Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 00:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XOpup Interest Group. Puppy Linux for the OLPC XO-1 laptop
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 30 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30
Author Message
hailpuppy

Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 00:46    Post subject:  

Hi Mavrothal,

Does this mean that we can watch youtube now with xopup???Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35623379@N07/4977244187/

I know with experience that XOpup is superb.The only issues that I have so far with it are ,

1.the inability to watch flash videos
2.Somewhat not so smooth movie watching experience
3.Video recording with web cam
4.Not so smooth voice transfer through microphone when engaging in Skype?

But none of these issues stop me from being proud of us Puppylovers as Puppy has made XOlaptop a real laptop!

But if i remember corectly there was a video featuring a Windows XP enabled XO laptop sometime ago.I inquired the local Microsoft Office about it and they said that it is no longer in operation. In that video the web cam and the microphone was really working and the guy in the video actually did a demonstration of it.

http://gizmodo.com/391054/windows-xp-on-olpc-xo-laptop-now-official

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PESikUPIYVs

does this mean that we can further develop XOpup so one day we will no longer have to debate whether it is the best OS for OLPC...I mean the OS with which we will not have any compromises...Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
hailpuppy

Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 01:18    Post subject:  

Ahem Err.Mavrothal,

I do know that demanding is lot more easier than commiting..so pardon my contiuous requests......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 11:18    Post subject:  

hailpuppy wrote:

1.the inability to watch flash videos
2.Somewhat not so smooth movie watching experience
3.Video recording with web cam
4.Not so smooth voice transfer through microphone when engaging in Skype?


1. Unless Adobe comes with a _really_ light flash player for portable devices XO-1 will not play flash video better than 1fps. Usually 0.1-0.01fps Sad Does not have the horse power. No way around it.

2. Vido playback is usually smooth in my hands with the 2.11.9 driver (XOpup-v4). Do you have any specific movie example?

3. This is a problem with the specific application. I guess we have to look for a replacement app that works (or fix this one).

4. This is a Skype issue really. Skype is using its own components for audio and video. There is not much that can be done from the XO end to change that. The fact that can do video conferencing is really above expectation.


Windows will run on XO-1 but you have to ask M$ for their special XO-1 XP version. Is nowhere in the wild that I know of.

Now making an XO-1 OS without compromises... I'm too old to believe in miracles. Just think of this: the XO-1 has the specs of a late P3 early P4 eg a 10-year old machine. There is no way that will become an Atom machine or even a Via no matter what magic the OS will do.

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
hailpuppy

Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 14:23    Post subject:  

Hmm,

But what the heck!!! I love my XOpup still and you guys for making a dream come true. The reason why I have hopes for flash movies because once I was on youtube and the videos were any way working, so I thought they might work after downloading them but with Mplayer I only heard the sound. And with video , I l just be happy with it, I guess Im asking for too much here Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
hailpuppy

Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2010, 23:30    Post subject:  

HI Mavrothal,

I found a solution to stop unnecessary growth of lupusave file,
refer below link.Perhaps for XOpupV5 you could include this change?
Smile


http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=383738#383738
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rrolsbe

Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 182

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 13:36    Post subject: Playing DVD Movie ISO's on OLPC XO-1 on an airplane
Subject description: Have some answers and questions about power managaement and wireless
 

Please see the following post regarding playing DVD ISO's on the OLPC

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1117160661&t=59703

Now that I can play DVD movies on my OLPC, I need to solve a few problems to watch movies on an airplane.

1. What is the easiest way to turn off and VERIFY the wireless is off? Turn it back on?
2. What is the easiest way to turn off ALL the power management (or at least enough to not inhibit watching a movie) while watching a DVD? Can I just kill the power daemon? If so, what is the name of the daemon?
3. How to revert to the standard aggressive power management after watching a movie.

I had a movie playing to test how long the battery would last while watching a DVD movie and the unit went to sleep. I was playing the movie from an ISO located on a USB flash stick. When the OLPC laptop went to sleep, it unmounted the NTFS partition on the USB stick (could corrupt the file system). I plan to monitor the battery life while watching a movie but need an easy way to switch back and forth between the standard aggressive power management (a good thing usually) and little or no power management while watching movies.

Regards, Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 16:42    Post subject: Re: Playing DVD Movie ISO's on OLPC XO-1 on an airplane
Subject description: Have some answers and questions about power managaement and wireless
 

rrolsbe wrote:

2. What is the easiest way to turn off ALL the power management (or at least enough to not inhibit watching a movie) while watching a DVD? Can I just kill the power daemon? If so, what is the name of the daemon?
3. How to revert to the standard aggressive power management after watching a movie.


2)
Code:
kill -9 `pidof powerd`


3)
Code:
powerd &


Quote:
I had a movie playing to test how long the battery would last while watching a DVD movie and the unit went to sleep. I was playing the movie from an ISO located on a USB flash stick. When the OLPC laptop went to sleep, it unmounted the NTFS partition on the USB stick (could corrupt the file system). I plan to monitor the battery life while watching a movie but need an easy way to switch back and forth between the standard aggressive power management (a good thing usually) and little or no power management while watching movies.

Regards, Ron


This souldn't be happening.
The XO should not go to sleep if the CPU is used more than 10%. The screen can deem or even blank if the sleep timeout is after dim or blank timeout (as is set in XOpups) but should not go to sleep.
It doesn't in mine.
A good way to tell that is asleep is the slowly flashing power light (rightmost)
BTW when it goes to sleep it unmounts the USBs.

What's happening if the sleep timeout is before dim/blank? (actually this is the recommended setting for max power savings but the XO-1 flickers a just a bit every time it wakes up and annoys me Smile )
In mine just stays awake during playback.
Type "powerd-config" to set the timeouts and then restart powerd as above.

Is that v3 or v4? Do you have firmware q2e45? any other modifications?

About 1) Good question! Looks like in puppy ifdown/ifup does not work Confused
How do you kill network in puppy???

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 16:45    Post subject:  

hailpuppy wrote:
HI Mavrothal,

I found a solution to stop unnecessary growth of lupusave file,
refer below link.Perhaps for XOpupV5 you could include this change?
Smile


http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=383738#383738


Nice Very Happy
Though I would be reluctant to include it as default because if you say "no" by mistake you lose all your work.

But Now XOpup users that want to use this option know how to do it Very Happy

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rrolsbe

Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 182

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 18:32    Post subject:  Re: Playing DVD Movie ISO's on OLPC XO-1 on an airplane
Subject description: Have some answers and questions about power managaement and wireless
 

mavrothal wrote:
rrolsbe wrote:

2. What is the easiest way to turn off ALL the power management (or at least enough to not inhibit watching a movie) while watching a DVD? Can I just kill the power daemon? If so, what is the name of the daemon?
3. How to revert to the standard aggressive power management after watching a movie.


2)
Code:
kill -9 `pidof powerd`


3)
Code:
powerd &


Quote:
I had a movie playing to test how long the battery would last while watching a DVD movie and the unit went to sleep. I was playing the movie from an ISO located on a USB flash stick. When the OLPC laptop went to sleep, it unmounted the NTFS partition on the USB stick (could corrupt the file system). I plan to monitor the battery life while watching a movie but need an easy way to switch back and forth between the standard aggressive power management (a good thing usually) and little or no power management while watching movies.

Regards, Ron


This souldn't be happening.
The XO should not go to sleep if the CPU is used more than 10%. The screen can deem or even blank if the sleep timeout is after dim or blank timeout (as is set in XOpups) but should not go to sleep.
It doesn't in mine.
A good way to tell that is asleep is the slowly flashing power light (rightmost)
BTW when it goes to sleep it unmounts the USBs.

What's happening if the sleep timeout is before dim/blank? (actually this is the recommended setting for max power savings but the XO-1 flickers a just a bit every time it wakes up and annoys me Smile )
In mine just stays awake during playback.
Type "powerd-config" to set the timeouts and then restart powerd as above.

Is that v3 or v4? Do you have firmware q2e45? any other modifications?

About 1) Good question! Looks like in puppy ifdown/ifup does not work Confused
How do you kill network in puppy???


Thanks for the reply. I am currently using V3 with the geode pet installed. I have the latest firmware because I just updated the OLPC internal NAND two days ago (which also updated the firmware). I am pretty sure it went to sleep on the first test because (as you said), the USB stick was not mounted and when I moved the mouse Puppy came back to life (IE.. was not powered off). If the power monitoring daemon umounts the USB devices before going to sleep, that would be a VERY good thing. NOTE: I also have to rerun DHCP after the unit enters the sleep mode. I will rerun the 1st test , with the standard daemon power settings, and report back later.


1st test rerun results:

Pointed powerd.conf symbolic link back to the original aggressive config file, killed the daemon, restarted and reran the test. It played for 35 minutes and stopped playing. The green power indicator just to the left of the power button was flashing. Moved the mouse pointer and she came back alive but the flash stick I was playing the movie from was not mounted (as expected per your post). The Puppy battery charge level indicated it still had 76% left. If the CPU working more that 10% keeps it from entering sleep mode, I am not sure whats going on???? BTW, how does the daemon know it is in tablet mode??? Is there a hardware sensor that senses when you flip the screen around for table mode?

The stick I am playing the DVD ISO from must be plugged into a USB hub because Puppy doesn't see the device if it is plugged directly into one of the three USB ports?? (using "fdisk -lu" command to verify). Maybe this has something to to with the mystery, but why would it play for 35 minutes???? Also, this stick has an NTFS partition. I will repeat the test (third times a charm) using a stick with an ext2 partition, that works when directly plugged into the OLPC USB ports.

2nd Test: I edited the /etc/powerd/powerd.conf file rebooted and reran the DVD movie play test. Starting from a battery level of 97% the movie played for about an hour and 20 minutes. At that time, Puppy indicated the battery level was at 31% and the multicolor charging/status LED started flashing RED/Orange. Shortly thereafter, the OLPC powered itself down requiring me to plug in the wall-wart charger and power the unit back on (I guess this is the OLPC hardware power monitor and not the daemon that shut the unit down?). NOTE, during this play test I had the screen back-light set to its lowest setting, which I think is OFF? If the movie had played two hours or more, I could at least watch movies in B&W using the airplane overhead lighting; however, looks like that may not be an option and certainly wouldn't be if I watched it in color (IE.. using the screen back-light).

From the OLPC website
# if the LED is red, the battery is low.
# if the LED is flashing red/orange then the battery voltage is critically low, (only minutes left).

I am almost sure it was flashing red/orange when I noticed it (it did shut down within a about a minute or so. Not sure why the Puppy monitor though it still had 31% of the battery left?

Thanks Very Much for your response.
Regards, Ron

PS.. Maybe someone else will post their movie play test results. Wink-Wink

Last edited by rrolsbe on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 14:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 01:20    Post subject:  

rrolsbel, interesting tests Wink
XOpup is overclocked thus consumes even more energy than the normal XO-1, which with a good battery at full CPU/WiFi-on goes about 2,5 hours. So I would expect 2h to be the max for XOpup. Having USB ports/SDcard powered further increases consumption.
XO-1 pick drainage is 14w overclocked should be >16w. Max battery capacity is 22wh, so 1,5h max per charge at max consumption, looks about right.

Your best chance for a movie is: have everything (OS and movie) in an SDcard or USB stick, eliminate overclock (underclock if movie plays still OK), kill wifi (?) and dim screen (just for some color Smile )

Power management is really irrelevant for playback. The XO is going 100% all the time.

PS: Yes the XO-1 has a "switch" for the eBook mode. You can see it in the hardware monitor of Puppy under input.

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 06:08    Post subject: tray battery widget  

01micko made a tray battery applet for the XOpup Very Happy
Just download the bat_widget-0.2.pet (md5sum aeeb2d9a5f29d3d96471eefde3f6b3f8) and click on it.
Will shutdown the old monitor and start the new one. If you uninstall you'll go back to the previous state.

Currently the battery level is reported with 20% increments.
If you want more accuracy (?) you could still run the old monitor by
Code:
xo_bat -g +0-0 &

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep 2010, 16:45    Post subject: XOpup on XO-1.5: openchrome troubles  

I have Puppylinux 5.1.1 ruining on the OLPC XO-1.5 Very Happy that has a VIA7 cpu and the VX800/VX820 chipset.
Is pretty good but I have problems with the openchrome video driver.

Neither the default settings nor videowizard work. Sad
Modifying xorg.conf produces a usable desktop but I have the problem that the camera is turned on all the time.
Even if I specify to " Disable "record" " module an/or " Oprion "I2CDevices" "Bus1" ", to ignore the bus that the camera is on, in the xorg.conf it is still loading record extension and looks at Bus1, 2 and 3 for I2CDevices.

I tried to compile the openchrome driver from source (xf86-video-openchrome-0.2.904) with lupu_devx_511.sfs and I got
Code:
checking for XVMC... configure: error: Package requirements (x11 xext xvmc) were not met:
No package 'xvmc' found


Any xserver and/or compiling experts out there?

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1621

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010, 02:21    Post subject: XOpup moved to a new thread  

XOpup reached 1.0 and has moved to a new thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60155

XOpup-1.0_RC is for the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 laptops, has all the goodies reported above and more.
It can be install in any USB or SDcard (no special formatting is required)

Please update you XOpup and report success failure and (most important Wink ) fixes, in the new thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60155

Pls do not use the new thread for XOpup/-v2/-v3/-v4 issues.
Report them here, but better yet update and see if they go away Very Happy

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 30 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1185s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0152s) ][ GZIP on ]