update deleted auto connect at startup?

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

update deleted auto connect at startup?

#1 Post by nooby »

I updated Lucid Puppy Quick start the LupQ 509 version from 506 or 508 not sure. Frugal install. with a pupsave for 506 that first got updated to 508 and then 509 but only lost internet after last update!!!

After that update I lost connection to internet LAN and have to manually do it again and again each time me boot up.

So something went wrong there.

How does one manually repair that ability to remember how to connect?

I guess one elaborate way would be to start all over? Are there an easier way to do it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

babaguy

Good Question, Noob...!

#2 Post by babaguy »

No answers from me, Noob (so nothing NOO there !) but it's a very good question.

In my first Puppy install (4.2 Retro on an HP Omnibook XE2 with a replaced HD) I had to manually connect sometimes (I always just use an ethernet cable) and I also had to start "Firestarter" Firewall every time, even though Puppy always assured me it would remember and start "Firestarter" automatically on the next boot-up.

The "Firestarter" issue pops up in other newer Puppys as well...

I was also having this manual connect thing in LuPu 5.10 off a CD, and when I went back to 4.3.1/CD to try and cure a NO SOUND issue in 5.10, I found that the ethernet connection was not recognised in 4.3.1 ! ! !

So if there ARE any wily Pup-Coder-Commanders out there who have a clue how to solve this, all answers are (as EVER) most welcome...

I *think* I'm just going to go and either re-burn or re-run the first install in my 5.10 and 4.3.1 and see if Puppy gets it right the second time around!

- babaguy
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Thanks Baba,

yes I have similar experiences. I used puppy431 and loved it but it lost connection say each 30 minutes or so.

then deep into a thread Barry or another guy that are good at puppy told us how to change something and I gave it a try and it worked.

Then Barry or somebody came up with Simple Network Setup and I use this in Quirky 1.0 and it always work and keep DHCP or what I ahve .

No problemo until me updated LupQ from one version to next.

So I either have to start all over with LupQ and hopefully that restore it's ability to remember the settings.

But a lot of job to start all over. Sure one can rename it to LupQ2 and that way know which is which and mimic what one installed from Package Manager and such.

then when everything work one delete the bad one and keep the new one and change from lupq2 to lupq

I hope somebody in this thread tells me more about how to do an automatic SNS connection in Lupu before I make all that work .

I feel too lazy this day. Am a bit depressed that the summer is over and me not gone down in weight.

Baba, we could use the good search to find that all thread maybe.

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

that one is really good. One only need to remember the exact key or important search words.

babaguy

Tak, Noob...!

#4 Post by babaguy »

Tak a *LOT*, Noob - !

But I suppose "Real happiness lies in making others happy," so I will undertake a search or searches about the SNS / DHCP issue in Quirky and also try to see what code one commands to ensure that "Firestarter" actually STARTS like it *says* it's going to do!

I may not have anything for you for a day or so, but I will crawl through the forum & Well-Minded and try to get some helpful insights and perspectives...

Tak, as I say - and if you're anywhere near the Opera Cafe/Bar in Stockholm please have an espresso for me, won't you? (Should only set you back maybe 10 - 20 kroner...!)

- babaguy

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Coffee can taste real good. :)

Firestarter wow that is good you remind me. I usually test by going to

Console and write

iptables -L and then if it has drop then I trust it worked.

# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
TRUSTED all -- anywhere anywhere state NEW

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
DROP icmp -- anywhere anywhere state INVALID

Chain TRUSTED (1 references)
ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-request
DROP icmp -- anywhere anywhere
REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
#

Does that look okay to you?

Re SNS. Quirky has it built in but Lupu seems to not use it.

Wish one can add it as a pet? is that possible?

babaguy

I Beg to Differ...

#6 Post by babaguy »

Re SNS. Quirky has it built in but Lupu seems to not use it.
I must beg to differ, Nooby - I have used (a little!) LuPu 5.10 via a CD and it DOES have the SNS - at least the iso *I* downloaded and (finnally!) burned had it - I went back and went through it all using the "Classic" Puppy Network Setup GUI thing-a-ma-jig too - Both were there...

Onward ! [/quote]

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Okay but how does one find it then. :)

Have looked and see it nowehre.

But I ahve lupq and maybe you talk about lupu?