Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
gerry

#221 Post by gerry »

@Jemima- I'm using the beta version, how do I upgrade to 1.0? Just install the new one and overwrite the beta, or uninstall/reinstall, or....

thanks- gerry

jemimah

#222 Post by jemimah »

Uninstall the old version, then install the new version.

gerry

#223 Post by gerry »

Been using PWireless2 for a few days on my Acer Aspire One, first on Puppy 431, then Fluppy 003. Works beautifully- until today. Neither Puppy would detect any networks. I tried reconfiguring again and again, deleting old profiles here and there, tried live usb without a save file- nada.

So I woke Windows XP from it's hibernation, to check that the computer itself was ok, and that worked. Gave Puppy 431 a last chance before I wiped it and re-re-re-re-installed Ubuntu NBR, and it made it's wireless connection on boot-up with no intervention. Haven't tried Fluppy yet, but I expect it to work. EDIT: yes, it does.

So....if your Puppy won't see any wireless networks, just run Windows XP to straighten things out.

gerry

gyro

#224 Post by gyro »

Just downloaded Pwireless2, and tried to use it, to configure a second ethernet interface.
Situation:
eth0, auto dhcp, UP, connected to Internet.
eth1, not configured.

Trying to achieve, eth1 configured as 192.168.3.1/24, nothing more.
Gateway for machine is already defined, so should not be specified again.
DNS servers are already defined.

Run Pwireless2, select "DHCP" tab. Three interfaces are listed, lo, eth0, and eth1.
I click on eth1, then unset the "auto" box so static boxes become available.
Enter 192.168.3.1 and 255.255.255.0, leave rest blank.
Pwireless2 complains with "invalid gateway" error message, does nothing.

Run network wizard, specify only IP address and network mask, no problem, done and dusted.

gyro

jemimah

#225 Post by jemimah »

gyro wrote: Trying to achieve, eth1 configured as 192.168.3.1/24, nothing more.
Gateway for machine is already defined, so should not be specified again.
DNS servers are already defined.
How are these already defined?

I could remove the error checking but I don't understand why I should do that.

gyro

#226 Post by gyro »

jemimah wrote:How are these already defined?
By dhcpcd running on eth0.

gyro

jemimah

#227 Post by jemimah »

Pwireless2 definitely wants to be the only subsystem managing the network. It wasn't designed to be friendly to running multiple network tools at the same time.

Combining roaming and NAT is probably fairly complicated. The right thing to do in my opinion would be to add a sharing tab to Pwireless2 itself.

gyro

#228 Post by gyro »

I ran my test again.
This time I started with no interfaces defined.
In Pwireless2 I configured eth0 as "auto DHCP", then tried to configure eth1 as 192.168.3.1, but it won't let me.

So for anyone wanting to use puppy as a router (Internet sharing), I suggest that you use the normal Internet Connection Wizard.

gyro

gyro

#229 Post by gyro »

jemimah,

The way Pwireless2 currently functions is fine if there is only 1 real interface. But if you want Pwireless2 to be useful in configuring multiple interface situations, then I would suggest that changes are advisable.

The most likely explanation for puppy having more than 1 active network interface, is to run puppy as a router. In this case, a default gateway and DNS ip addresses, are required on 1 and only 1 of the interfaces, (the up-stream interface).
So if 1 of the interfaces is configured to use dhcp ("auto dhcp"), then all the other interfaces should be configured statically with just an IP address and a network mask.
But if all interfaces are configured statically, then 1 and only 1 interface should be configured with the extra information. (Although in this case I would be tempted to just leave all the fields available, and check none of them.)

gyro

gerry

#230 Post by gerry »

I'm using Pwireless2 1.0 in a Puppy 431 frugal on Acer Aspire One. I often find that when I boot up it does not connect. I start Pwireless2 from the menu, click roam, and no networks are found. Here's a work-around: click the Disconnect button, then click Roam. My network is displayed, click Connect, and off we go.

Is it supposed to work this way? One thing that occurs to me is that I have the router configured to auto-select the best channel. Does Pwireless2 catch up if the router selects a different channel from last time? Or does that happen in wlan0?

gerry

jemimah

#231 Post by jemimah »

It might be a timing issue. It's possible that Pwireless2 is starting before your wireless card is done initializing.

You can edit /etc/rc.d/rc.services and increase the delay to see if this is the problem.

gerry

#232 Post by gerry »

Thanks... 5sec was not enough, but 30sec works. Don't quite understand what's happening- when does the 30 seconds start? The connection seems to come up fairly promptly after the desktop is settled.

gerry

jemimah

#233 Post by jemimah »

It starts during boot when you see the message "starting services....backgrounded".

chrismt

#234 Post by chrismt »

I tried this app on Puppy 5.1.1

My First question is this:

Is there any difference between this version linked here and the app that is in the default Lucid repos in the Puppy Package Manager

And if the answer is Yes, which one is better

My Second question and bug is this:

Whenever I boot my PC, this version doesn't connect automatically

This gives me this error

Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory.

So, everytime, I have to click restart wpa supplicant

My third bug and question is this:

I am unable to uninstall this

I uninstalled this from the PPM but when I reboot, I still see the app.

My Last question is this:

I read in the first post the following

So you should remove any profiles from Network Manager before installing the pet. After installing the pet, you should reboot, and everything should start up automatically.

How do I do it?

Thanks

jemimah

#235 Post by jemimah »

The one for Lupu uses the lupu versions of wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd. The pet for 4.2/4.3 contains it's own copy of the networking daemons.

I suspect your problem is similar to gerry's above and the solution is the likely same.

I have no idea why the package doesn't uninstall. if anyone knows what causes this problem, please let me know.

technosaurus

#236 Post by technosaurus »

Does the new vewsion support udhcpc/udhcpd from busybox?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#237 Post by jemimah »

I haven't tested it, but I doubt it.

Syntax would be easy to fix, but I'm guessing the busybox version is not nearly as smart as dhcpcd - possibly features that I count on would be missing.

I need the following:
autodetection of wired interfaces going up and down
ability to ignore specific interfaces
ability to assign static IPs

technowomble

#238 Post by technowomble »

jemimah,

I had Pwireless2 working in Puppy 4.2.1 - see my earlier posts - but I'm not having any luck getting it working in Lupup. As pwireless2 is in the Lupup repro. I have to connect using network-wizard, ( I'm using a rt61 pcima wifi card ) install pwireless2, then remove my profiles from network-wizard and re-boot. Pwireless2 opens - from the menu entry - after a message that no wireless device is detected - but without any networks detected. When I click refresh or roam I get a flash that WPAsupplicant has started, then pwireless2 locks up and I have to use the ' kill ' option from the status bar. Interestingly, with pwireless2 installed a check for missing dependencies reports that ' something ' is missing libgio, though a search shows that all installed pets are not missing anything, and libgio is present in /usr/lib. It looks as if something is broken, do you or 01micko have any ideas? Could i try your original pet in Lupup, as I know that worked OK with my card?

jemimah

#239 Post by jemimah »

You can try it. Although be warned Chrismt mentioned that it did not uninstall cleanly. So use a throw away save file.

It may also work better if you download Pwireless2 first so you never have to connect with the network wizard.

technowomble

#240 Post by technowomble »

I'm not sure what I did right this time jermimah, but pwireless2 ( the lupup version ) worked OK. Possibly before I didn't remove all the profiles in network-wizard, there seemed to be more than I remember in 4.2.1. :oops:

Anyway, here's what I did, in case anyone else is having the same problem.
1: Connect using network wizard, then click ' this boot only ', click ' cancel ' when asked if you want to make it default connection.
2: Install pwireless2 from PPM
3: Remove all profiles from /etc/network-wizard.
4: Reboot, click 'connect ' and pwireless2 will be in the second menu, opened by selecting type of connection.
5: Select pwireless2 and it will open with a list of available networks - you know which is yours I hope :D