Remmina remote desktop client pet

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mark_C

Remmina remote desktop client pet

#1 Post by Mark_C »

I had a need for something like this so I tracked down the DEB file for it.
I then found out it would not run without some libraries and so I tracked them down and converted all the DEB files to pets with deb2pet (great program) and zipped them up.
I am not sure if you need to have rdesktop installed for this to work or not since I already had it installed on this computer but you might.
Anyway I am running this on Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 I am not sure if it will run on other Pups or not but it might.
I am pretty new to all this so I hope this works

http://www.tbof.us/images/misc/remmina.zip

Mark_C

#2 Post by Mark_C »

Just a small update.
You do need to have rdesktop installed for this to work.
You can get that through the Puppy Package Manager under Puppy 3

When connected to a remote desktop, there is a mode called "Toggle Viewport Fullscreen Mode"
This will only work correctly if you are using Icewm, for some reason in JWM it doesn't switch screens.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Please enlighten us as to why we might want Remmina instead of another rdesktop frontend :)
And what version is it?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

The latest remmina uses FreeRDP instead of rdesktop. The reason to use it is that the UI is better.
(not to mention it supports VNC (both client and server!) and Xdcmp, nx, and ssh.)
A pure GTK+ 2.0 application!
Maintain a list of remote desktop files, organized by groups
Make quick connections by directly putting in the server name
Remote desktops with higher resolutions are scrollable/scalable in both window and fullscreen mode
Viewport fullscreen mode: remote desktop automatically scrolls when the mouse moves over the screen edge.
Floating toolbar in fullscreen mode, allows you to switch between modes, toggle keyboard grabbing, minimize, etc.
Tabbed interface, optionally managed by groups

Mark_C

#5 Post by Mark_C »

I think people coming from a Windows environment will find it some what familiar to what they have been using, making the switch more comfortable for them.

This is an older version 0.7.4
The newer version if I remember correctly requires more libraries for it to work and also the plugins (RDP, VNC, ETC.) are separate, this one has them built in, except this one does not have NX(NO MACHINE) functionality.

I originally tried to compile this straight from source but being pretty much stupid when it comes to Linux, I failed at that and found the DEB packages and found a way to make it work.
I am sure there is a better way to put this together then converting DEB packages to PETS then zipping them up for download but unfortunately at this point in time with the knowledge I have, its the best I could do.

disciple wrote:Please enlighten us as to why we might want Remmina instead of another rdesktop frontend :)
And what version is it?

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

Fluppy has the newest version if anyone wants to see what it's like.

JackWagon

Remmina

#7 Post by JackWagon »

jemimah wrote: (not to mention it supports VNC (both client and server!)
The remmina VNC server in Fluppy has not worked out for me yet. I tried remmina viewer to remmina server with no success.
So, I though I would try a UltraVNC viewer to remmina server; and after a while I did get the time out error about a DSM plugin. :( The UltraVNC viewer I was using was not configured with a DSM plugin enabled or different rfb protocol. I'm sure I am doing something wrong.
I can't find any DSM files in Fluppy or references to DSM in remmina preferences (or Google searches for that matter).
I will say the remmina viewer works ok with other VNC servers.
Hmm... is a cli command for VNC to disable DSM?

Mark_C, I was wondering if you have tried the VNC server with your Luci pet you created?

Edit1: Mark_C's remmina has the same issues.
Edit2: I did try the x11vnc pet which worked intranet port:0. Next test will be internet; via router port: 5901 or something other than 0 (or 1).

