'll be using CD-RWs ... :wink:

marksouth2000

Multisession working with puppy2alpha29mar06

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

I've tried the 2alpha puppy. I noted the Flash/BarryK exchange

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 63abd81c7f

about when one gets to choose to save the session to disk or CD.

Multisession works for me with this image. To try to trick it, I ran it from a combo drive, but it saw right through that and saved the session correctly.

Everything else looks good so far. Keep the alphas/betas coming!

Oh, don't forget that MD5 needs to be doublechecked.

Cheers.