Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 00:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
[FILLED] simple stand alone audio spectrum analyzer
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
artifus

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 20:34    Post_subject:  [FILLED] simple stand alone audio spectrum analyzer  

Edited_time_total
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 21:24    Post_subject:  

Maybe something of relevance in this thread?
artifus

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 21:57    Post_subject:  

thanks, muggins, but been there and done that with no joy. been looking around these parts, and elsewhere, for a few days now. might be time to find a copy of linux for dummies and learn how to compile myself. have tried a few times now and found it a confusing, frustrating and ultimately futile experience. thanks again, tho.

ps any idea as to why my [url] tags above failed to work?
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 22:04    Post_subject:  

Vala based Spek could be interesting...but not sure whether it has any gnome-based requirements. I'll have look later & see whether I can compile it. Compiling generally is pretty easy...(the only problem being that sometimes the required dependencies of a particular program dwarf little puppy!).

But if you do try compiling, and get stuck, just post a query & someone will usually try & get you past the stuck point.
artifus

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 22:11    Post_subject:  

thanks again for the speedy replies. have tried following instructions from this forum to convert tar.gz to pet to install from and ended up with uncompressed files spewed out all over the shop... very new to linux and have a lot to learn.
spek looks interesting but the page you linked to states that it "helps to analyse your audio files" with no mention of live sound card input monitoring which would mean having to record files before viewing. real time analysis would be preferable.
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 22:46    Post_subject:  

If you have a working Java setup then, this might be OK:

http://arachnoid.com/FFTExplorer/index.html

You would just need to download FFTExplorerApp.jar, then right-click the file & Set Run Action to java -jar "$@".

If you don't have a working Java it's probably best to search, in "Additional Software" section. for a java .sfs file, add it to the bootmanager, reboot, then make sure that you get a response from running java --help in a console. Then the above jar file should work OK.
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 23:29    Post_subject:  

Not sure whether this java-based one is relevant either?

http://www.oli4.ch/laoe/
artifus

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 00:30    Post_subject:  

many thanks, muggins. i found a java pet on the forum which seems to have worked and have just downloaded and run fftexplorer. success! seems to do what i want too, may not even need xoscope now. i didn't use the boot manager but thanks for introducing me to it, i'm sure it'll come in handy in the future. had a quick look at the laoe link and it seems to be more sound synthesis/design orientated but may be worth a play with later, tho i doubt this poor old pooter could handle it. thanks again for your time and effort, it's very much appreciated.
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 09:40    Post_subject:  

I compiled alsa-nyser, but don't think it would be of use to you. Also compiled gtkspec, and attached below. Run by entering gtkspec in a console.
gtkspec-0.7b-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gtkspec-0.7b-i486.pet 
Filesize  332.87 KB 
Downloaded  331 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
artifus

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 10:55    Post_subject:  

typing gtkspec into the console i get this response:

debug: opening mixer /dev/mixer, record from 4096 () with
debug: opening soundcard /dev/dsp, sampling rate 44100, sa
r of channels 2
illegal instruction

i've checked dependencies with nothing missing. any ideas?

fftexplorer in java seems a tad shonky and runs quite slow so i'm not sure how much use i'd get out of it. i wouldn't mind taking a look at alsa-nyser, out of curiosity if nothing else, seeing as how you've gone to the trouble of compiling it. thanks again, muggins.
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 20:04    Post_subject:  

No, I'm mystified why gtkspec is crashing, as I compiled it on quirky1.3. Maybe download the quirky compiler devx, change directory to the gtkspec source directory, then just run:

Code:
make && make install

(I don't think I had to do anything else to compile it...I'm just wondering whether it's picked up some weird dependency from my computer...although you would imagine it would throw up an error message if this was the case?)

Regarding analyser, I've just zipped up the relevant files, extract it somewhere, change to the directory, then run:

Code:
./analyseur
analyser.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  analyser.zip 
Filesize  105.7 KB 
Downloaded  360 Time(s) 
artifus

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 22:30    Post_subject:  

thanks (again!) will give it a go.
nooby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct 2010, 03:32    Post_subject:  

Would be cool if you succeed, such tool would be a good thing to have.
So do tell us if you get something working

CatDude

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 06:40    Post_subject: Re: simple stand alone audio spectrum analyzer
Sub_title: or freq for xoscope. not baudline.

freq51.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  freq51.zip 
Filesize  284.18 KB 
Downloaded  379 Time(s) 

artifus

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 18:48    Post_subject:  

hi guys, thanks for the interest, response and help so far - sorry for the late response - life has been getting in the way and some projects have taken a back burner. briefly looked at freq and was baffled as to what to do with it. have recently downloaded, installed and have been playing with lucid 511 which seems a little more stable, nippier and user friendly on my systems and have been learning a little more about puppy and linux in general. have even managed to create a multiboot usb key - may even post a newbie how to as i stumbled upon a very simple method after hours of futile internetting... anywayz... will be back on the simple oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer soon and will report back... off to play with lucid and must check out puppystudio at some point... ta!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum