Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Genealogy software - request for a Pupget/Petget
Page 3 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
zippytex

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep 2010, 15:20    Post subject: windows and succesful genealogy programs  

Let's see....Windows and Successful.........does not compute. I have used Paf, Roots and Ancestral Quest. Windows itself screws up all of them.

Roots has the best thing. Roots on a usb stick, the program and your data. At least when Windows does foul up, your data and program can plug into any computer.

Please, I want to use Puppy, but it we can not get gramps to work, I will go to Ubuntu. Anyone know of a pet for 5.1.1? Thanks in advance to all you smart people.javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
davids45

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep 2010, 20:55    Post subject:  

G'day zippytex,

Sorry to hear you've had problems with Windows and certain genealogy software.

I tried this pet of Gramps (but not in 5.1.1):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49722

but I prefer other programs for holding & displaying my family history data.

David S.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep 2010, 21:55    Post subject: RootsMagic & wine  

RootsMagic v.4 is arguably the best genealogy software. I have used it and its predecessors for years. It's for Win2k. XP, etc. I run puppy QNop 1.2 only now, and for some time I used VirtualBox also, mainly just for this program.

I dropped Vbox recently and now run RootsMagic on wine-1.1.39-p4.pet. There are some limitations: I can't display attached pdf documents inside RootsMagic (jpgs are fine) and some of the auxiliary internet links don't work.

I do have hopes of getting the pdf display to work (any ideas?) and it generates pdf reports of course. For data entry and maintenance, everything else AFAIK - it's fine.

Of course I run it in /mnt/home/ to keep it out of the save file. If you're moving it from a windows installation you'll need to do a search and replace to get the addresses of pictures and pdfs right for the new folder name.
zeke varg

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec 2010, 15:58    Post subject:  

davids45 wrote:
G'day zippytex,

I tried this pet of Gramps (but not in 5.1.1):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49722

but I prefer other programs for holding & displaying my family history data.

David S.

Has anyone else tried this Gramps pet and have any comments on it? I guess the essence is, is there any other Gramps pets out there that are more stable/recent?

For sure, having Gramps on a netbook running Puppy must be a powerful ally for genealogists on the go, being able to bring a compact workstation without sacrificing neither speed nor flexibility and versatility...
Page 3 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to: