Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#2601 Post by jemimah »

Puppeee 1.0 should be called Puppeee 4.3X. Most of the libs in 4.3X are the same as 4.3.1. This version is considered stable.

4.4 is my new development version. I'm updating the multimedia stuff and continuing moving forward, trying new things, etc.

Fluppy 005 is the same as Puppeee 4.4Beta1 except the kernel and Eee-control.

jtouso

#2602 Post by jtouso »

Clear as clean water!
Thanks!!

mvainio

#2603 Post by mvainio »

I just installed Puppeee 4.3X about two weeks ago, and am very happy with it. It makes the OS I love, and which was installed by Asus look like a doorstop.

But I'd like to point out a few things that, to me, seem lacking. Just observations. It won't be turning me off to my decision to install Puppeee, even if they aren't addressed. :)

1) An equivalent of checkdisk automatically run when errors encountered during boot. Hard to do I am sure given the number of ways people get to their Puppeee, but would be nice.

Being an extreme nub to *nix, I am at a loss to resolve the simple errors. It looked like a few blocks were unallocated due to an improper shutdown/lidclosing, and it seems Puppeee is happy to operate in spite of them. fsck seems to find them, repair them, but each time i have rebooted there are still errors. (And yes, I probably have made a simple situation worse trying fscK, but Puppeee seems fine all the same)

how do I get to fsck and an unmounted Puppeee partition from within Puppeee? Or is this even the correct tool? f-ile s-ystem c-heck k-omrade I presumed ;)

2) I know the Puppeee help says that I can find other people's applications if they are not provided by the Puppeee site, but for me, discovering where to find them (no list?), or what other distro's versions are compatible with Puppeee makes that job seemingly impossible. Puppeee being derived of Puppy is easy. But the rest is harder for me.

ie: I am a diehard eMule user, and am well aware of aMule and how well its claimed to work with Linux distros. But with so many around, no idea what I should base my decision as to which to pick.

Put this in as a request for it to be added as part of Puppeee, or that some kind soul make it available. I couldn't find it.

Again, all this is small potatoes. I love the abilities it provides, and how much RAM real estate it makes available.

Thank you.

jemimah

#2604 Post by jemimah »

Fsck is on the Advanced boot menu if you created a bootable card with my installer.

If you're booting with grub, you need to add an entry with pfix=fsck on the kernel line.

You find apps on this forum, under Additional Software. You need to use 4.3 packages and not ones for lupu.

This aMule pet might work.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 16&t=38404

sandungas

#2605 Post by sandungas »

@mvainio
There are .pets compatibles with puppy 4 in this folder
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-4/

Btw...
@jemimah
Take a look at this icon theme when you have a spare time, please
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... inal-1.pet
Is a shiny icon theme, and uses very intuitive images (mostly copied from KDE)

*The only icons i dont like in this theme are the ones refered to "mounted devices" that adds a ugly text over the icon
Yesterday i was thinking in replacing this text with a simple coloured point (like other themes does)

Trip[ABK]

#2606 Post by Trip[ABK] »

uhh i cant be bothered to read or update the os...works fine w/e version i got... i got it a few months ago... just wanted to say it runs good and stable, aside from an accidental reboot.. (was wipen dust off..hit power button)

[21:51] &NO_U[ABK] Record Uptime: 5 weeks 4 days 3 hours 55 minutes 7 seconds set on Fri Sep 10 03:07:55 2010

it was on for over a month.....and i run irc/ventrillo/msn on it constantly and occasional website viewing and gameplay...i keep a fan under it...but it runs cool..runs good..very smooth..no issues..all is good.. just wanted to post my pro uptime :P woulda been like 2 1/2 months now damn reboot :(

my only..suggestion which i believe is a puppy..or a linux based issue for that matter... is some kind of built in duel monitor support. i know it HAS it..but only a mirror desktop thing goin on ...monitor 1 and monitor 2 would be pwnage.

jemimah

#2607 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:\
@jemimah
Take a look at this icon theme when you have a spare time, please
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... inal-1.pet
Is a shiny icon theme, and uses very intuitive images (mostly copied from KDE)

*The only icons i dont like in this theme are the ones refered to "mounted devices" that adds a ugly text over the icon
Yesterday i was thinking in replacing this text with a simple coloured point (like other themes does)
Yeah, the zip and play icons don't really look right either IMO.

jemimah

#2608 Post by jemimah »

Trip[ABK] wrote:
my only..suggestion which i believe is a puppy..or a linux based issue for that matter... is some kind of built in duel monitor support. i know it HAS it..but only a mirror desktop thing goin on ...monitor 1 and monitor 2 would be pwnage.
First you need to reboot with the VGA plugged in - it doesn't work right if you plug it in after booting up.

