New Install Boot Error: "lupu-511.sfs not found"

Booting, installing, newbie
leejosepho

New Install Boot Error: "lupu-511.sfs not found"

#1 Post by leejosepho »

Greetings!

I have just had Puppy 5.1.1 "live" (CD) install itself into a partition at the beginning of a drive in my machine, and I have used the instructions and .zip file here to do that:

-- http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?fi ... 20Disk.txt --

After selecting Puppy at startup, I next see the keyboard line complete, but then this happens:

"Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...lupu-511.sys not found" ...

... and then the system halts at a "#" prompt.

I think it *might* be looking for a session file saved as ext3 on vfat ...

I am completely new to all of this ...

What should I do?

I thank you!

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you look in the menu.lst file on your hard drive, you will see lines like

Code: Select all

kernel /boxpup/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us
  initrd /boxpup/initrd.gz
Do they match up with the actual location of the Puppy files?

What else is on this hard drive? If you are willing to start from scratch, the install method here will be easier to get working.

leejosepho

#3 Post by leejosepho »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you look in the menu.lst file on your hard drive, you will see lines like

kernel /boxpup/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us
  initrd /boxpup/initrd.gz
Do they match up with the actual location of the Puppy files?
Yes. Here is my menu.lst file:

=========================
# Boot menu configuration file
# Boot automatically after 10 seconds
timeout 10
# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0
title Puppy 5.11 (on /dev/hdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /puppy511/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us
initrd /puppy511/initrd.gz
title puppeee (on /dev/hdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /puppy511/vmlinuz psubdir=peee pkeys=us
initrd /puppy511/initrd.gz
# Not used - hidden with #
#
# title TinyCore Linux
# kernel (hd0,2)/boot/bzImage
# initrd (hd0,2)/boot/tinycore
=========================

"puppy511" is the folder Puppy made for itself in my selected location during installation, then I later used the GRUB installer from the link mentioned in my first post to add Puppy to my existing loader for Windows. That GRUB installer did not complete successfully, so I went into menu.lst and corrected it to look for its files in the puppy511 folder on the first partition of the second drive. At that same time, I also changed "root (hd0,0)" to "root (hd1,0)" (as just above) to get on over to the correct drive.
rcrsn51 wrote:What else is on this hard drive?
Windows 98 and 2000 system and storage partitions. I can give Puppy exclusive access to a 3gb partition if that would help here, but letting it reformat a drive is not a viable option.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

kernel /puppy511/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us 
Because you have put the puppy files in the folder named "puppy511", you need to change the psubdir argument to

kernel /puppy511/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy511 pkeys=us 

leejosepho

#5 Post by leejosepho »

Got it, and I thank you so very much!

Puppy is presently loading in that machine, and I will be back here in it in just a couple of minutes ...

:)

leejosepho

#6 Post by leejosepho »

Here we are in Puppy now, and I again say, "I thank you!"

As an avid multi-booter, I have been working hard at learning how to do this kind of thing, and this addition has been one of the easiest and simplest so far. I have Mint on my primary machine, but I am still working on getting a dependable-and-safe boot system set up for the several operating systems there.

Question: Are the things at the link your provided for Puppy installations exclusively for Puppy?

I ask because I would now like to be able to use what I have done here to add other Linux links within my own XP's "boot.ini" file.

This particular machine I am on at the moment with Puppy is one I am putting together for a friend, and I hope he will be as delighted with this as am I!

mill0001

#7 Post by mill0001 »

I use Grub4Dos with XP. Just google Grub4Dos, download it, open file and move grldr to your C: drive. Move your menulist file to your C: drive. Open boot.ini as text add this line at the bottom C:\grldr="Start Linux". Save and reboot. You should now get a boot menu with Win XP first and then Start Linux second,use arrow key down on Start Linux, press enter, you should see your various Linux systems listed. Pick the one you want to boot and press enter. I have been using this set-up for sometime now and it is very simple and extremely reliable for booting any number of systems using the boot.ini boot loader. Be sure to use the quotes on "Start Linux" in your boot.ini file

leejosepho

#8 Post by leejosepho »

I thank you for that suggestion, and I will definitely do that on the machine I am setting up for a friend ... but my own computer also has Windows 7 on it, and I am fairly sure (from things I have read about dual-booting Puppy) Grub4Dos or anything other than EasyBCD would destroy the Vista/Win7 script in my boot sector. However, I might be wrong about that and I always welcome correction!
mill0001 wrote:I have been using this set-up for some time now and it is very simple and extremely reliable for booting any number of systems using the boot.ini boot loader.
My goal for my own system is exactly the same, and I plan to experiment a bit to see whether I can use any part or similarity of what Grub4DOS does without losing access to my Win7 once again.