Legacy OS (TEENpup) User Experience Feedback

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#21 Post by john biles »

Hello sneekylinux,
You have created the Definitive Install Guide to Legacy OS, simply amazing!! I look forward to your next installment in helping improve the usability of Legacy OS for those requiring help.

Thank you for your support and enjoy thar beer you love so much. :D

Links to sneekylinux's wonderful video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZm1aHDh_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsOxW2i7RI
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Colonel Panic

#22 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've downloaded a copy and it works well (a stable XOrg, for a start) and has a great range of apps including two I haven't seen before; Kalzium (a periodic table app) and Concentration, a memory tiles game. I've made good use of both!

Just one small quibble; I preferred the look of Teenpup 2009, with its bright summery colours. Is it possible to have that as an option (a different theme, for example) in Legacy OS?

I saw a couple of spelling mistakes in the menus too, nothing serious but it may make a difference when Legacy gets a wider audience (which it deserves). I can't remember what they are but if you're interested I'll have a look when I get home.

Thanks for all your hard work,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#23 Post by john biles »

Hello Colonel Panic,
I hate spelling mistakes and look over and over everything trying to make sure none get through. Please list the 2 you found Please!

As for the Dark Look theme and changing it. Some Users didn't like that I had made TEENpup 2009 Legacy Vista-ist looking and for other reasons I decided I wanted to give Legacy OS its own look. Many hours where spent experimenting with the KDE theme look until I got what I was happy with. Make an change to a color here also changed a color somewhere else I didn't want changed, drove me crazy. Once that was worked out had to change the GTK theme to match and that too had it quirks. some backgrounds and icons in different apps had to be changed as they suited a light environment. So changing Legacy OS look is more than just replacing the GTK theme in /usr/share/themes and the KDE theme in /opt/kde/share/apps/kdisplay/color-schemes/

With this in mind I don't give any options in the menu to change themes, I'm doing an Apple and only suppling just the default theme, Sorry!

Roger Hunter

#24 Post by Roger Hunter »

Not a spelling error but I'm getting multiple duplicate menus on the popouts from the main menu.

Roger

john biles

#25 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
I'm getting multiple duplicate menus on the popouts from the main menu.
Can you explain more and may be attach a image of the effect.
I've had no multiple menus in testing?

Roger Hunter

#26 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

When I click on a menu item it pops out a sub menu which should have 3 selections on it but instead has 6 lines, 2 sets of 3 choices.

Roger

john biles

#27 Post by john biles »

Roger Hunter,
Your problem happens when Legacy OS is reading the menu from 2 locations. Just confirm you haven't copied the /usr/share/applications directory to anywhere else.
have you played with the menu in any way?

What happens when you reload the menu?
In menu navigate to Accessories > Misc > Reload Menu

Roger Hunter

#28 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

The only thing I've done with the menu is mount the disk and look at backgrounds.

Reload Menu fixed it.

The other problem is that logout --> reboot drops me to a text window with a # prompt and typing reboot is what is required to actually do it.

Roger

john biles

#29 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
The other problem is that logout --> reboot drops me to a text window with a # prompt and typing reboot is what is required to actually do it.
I've got a 500Mhz Celeron PC and 1.6Ghz Pentium PC and both require I press the "OFF" button after they "Shutdown". Personally I can live with that hopefully you can too.

Sage

#30 Post by Sage »

The 'no shut off' was a feature of many earlier versions, especially with SiS chipsets, many laptops and a few miscellaneous specimens. Dougal advised inserting ACPI=force into menu.lst and this was usually a sufficient workaround. It was a kernel issue according to BK and no longer occurs. We discussed it all many times, here.
On the other hand, I am finding many instances when johnbiles' LegacyOS dumps me at a prompt and have to type in 'poweroff'. This is a different feature. No idea what might be the cause but I bet there are plenty of gurus who do.

Colonel Panic

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

john biles wrote:Hello Colonel Panic,
I hate spelling mistakes and look over and over everything trying to make sure none get through. Please list the 2 you found Please!

As for the Dark Look theme and changing it. Some Users didn't like that I had made TEENpup 2009 Legacy Vista-ist looking and for other reasons I decided I wanted to give Legacy OS its own look. Many hours where spent experimenting with the KDE theme look until I got what I was happy with. Make an change to a color here also changed a color somewhere else I didn't want changed, drove me crazy. Once that was worked out had to change the GTK theme to match and that too had it quirks. some backgrounds and icons in different apps had to be changed as they suited a light environment. So changing Legacy OS look is more than just replacing the GTK theme in /usr/share/themes and the KDE theme in /opt/kde/share/apps/kdisplay/color-schemes/

With this in mind I don't give any options in the menu to change themes, I'm doing an Apple and only suppling just the default theme, Sorry!
No worries. I'll post those spelling / typing errors when I'm back on my own machine, they're not too serious anyway. Unfortunately I don't have broadband so can only get online from a public internet facility or from home at local call rates (i.e. very expensive, so I have to ration it).

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Roger Hunter

#32 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

Reboot, not poweroff and yes, I could live with it but see no reason why I should.

Too many puppies around for that.

Roger

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
I could live with it but see no reason why I should.
reason's simple; it's free and I don't have a fix for you sorry!
Too many puppies around for that.
puppies are made by average user's who give large amounts of time FREE to create these for those who can use them. We do the best we can.

Roger Hunter

#34 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

No offense intended, sorry.

I was pointing out problems with Legacy as you wished.

Roger

john biles

#35 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
None taken, just letting you know I'm just a lonely user like yourself :D

Colonel Panic

#36 Post by Colonel Panic »

Colonel Panic wrote:

No worries. I'll post those spelling / typing errors when I'm back on my own machine, they're not too serious anyway. Unfortunately I don't have broadband so can only get online from a public internet facility or from home at local call rates (i.e. very expensive, so I have to ration it).

CP .
Here are the ones I found from the menu; in each case I've put the word I think is wrong on the left of the "arrow" (===>) and what I think it should be on the right. They aren't too bad.

Games - Puzzle Games - Grounghog ===> Groundhog

Printer Management - Maintenence ===> Maintenance

Graphic's & Photo's ===> Graphics and Photos (apostrophes not necessary or correct)

Photo Management - Photo's (several) ===> Photos (apostrophes not necessary or correct)

Personal - Contacts - Contact's ===> Contacts

Office - Misc - Chart's ===> Charts

Calculator - Numerial ===> Numerical

Best,

CP .

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello Colonel Panic,
Thank you for your list. We fix in next release or come up with a tar.gz users can unzip.

Colonel Panic

#38 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thank you for your list. We fix in next release or come up with a tar.gz users can unzip.
You're welcome. I've seen one more since that post, only a small one. There's a stray apostrophe just off the "Burning" menu (second submenu I believe);

CD's ===> CDs.

I can't get more exact at the moment because I'm not on that machine right now.

CP .

aai

teenpup

#39 Post by aai »

I am very glad with this pupplet. Its working great.
there were standing two old pc with a pentium III processor and a AMD 3d processor, 64mb memory and about 500 mHz with Windows98SE.
Nobody used these pc and now I installed LegacyOS the kids are playing the games and doing there homework. The laptop is now for 100 percent for me. Great job

cretsiah

#40 Post by cretsiah »

slightly off topic:
sullysat wrote:Pidgin is a great list, but its also a little cranky to install on puppy.

Sully
Although its been awhile since I've used puppy I usually found that when using pidgin it was always best to load the 2 components...

- pidgin
- pidgin-perl

for hassle free msn,irc,yahoo chatting, however times do change and as said it has been awhile.
I don't know how much luck you will have as Legacy OS uses glibc 2.5 from Puppy 3.0 like ttuuxxx's 2.14x does. john biles
I wonder if we could use the devx file from ttuuxxx's 2.14x (if he put 1 together :) ) so that those of us that wished to attempt insanity by compiling things for legacy os that we think we may want or might do for pure experimental purposes could do so.. just had a funny thought raflmao (or maybe it would be easier to temp/con ttuuxxx into doing something similar to what he did with FireFox 1.5 seriously modified, think he named it firepup?? cretsiah imagining ttuuxxx modifying a series 1 Open Office (ram requirement unsure but probably not more than 64meg) with Open Office 3 (128meg ram requirement) file format inclusions)

back on topic: legacy os:

as per this post : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 340#474340

SPECS: (i dont know all of them sorry)

brand: IBM A21M
Video card: 8 meg ATI 2x agp
CPU: Xeon/Celeron 800MHZ
RAM: 128 meg (pc-100 chips)(however only 127 megs register in bios load-out suggesting a 1meg cache or something)

Games were great except for the flight simulator which seemed to freeze things up if you crashed and was very small window using xorg, (will try again under xvesa to see if can increase window size of game).

Didnt get to test out internet connectivity 1) forgot where the network wizard was placed 2) kid was bugging me to look at the games LOL...

Ram: was @ 97% usage so i doubt a wifi usb dongle would have even worked (wasnt using a swap drive) based on memory capacity alone.also because of this didnt checkout the BG thing but I will after doing some partitioning.

Im not 1 for the kool dock, however I did love the sidebar option.

not sure if the pdf files (on desktop screen) were supposed to open pdf viewer if you clicked on them, they didnt for me. I did manage to open them from the pdf viewer in the menu though.

sound worked out of the box.

will attempt some more reviewing later in the week...