Then you can use Zarfy to setup spanning. The LxRandr tool only supports mirroring, but Xorg supports spanning fine. If the virtual screen size is not big enough to fit both monitors side by side, there's a way to increase it by editing the xorg.conf. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head though.

I find the LCD on the Eee to be too small to be very useful as a second monitor though - I usually just close the lid when I connect to my external monitor.

gonkbag

#2609 Post by gonkbag »

Hello jemimah
I'd just like to send a big ass thanks to you for puppeee, I eventually got round to trying it on my son's eeepc 1001ha (I think it is) and it works out of the box :D I had tried for ages to get the wireless working (I think it's ralink 3090 although I could be wrong) and now you've gone and made fluppy so I'm going to put that on a stick and give that one a whirl.
Once again THANK YOU

nooby

#2610 Post by nooby »

Jemimah, I must do something very wrong but I totally fail to get right time using Fluppy and sorry for asking in Puppy but as you say it is essentially same behavior when it comes to setting time as I get it.

Time does not fail in Lupu and other puppies. Most likely I fail to get what goes wrong.

Any suggestion or hint on how to set it right. I live in Stockholm Sweden so I do set it to GMT+1 but that makes it go one hour wrong. it is 8.46PM now local time but Fluppy says it is 9.46 instead.

And I corrected the time yesterday and it revered back to showing wrong time. Annoying. :)

Do I have to go into Bios and set that one straight and then do what?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

cinclus_cinclus

#2611 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

Before making the following changes in Fluppy please correct if necessary your local time setting in your BIOS (see below).
nooby wrote: Any suggestion or hint on how to set it right. I live in Stockholm Sweden so I do set it to GMT+1 but that makes it go one hour wrong. it is 8.46PM now local time but Fluppy says it is 9.46 instead.
[/b]
-> Setup
-> System
-> Country Wizard
Personalize Settings:
Europe/Stockholm
don"t check "Use UTC Hardware Clock"
-> OK
Afterwards set your local time in:
-> Set date and time
Do I have to go into Bios and set that one straight and then do what? [/b]
Leave your time settings in your BIOS as usual or if necessary set them to your local time.

Aitch

#2612 Post by Aitch »

nooby

The bios clock is often referred to as RTC, real time clock, and along with 'date' is set to the current date/time, where you are, and can cause problems if it's wrong - often, caused by RTC battery failure

As far as I know the local time setting in all puppies now works the same

Stockholm is UTC / GMT +01:00 hours, with no daylight saving time [hour difference] that we apply in UK

Aitch :)

rerwin

modem/modprobe update for puppeee 1.0 and 4.4

#2613 Post by rerwin »

jemimah, et al,
I have collected all the relevant modem and module-loading updates between "level 6" and wary 098, plus some cleanup items into a single dotpet package. It should work with both puppeee 1.0 and 4.4. I have tested it somewhat with both on my eeePC 1005HAGB. It is attached.

It includes usb_modeswitch 1.1.6, which is not yet proven to work. But I have a workaround package ready if anyone reports it not working. I think a few people should try this on either version of puppeee before consideration is given to merging it into a 4.4 beta.

If there is a better place for me to upload this package, just tell me. Thanks to all who try this out. Send me a pmodemdiag file if you encounter a problem.

UPDATE 2/1/2011: Updated the package (after download 36) with minor changes to /sbin/pup_event_background_modprobe and ..._protect, as well as to /usr/sbin/remasterpup2. No need for most people to take it, but those changes should go into the official puppeee. I bumped 9 to 10 to match the generic modem package level 10, reflecting the upgrade to support modeswitch 1.1.6, which was already in the 20110124 package.

UPDATE 2/9/2011: Updated the package (after download 52) with changes to 4 files: the 2 /sbin/pup-event...modprobe... scripts, the .../all-firmware/dgcmodem tarball and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Puppeee actually does not use that tarball, because the driver module is absent. But since DGC modems are USB types, that driver could be added to puppeee, even though most such modems are already supported by the cdc_acm driver. I would expect the DGC driver to support more functions (fax?), but have not confirmed that. If the driver is not added, then the tarball could be removed.

UPDATE 2/18/2011: Updated the package (after download 87) with a corrected pupdial, to address Toy4's problem with intermittant failures to connect with dialup. (The fix is to insert a "sync" command just before the wvdial command on line 688, for anyone who prefers to make that simple edit instead of reinstalling.)
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 18 Feb 2011, 22:14, edited 6 times in total.

jemimah

#2614 Post by jemimah »

Thanks!

rerwin

#2615 Post by rerwin »

jemimah,
You are welcome. I am reviewing the PCI-modem firmware tarballs to ensure they can handle the absence of the actual driver they support, in case such a modem is installed. I see that 4.4 contains several of the tarballs, but not the drivers. Do you foresee that some netbooks using puppeee (or fluppy) might contain built-in modems that would require the PCI drivers, such as the Agere, Lucent, HCF or HSF?

The slmodem tarball is necessary if a netbook has one of the ALSA modems, even though the PCI and USB drivers are not present. The tarball contains a daemon the ALSA modems would use. The larger question is whether a netbook would ever have a built-in modem.

With my soon-to-be-updated tarballs, it will not matter whether the drivers are present. But if you will never need support for such modems, you could remove the aforementioned tarballs, as well as udev rule file 60-dialup-modem.rules, since relates to only the Intel536/537, Agere and mwave modems.
Richard

jemimah

#2616 Post by jemimah »

Many netbooks have built-in 3G modems, but I don't know of any with the old style POTS modems. The first model EeePC has a modem port, but no actual modem inside - it is possible to remove the motherboard and add one, but I don't think many people do it.

I think the built-in in modems are generally usb though, not PCI.

Fluppy should support PCI modems though - I intend it to work on machines besides netbooks.

Let me know what usb modem drivers I am missing.

Digger

xset Commands Not Taken at Startup

#2617 Post by Digger »

Hello all,

Just started using Puppy 1.0 on my 901 (see my signature block for specifics). Lovin' it so far!

I've encountered a glitch, however. I've researched this rather exhaustively, but have not found the answer.

As I've switched some of the keys around on my keyboard, I'd like to run the following script on startup:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
 xmodmap -e "keycode 62 = Up"        # Shift       => Up
 xmodmap -e "keycode 109 = Prior"    # Fn-Shift	   => PgUp
 xmodmap -e "keycode 98 = Shift_R"   # Up          => Shift
 xmodmap -e "keycode 99 = Control_R" # PgUp        => Fn-Shift (can also now be used as Control_R)
 xmodmap -e "keycode 104 = Right"    # Down        => Right
 xmodmap -e "keycode 105 = End"      # PgDn        => End
 xmodmap -e "keycode 102 = Down"     # Right       => Down
 xmodmap -e "keycode 103 = Next"     # End         => PgDn
 xmodmap -e "add shift = Shift_R"    # Make the new Shift key shift
 xmodmap -e "remove shift = Up"      # Prevent the old Shift key (i.e. the new Up key) from shifting
 xset r 62                           # Make the new Up key autorepeat
 xset r 109                          # Make the new PgUp key autorepeat
 xset -r 98                          # Prevent the new Shift key from autorepeating 
 xset -r 99				              # Prevent the new Fn-Shift key from autorepeating
Here's the problem: I put a command to run this script in "/root/.icewm/startup" The "xmodmap" commands always work, but the "xset" commands don't. I then have to suffer the indignity of running the script myself in order to get my keyboard to work.

On a side note, I ran this exact scheme on my machine when I was using the Asus version of Xandros that was originally loaded without any issues.

Does anyone have any ideas why the "xset" commands are not working on startup? Any suggestions?

TIA!
Last edited by Digger on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
eee PC 901; Using Puppeee 1.0; Xvesa; Window Manager = Flwm; Desktop Environment = ROX Filer

[url]http://www.astronautbiker.com[/url]

Digger

#2618 Post by Digger »

Just reporting that I was able to solve the xset problem by using Xvesa as opposed to X Windows. Thanks, Jemimah, for making Xvesa an option in Puppeee 1.0!

Of course I had to modify the keyboard reconfiguring script, to the one shown here (see the script listed for "Current versions of Linux").

IHTH someone!
Last edited by Digger on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
eee PC 901; Using Puppeee 1.0; Xvesa; Window Manager = Flwm; Desktop Environment = ROX Filer

jemimah

#2619 Post by jemimah »

You should probably put it in /root/Startup. It might be running before X has loaded. (Xvesa does load faster).

Digger

#2620 Post by Digger »

jemimah wrote:You should probably put it in /root/Startup. It might be running before X has loaded. (Xvesa does load faster).
Thanks, Jemimah!

I'll try that and will report back.