Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#2581 Post by jemimah »

To disable Chrome's internal Flash, edit /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome and remove '--enable-internal-flash' from the last line.

2lss

#2582 Post by 2lss »

I gave Technosaurus's flash install script a try and installed 7 and 9. Seven did not play youtube stuff and 9 worked good but I'm not convinced that its much different than 10. So far 9 has not crashed but I have yet to test it extensively.

On a side note, how do you disable the startup/shutdown sounds?

aarf

#2583 Post by aarf »

2lss wrote:
On a side note, how do you disable the startup/shutdown sounds?
in >desktop

phanghf

video sluggish

#2584 Post by phanghf »

i'm using eeepc 701 with puppeee. everything was smooth, but video was sluggish. any fix to this?

jemimah

#2585 Post by jemimah »

You can overclock it using eee-control. The 701 is touchy with overclocking and they don't all work - but it's worth a try.

You'll get best results by only changing the clock speed when your system is idle. It crashes more if you try to change it while playing a video or something cpu intensive.

edoc

#2586 Post by edoc »

Just received my Samsung NB30 Netbook yesterday. It is the regular model, not the newest "Pro" with the touchscreen and 2g RAM.

Which version of Puppy for Netbooks is recommended, please?

Initial power-up required loading the start-up version of MS win7 and that included partitioning the 160G HDD. Right now it is divided into Drive: C and D, Drive D is empty and 90g+. (Can I delete junk on the win side to recover more HDD? I am likely to rarely, if ever, use anything MS.)

I presume that I need to convert Drive: D to an EXT3 then load Puppy there.
I think I need to create a bootable USB then in Puppy pfix=ram copy the iso and then load it?
Product Specification:
Storage ControllerSerial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150
Type Serial ATA
Input Device(s)Type Keyboard, touchpad
BatteryInstalled Qty 1
Technology 6-cell lithium ion
Run Time (Up To) 6.5 hour(s)
ProcessorData Bus Speed 667 MHz
Processor Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz
Card ReaderSupported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Memory Card
Type 3 in 1 card reader
NetworkingCompliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Wireless LAN Supported Yes
Networking Network adapter
MiscellaneousCompliant Standards RoHS
Features Anti-scratch
Expansion / ConnectivityInterfaces 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ¦ 1 x PoweredUSB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type A
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1 ( 0 ) x memory
Operating System / SoftwareSoftware Drivers & Utilities, Microsoft Works, Adobe Reader, Samsung Update Plus, Samsung Easy Resolution Manager, SAMSUNG Support Center, Samsung Easy Battery Manager, Samsung Easy Network Manager, Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition (60 days trial), Samsung Easy Display Manager, Samsung Easy Speed Up Manager
GeneralLocalization United States
Color Black
Weight 2.7 lbs
Height 1.1 in
Depth 7.4 in
Width 10.4 in
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna
System Type Netbook
StorageHard Drive 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
VideoGraphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA 3150 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
DisplayFeatures LED-backlit
Widescreen Display Yes
Max Resolution 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
Display Type 10.1" TFT
RAMConfiguration Features 1 x 1 GB
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Installed Size 1 GB
Notebook CameraCamera Type Integrated
PowerPower Device External
Cache MemoryInstalled Size 512 KB
Type L2 cache
Environmental StandardsENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
EPEAT Compliant EPEAT Gold
Manufacturer WarrantyService & Support Details Limited warranty - parts and labor - 1 year
Service & Support 1 year warranty
AudioAudio Input Microphone
Audio Output Sound card
Compliant Standards High Definition Audio
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jemimah

#2587 Post by jemimah »

Edoc, it'll be best to try Fluppy on the samsung first.

For starters, just run it from usb and see if it works well.

If you have no intention of keeping windows, you can repartition and reformat the drive however you want it using Gparted.

But don't wack windows right away. Sometimes stuff like the BIOS updater utility is rather nice to be able to run from windows and if you have the space to keep windows around - it's almost guaranteed to come in handy once in a while.

Also if they didn't give you a restore CD - you make like the keep the recovery partition (if there is one).

edoc

#2588 Post by edoc »

Thanks! I have kept the MS partitions on the other laptops, where they had them, just-in-case. :-)

Fortunately, Linux and Puppy have matured to the place where I never truly need MS, the same as I never truly need anything from the control-freak privacy-violating nuts at Google.

Do you have a link to all of the things you have developed? It would be cool to see it in your sig so it is always right at hand.

Thanks again!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

smokey01

#2589 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah, I have recently tried to install puppeee-1.0 celeron to a 701sd from the iso. It didn't work and I noticed the ze504332.sfs file was not copied onto the ssd when using the puppy universal installer. I then tried a manual copy of the file to the root directory and it still didn't work. I then tried using the zipped version and all is good now.

I also noticed that the files are placed in the root directory and I didn't notice an option to put them in another directory. Is this intentional?

I sourced the two packages from the ones you uploaded to my server at smokey01.com.

Regards

edoc

#2590 Post by edoc »

I am getting a network time-out error here:
http://puppeee.com/files/Fluppy05/

Are you loading the updated version or does that just happen sometimes?

I asked my ISP and he says that I have plenty of spare resources - so if you need a mirror that could probably be arranged.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

Re: beta 5 on 1001P

#2591 Post by edoc »

prehistoric wrote:I've just tried Puppeee beta 5_0 on an Asus eee PC 1001P belonging to a friend.

Good news: it works. Recognizes the N450 dual-core Atom and uses both processors. The Atheros 2427 wireless works without significant problems.

Bad news: the Intel GMA 3150 video keeps insisting it can only do 800x600, true for both Xorg and XVESA.

