No power on monitor after running puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
perthen

No power on monitor after running puppy

#1 Post by perthen »

Just started with puppy and think its great so easy to set up only problem is the monitor ,its an acer LCD and after shutting puppy down and booting into windows the monitor will not power up, I have to pull the power plug from the wall socket then reconnect and all seems to be ok again...any suggestions please..Graphics card ATI Radeon 7500 series

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

You might want to try another monitor to see how it works with your setup.

Same applies to the graphics card...whatever it takes to isolate the source of the problem.

However, a simpler solution would be a good-quality surge protector with an on/off toggle switch (which should always be used with computers that are plugged into wall sockets).

Instead of plugging and unplugging, just flick the switch.

Edit: please see my edit below.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

surge protector with an on/off toggle switch
Why do you need a surge protector? Don't the powerpoints have switches in your part of the world?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Why do you need a surge protector?
Why don't you google computer surge protector and see for yourself?

perthen

#5 Post by perthen »

Thanks for quick reply but tried both suggestions different monitor beit the same make and model and new graphics card no improvement.. as for the surge protector I always use one and its built into a powerdown plug which cuts power to the pc and peripherals when pc shuts down... I use this as the wall socket is very difficult to reach..didn`t mention I have not installed puppy to HDD because I wanted to make sure all working ok before making any permanent changes could this be a problem

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

different monitor albeit the same make and model
You need to try a different type of monitor.

Does this unit not have its own on-off switch, or does it not solve the problem?

perthen

#7 Post by perthen »

I use powerdown plug because wall power outlet is difficult to access (behind pc desk) but when pc is powered off there is still a light on usb hub so not a complete disconnect from power source, not able to try different monitor, will have to find way to totally isolate pc after use ...thanks for your help

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Dewbie wrote:
Why do you need a surge protector?
Why don't you google computer surge protector and see for yourself?
I meant why would you need it to solve this problem, not why you should use it in general :roll:
rcrsn51 wrote:Does this unit not have its own on-off switch, or does it not solve the problem?
perthen wrote:I use powerdown plug because wall power outlet is difficult to access
I think rcrsn51 was asking about the monitor, not the power outlet.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

a powerdown plug which cuts power to the pc and peripherals when pc shuts down
but when pc is powered off there is still a light on usb hub so not a complete disconnect from power source
I can't imagine what an incomplete disconnection from the power would be...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

I meant why would you need it (surge protector) to solve this problem
Because it has a toggle switch to isolate the computer, etc. from the outlet when the switch is turned off.

The idea is to avoid all the plugging and unplugging needed to accommodate the monitor (using the switch instead), if the problem can't be solved in any other way.

Edit:
Oops, never mind, this is not a good idea.

Using a continuity tester, I found that the switch only breaks the hot-side connection of a surge-protector outlet, but not the neutral or ground sides (Canada / USA wiring).

In other words, if the surge-protector switch is turned off, the neutral and ground sides of its outlets still follow a pathway to the electrical service panel. This will render the computer unprotected.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

Because it has a toggle switch to isolate the computer, etc. from the outlet when the switch is turned off.
Just like the switch on the wall... I'm still interested to know if your country does use wall sockets that aren't switched.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

postfs1

#12 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Dewbie

#13 Post by Dewbie »

I'm still interested to know if your country does use wall sockets that aren't switched.
Here in the States, the majority of 110v wall sockets aren't switched.

Switched wall sockets are sometimes used for plugged-in lights that are turned on when you first enter a room.