Don't understand folders on multisession DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
dln9

Don't understand folders on multisession DVD

#1 Post by dln9 »

I am running Puppy 5.1 entirely from a DVD.

When I changed the configuration, it created a directory on the DVD - I asked to save to the DVD - titled year-month-day-time1. Then, a little while later, I made more changes and created some directories I wanted set up, and it created an additional directory on the DVD titled, year-month-day-time2.

I don't understand.

Does the second directory entirely *replace* the first, so that the first is no longer needed? Then, when Puppy is loading, does Puppy merely need to look at the second (latest) directory?

Or, does the second directory contain only the incremental changes compared to the first directory, so that Puppy needs to look at both directories?

If the second replaces the first, how do I get rid of the first directory on the DVD in the interest of saving space on the DVD? Pburn, Brasero, Gnomebaker, and Brasero all refuse to remove the existing first directory from the DVD.

If the second needs to work in conjunction with the first, then I foresee down the road lots of these directories on the DVD everytime I make a change, create and save a document, etc. That seems odd to me.

Thanks in advance.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Yes, they are incremental...
I believe the whole purpose is so that if you bork something you can ignore the last save file, as it cannot be erased from the DVD....
The bootcode is "puppy pfix=?" where ? is the number of saves to ignore..
Sort of a "system restore" for running entirely from a DVD/CD ... :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...