I don't think the Bluetooth option was included in this one.

In other respects this is a nice machine. The keyboard is OK for touch typing. It has a 6-cell battery. It has the matte finish you like.

It comes with Windows 7, which should keep working when XP is taken off life support. Unfortunately, this is W7 starter, which seems primarily designed to sell higher-priced versions.
Has the GMA 3150 problem been resolved?

I just acquired a Samsung NB30 netbook.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

jemimah

#2592 Post by jemimah »

edoc wrote:I am getting a network time-out error here:

I asked my ISP and he says that I have plenty of spare resources - so if you need a mirror that could probably be arranged.
If you mirror it, let me know and I'll post a link. My cellular cuts me off after 5GB so it's kind of a hassle for me to upload to multiple mirrors. (I try to catch up at the end of the month).

jemimah

#2593 Post by jemimah »

edoc wrote:
prehistoric wrote:I've just tried Puppeee beta 5_0 on an Asus eee PC 1001P belonging to a friend.

Good news: it works. Recognizes the N450 dual-core Atom and uses both processors. The Atheros 2427 wireless works without significant problems.

Bad news: the Intel GMA 3150 video keeps insisting it can only do 800x600, true for both Xorg and XVESA.

I don't think the Bluetooth option was included in this one.

In other respects this is a nice machine. The keyboard is OK for touch typing. It has a 6-cell battery. It has the matte finish you like.

It comes with Windows 7, which should keep working when XP is taken off life support. Unfortunately, this is W7 starter, which seems primarily designed to sell higher-priced versions.

Yes it has.

edoc

#2594 Post by edoc »

jemimah wrote:
edoc wrote:I am getting a network time-out error here:

If you mirror it, let me know and I'll post a link. My cellular cuts me off after 5GB so it's kind of a hassle for me to upload to multiple mirrors. (I try to catch up at the end of the month).
Is there a URL somewhere that explains the proper way to set up a mirror?

Rather than me thrashing around trying to figure it out - and getting it wrong?

Do you need another mirror or would mine be unnecessary at this time?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#2595 Post by edoc »

jemimah wrote:
edoc wrote:

Yes it has.
Excellent! Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

jemimah

#2596 Post by jemimah »

I'm about to change webhosts - I think that will solve most of the problem. Also I need to start using the ibiblio mirror - which does have auto mirroring.

So don't bother for now - I'll work on it this weekend.

jemimah

#2597 Post by jemimah »

Here is an updated trayclock with a "set the time" feature. Someone asked for this a long time ago and I finally got around to it. :D
Attachments
trayclock-.33.pet
(53.69 KiB) Downloaded 954 times

sandungas

#2598 Post by sandungas »

sandungas wrote:
jemimah wrote:There is a window of time between when the kernel does usb detection and when Udev starts that you can plug in a usb device and it won't show up. The solution is to just wait until the desktop has loaded. Are still you having the problem if you wait?.
Yes, tested with several pendrives, none of them is detected
One of the pendrives has a led, and i can see the blinking pattern that usually does when plugged (maybe this means something to you)

When i plug them, dont appear a new icon in the desktop, if i open pmount and i press "refresh" button the pendrive is not detected

I dont remember exactly what happenend, but the other day i saw an error in pmount when connecting or disconnecting a pendrive
Pmount window was blinking, something like closing and opening continuously
I dont remeber what i did to stop this, i thought that was a fail of pmount and i gave no importance
But it seems that after this my USBs are blind...
I found the problem lurking in my savefile, i had 3 whiteout files inside /dev folder
.wh.sdc
.wh.sdc1
.wh.sdc2

The only device that i connected with 2 partitions (fat & swap) was a 512mb pendrive USB v1.0
I did this 2 partitions time ago when trying hibernation to USB... but this time i did nothing strange with it, just plug it
I suspect that the files was generated because a disconnection (in fact... the connector of the pendrive seems to fail sometimes, and usually is not detected when plugged)

I hope this helps you to track this problem
Last edited by sandungas on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

sandungas

#2599 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:Here is an updated trayclock with a "set the time" feature. Someone asked for this a long time ago and I finally got around to it. :D
I installed it yesterday (in a ramboot session), but nothing changed :oops:
Its supossed to work with the 3 windows managers ?

Btw... talking about the clock... this remembers me that i have to purpose you to change some default settings for the next release
As always... are just suggestions
IceWM clock 24 hours
IceWM config file --------> /root/.icewm/preferences

Code: Select all

TimeFormat="%H:%M"
24 hours format clock is smaller in size, and i think that is more "standard"
Menu items
IceWM menu template config file ------> /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.icewm_menu
Here you can remove the "help" icon (and even the "run" icon)
The idea is to make this menu smaller, although is not needed, but we have another help icon in the desktop
ROX desktop
ROX-Filer ---> options ---> Pinboard

Foreground ffffff (white)
Text shadow 000000 (black) shadow type: thin
Font size: 13
Icon grid step: medium (16 pixels)
The combination of white over black in the fonts is a standard in other operative systems... is visible over dark & light backgrounds
Font size 13 i think is optimun for small screens... by default is 12... but 12 is a bit small... and 14 is too big

Default grid step (fine setting) is 2 pixels... and is not accurate at all, is very hard to align icons with the default setting
Coarse setting is 32 pixels (is too much, and is not needed)

jtouso

#2600 Post by jtouso »

An easy way to compare and differenciate Puppeee 1.0, Puppeee 4.4 beta1 and fluppy 005?
How to install wbar (wich one pet archive does I need? in any of them?
Regards