Keyboard layout

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
JackED42

Keyboard layout

#1 Post by JackED42 »

I have an acer 7720g laptop, and the super key, fn key, is not working, I have tried a lot of the work throughs on the site, but still no luck.

The image shows my laptop layout. I have changed the settings in Setup->Mouse/keyboard layout

Any ideas?

clarf

#2 Post by clarf »

I´m not sure but you could see your xorg.conf file and check if it´s using the PC-105 keyboard layout, It should be the default layout to make these special keys to work...

clarf

abushcrafter

[How To] Enable The Windows Key.

#3 Post by abushcrafter »

[EDIT: There is a better way. Set the keyboard model to "pc104" the win key will be know as the Hyper key not as the Super key. This also enables the menu key.]

You need to enable the windows key in the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". You can do this using the "Mouse/keyboard Wizard"

Code: Select all

Setup>Mouse/keyboard Wizard>Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration...>OK>Options>Alt/Win key behavior>altwin:super_win "Super is mapped to the Win-keys (default)."
Then restart X (It's in the Shutdown sub menu in the menu.)

If you regenerate your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (e.g. By going though the Xorg Wizard again.) then you will need to enable win key option again.

The win key is called "Super". So if you want hotkeys using the win key, you will want super for the mask ("mask" specifies the modifier keys that must be held and then for the other key(s) to be pressed to do the action.).

If you want to have the win key enabled when you regenerate your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Which You will probably like if like me you use/have a frugal install of puppy on a flash drive. To have this feature you need to VERY carefully edit "/usr/sbin/xorgwizard".

Look for the bit of code that looks like this:

if [ "$XSECTION" = "InputDevice" -a "$IDENTIFIER" = "Keyboard0" ] ; then
     TEMPSECTION="$TEMPSECTION
	Option      \"XkbRules\" \"xorg\"
	Option      \"XkbModel\" \"pc102\"
	Option      \"XkbLayout\" \"$XKEYMAP\" #xkeymap0"
This code might vary in different puppy versions.

Remove the last:

"
Then Add this string on a new line:

Option      \"XkbOptions\"   \"altwin:super_win\""
So it should look like this:

if [ "$XSECTION" = "InputDevice" -a "$IDENTIFIER" = "Keyboard0" ] ; then
     TEMPSECTION="$TEMPSECTION
	Option      \"XkbRules\" \"xorg\"
	Option      \"XkbModel\" \"pc102\"
	Option      \"XkbLayout\" \"$XKEYMAP\" #xkeymap0
	Option      \"XkbOptions\"   \"altwin:super_win\""
Now could some one add this to the wiki for the time being. As I have not got around to getting a wiki account.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/