Pupflux 5.1.1 and PfluxLite-5.1.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

Pupflux 5.1.1 and PfluxLite-5.1.1

#1 Post by steve_s »

I debated between testing this more heavily or just getting it out to y'all, and I decided with the latter. :D I worked out the kinks I wanted to and am glad to present Pupflux 5.1.1.

This is the temporary download link.

Alternative Download(s):
Thanks, MU! Very appreciated! (username: puppy, password: linux)

And now PfluxLite-5.1.1! Download here, same username and password. See here for more details.

This is Puppy Linux using the Fluxbox window manager. This, like most Puppy items, is a community gig: dejan555 provided the fluxbox for Lucid, all the wallpapers are ones I did and/or are from the Puppy Wallpaper thread, same with the icons, the themes are from dejan and other places. Hope you enjoy it and post if I can help.

Here is the original Pupflux thread.

And just for fun I put Pupflux 5.1.1 on a Window's installer. Please see this post here for download info and check the beginning of the thread to see what you are downloading.

Notes: fluxbox had real issues with wanting to start up right away...then once I got it starting, it didn't want to stop. The wmpoweroff and wmreboot Puppy scripts work great from terminal, but baulked when used from the fluxbox menu, so I had to come up with other scripts for those. I'm really pleased with the Hide or Show icons option (great job, seeker!) and with how the rest of the menu set up came out, not to mention the whole look overall.

It is slightly larger than Puppy Lucid but that can be attributed to having Opera and gpicview. JWM and ICEWM have been removed as much as I could (certain scripts refer to certain jwm items, but the actual jwm and icewm have been removed). I may do a lite version but that depends upon how this one is recieved. 8)

PLEASE HELP BY MIRRORING!
Attachments
pupflux-511.iso.md5sum.txt.zip
(252 Bytes) Downloaded 565 times
pupflux-511-screenie1.jpg
(88.53 KiB) Downloaded 6242 times
pupflux-511-screenie2.jpg
(111.14 KiB) Downloaded 6226 times
pupflux-511-screenie3.jpg
(87.25 KiB) Downloaded 6204 times
Last edited by steve_s on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 00:38, edited 5 times in total.

Roy

#2 Post by Roy »

steve_s,

I love it!

A couple of things: Menu > System > Htop process viewer doesn't work for me. Menu > Utility > Mrxvt Terminal does get me into Htop via

Code: Select all

htop
I noticed an audio player isn't included; I am going to try Iguleder's Deadbeef http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59461

-Roy

EDIT: deadbeef works (very well) from Mrxvt Terminal, but the menu entry doesn't show up, even after running "fixmenus" (fixmenus does not apparently work without JWM?). Htop shows 116MB RAM used while playing an mp3 audio book in deadbeef, Opera browser open to post in this forum, and two Mrxvt Terminal windows open. Pretty good!

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

Hi steve, congrats on pupflux 5.1.1 edition :)

@ Roy fluxbox should have own menu generator in fluxbox menu it says refresh menus.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

Roy wrote:steve_s,

I love it!

A couple of things: Menu > System > Htop process viewer doesn't work for me. Menu > Utility > Mrxvt Terminal does get me into Htop via

htop
I noticed an audio player isn't included; I am going to try Iguleder's Deadbeef http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59461

-Roy

EDIT: deadbeef works (very well) from Mrxvt Terminal, but the menu entry doesn't show up, even after running "fixmenus" (fixmenus does not apparently work without JWM?). Htop shows 116MB RAM used while playing an mp3 audio book in deadbeef, Opera browser open to post in this forum, and two Mrxvt Terminal windows open. Pretty good!
Hey, glad you like it! The beauty of Fluxbox is you can edit the menu immediately... in the menu under System, the first entry is edit fluxbox menu...see how the others are entered...if you can run something from mrxvt then you can just get that setup wherever you want in the menu...as soon as you save the new entry the changes take effect.

i'll check on htop, but you might just see what the menu exec is...if it isn't the one you want/the one that works, change it. ;-)

Oh, and gnome-mplayer/mplayer plays music files great. I left it just as it came with Lucid 'cause I didn't want to add too much size to Pupflux.

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

dejan555 wrote:Hi steve, congrats on pupflux 5.1.1 edition :)

@ Roy fluxbox should have own menu generator in fluxbox menu it says refresh menus.
Thanks, Dejan!

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

Yeah, so comments on fluxbox: if you install something, just as you might with Lucid, then you should run it from mrxvt/terminal just to make sure your program is running.

Once you know it is running, just put it where you want to in the menu by either going to the Fluxbox part of the menu and entering that way or, my favorite, in the menu, System, then Edit Fluxbox menu, then the menu will pop up, edit how you want, then save it, and IMMEDIATELY the changes have taken effect. Very quick, very simple. 8)

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

Further fluxbox comments: in this case you have some desktop adjustments you can make as usual per Puppy, like Wallpaper and icons.

But you can also do you desktop adjustments in fluxbox menu...so, you right click, get the menu, up top is the usual Puppy "Desktop" entry for stuff as I just mentioned, but further down on the menu list is "Fluxbox Menu" and a sub-menu from that one are things like "User Styles" and Wallpapers (the same ones listed in the usual Puppy wallpaper adjuster), etc. You can click and instantly change a wide variety of display characteristics about the desktop, the beauty of Fluxbox.

steve_s

#8 Post by steve_s »

Regarding Htop, as Roy mentioned (good catch) it is off.

The menu entry should say, instead of "mrxvt-full" just get rid of the "-full" part and save the menu changes, then it works great. 8)

I should be able to make those changes and post a newer version today. If you folks catch any other items that I need to change on there please post... :D

Roy

#9 Post by Roy »

steve_s,

You're absolutely right! Gnome-mplayer/mplayer is there (I later found) and it DOES play everything just fine on its own. My bad for not understanding the menu creation stuff. Like a dolt, I merely assumed that if it wasn't in the menu, it wasn't there.

Thanks for offering an update with the menu entry(s) -- I am looking forward to it!

-Roy

steve_s

#10 Post by steve_s »

Updated htop menu issue, new iso uploaded. New md5 checksum also uploaded. 8)

steve_s

#11 Post by steve_s »

For future reference, to developers (those that like to compile/install more complicated stuff in this version): here is the devx for this version.

It is the one used for Puppy Linux 5.1.1, Lucid.

Look here to learn how to use an sfs file with Puppy.

Look here to learn how to use the devx sfs for installing software.

The easiest way to install software for Puppy is to first right click to get the menu, then Setup, then Puppy Package Manager and follow the directions for the software that you want. But, as I mentioned, more obscure software can be installed by loading the devx sfs, then compiling your software from a source package (see the above links).

If you have questions that I can help with, please post. 8)

steve_s

About Mplayer from command

#12 Post by steve_s »

In the spirit of the minimalist desktop that is fluxbox, I wanted to make some comments about running mplayer from the command line. It is amazingly simple once you get the hang of it...running stuff from the keyboard I find much easier than moving the mouse somewhere then clicking...

Anyway, here are some tips.

I was using mplayer today to watch an avi movie file. So, from the command I moved to the folder I wanted:

cd /mnt/home/movies
then playing the movie. I find that this allows me to do just about anything I want...today I was watching True Grit, the classic John Wayne movie.

mplayer -vo x11 -zoom -aspect 4:3 true-grit.avi
That says play mplayer with the video output of x11, allow it to change sizes via zoom and regardless of what the avi aspect ratio is, set it to 4:3.

Now, let me show you some keyboard shortcuts:

f key, toggle fullscreen on or off
right arrow, skip ahead about a minute
left arrow, go back about a minute
up arrow, skip ahead like 5 minutes
down arrow, skip back like 5 minutes
page up key, skip ahead 10 minutes
page down key, skip back like ten minutes
Space bar, pause the movie/start the movie from pause
Ctrl+Q, exits mplayer, or anything else that you want closed that you currently have active.

Mplayer plays just about anything. Yes, you can click on gnome-mplayer and just run it from the menu, yes, and most of the keyboard shortcuts will also work, but it may be harder to pick video output and aspect ratios.

Anyway, just sharing my two cents. 8)

grimoire

Re: About Mplayer from command

#13 Post by grimoire »

I have an fbpager here, this is very useful for some wm and panels like fluxbox, pekwm, bmpanel2, and tint2 panel. Ask me if you want a pet. :)

steve_s

#14 Post by steve_s »

grimoire wrote:I have an fbpager here, this is very useful for some wm and panels like fluxbox, pekwm, bmpanel2, and tint2 panel. Ask me if you want a pet. :)
Yes...please see my other post on the other thread...thanks!

grimoire

#15 Post by grimoire »

you can find the configuration in /.fluxbox/fbpager
Attachments
fbpager-0.1.5.1.pet
(62.11 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
fbpager-shot1.png
(19.24 KiB) Downloaded 5922 times
fbpager-shot2.png
(573 Bytes) Downloaded 5871 times

steve_s

#16 Post by steve_s »

Thanks, grimoire...would you please give a brief description of what it does?

dejan555

#17 Post by dejan555 »

It's a desktop/workspace switcher applet :P
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

By the way, just wanted to make sure and mention: I added Quickpet to the menu under Setup...

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

The version on this page works great with Pupflux 5.1.1.

I downloaded it, unpacked it, then changed the name by getting rid of the _431, ran bootmanager and added the sfs.

Then, change the fluxbox menu as you normally do, but OpenOffice commands are as such:

swriter, word processor
scalc, spreadsheet
smath, mathmatics
simpress, presentation
8)

steve_s

PfluxLite-5.1.1

#20 Post by steve_s »

Now we got PfluxLite-5.1.1!

Check the first page for download location...thanks to MU for giving a great download location (username: puppy, password: linux).

This was created from scratch using Woof...not totally tiny (120MB) but much smaller than Pupflux 5.1.1 original.

It does not have a browser (easy to install from the menu with Quickpet or run quickpet from terminal), gnumeric, abiword, jwm or icewm.

If someone asks I can upload the devx, but the Lucid devx mentioned before will probably work fine (I think so? I created it using the same settings as Puppy Lucid, just left some things out) but didn't want to take up all of MU's bandwidth.