JackWagon
Last edited by JackWagon on Sat 09 Oct 2010, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Mark_C

Re: Remmina

#8 Post by Mark_C »

You might try running X11VNC, I tried that this morning and it worked for serving up a connection to my desktop.
Accessed it from my laptop running Remmina as the viewer.
x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27424

Mark

JackWagon wrote:
jemimah wrote: (not to mention it supports VNC (both client and server!)
The remmina VNC server in Fluppy has not worked out for me yet. I tried remmina viewer to remmina server with no success.
So, I though I would try a UltraVNC viewer to remmina server; and after a while I did get the time out error about a DSM plugin. :( The UltraVNC viewer I was using was not configured with a DSM plugin enabled or different rfb protocol. I'm sure I am doing something wrong.
I can't find any DSM files in Fluppy or references to DSM in remmina preferences (or Google searches for that matter).
I will say the remmina viewer works ok with other VNC servers.
Hmm... is a cli command for VNC to disable DSM?

Mark_C, I was wondering if you have tried the VNC server with your Luci pet you created?

Edit Mark_C's remmina has the same issues. Uggg

JackWagon

JackWagon

#9 Post by JackWagon »

Mark_C wrote:You might try running X11VNC, I tried that this morning and it worked for serving up a connection to my desktop.
x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet
I wish I had the skills to hack the xllvncserver pet. it would be great if there were an option in the GUI to change the listening port number. For security reasons, I'm not a fan of using default ports through my router.
JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Fri 15 Oct 2010, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mark_C

#10 Post by Mark_C »

It would be nice to have that option in the GUI, I am not smart enough to make that happen though.
You can start it from the command line and tell it what port to use.
Something like
x11vnc -rfbport
I think I tried that last weekend, there was a problem that I figured out but I am not sure how I fixed it.
If I remember correctly starting it from the command line the password did not work, I believe it was looking for a different folder for where the password was stored.
If I remember correctly I issued
x11vnc -usepw
It prompted me for a password. I entered a password and it created a hidden folder and created the password in there.
After that I could use the following from the command line.
x11vnc -rfbauth -rfbport 5901(port number you want)

I am doing this all from memory so, I could have something wrong but I think that is correct.

You could also make this a batch file to where you just click on it to run it.

JackWagon wrote:
Mark_C wrote:You might try running X11VNC, I tried that this morning and it worked for serving up a connection to my desktop.
x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet
i wish i had the skills to hack the xllvncserver pet. it would be great if there were an option in the gui to change the listening port number. for security reasons, i'm not a fan of using default ports through my router.
jw

pinoyboy

Remmina is great Remote Desktop Client

#11 Post by pinoyboy »

Remmina is a great remote desktop client for VNC, and Remote Desktop Protocol. I connect to Windows based clients at times and using this with FreeRDP is the best solution - above all, it has TABBED interface which allows you to switch back and forth between various machines easily.

When I execute the PET included in this Forum, it says "FAILED TO EXECUTE CHILD PROCESS RDESKTOP" - how do I link this to the correct application? It actually is suppose to use FreeRDP - a better / faster (in my experience) RDP utility.

Any input kindly requested.

Thank you.

heiko

remmina-0.9.2 with remmina-plugins-0.9.1 and freerdp-0.8.2

#12 Post by heiko »

I'm running Puppy 5.2 and installed remmina-0.9.2, remmina-plugins-0.9.1 and freerdp-0.8.2 from pet packages I found on distro.ibiblio.org.

When I run remmina I can see all the protocols available through the plugins except RDP. I read that freerdp is required , and I installed it, but remmina doesn't give me any rdp option.

There may be some libraries missing for freerdp to run, but I can't figure out which, if any, are missing.

I previously had installed the remmina 0.7.4 version that's in the regular Puppy repositories, but it didn't work well with resizing the remote desktop.

I run the latest remmina on the remote host (Ubuntu/Linux Mint) where it works fine and resizes the desktop if necessary.

Background: I like to use a Puppy laptop to remote desktop to a Linux Mint (Ubuntu) machine running a Windows XP VM inside VirtualBox. VirtualBox only allows RDP (or VRDP) to connect to the virtual machine, there is no VNC, NX etc. support.

Your help is appreciated.

heiko

#13 Post by heiko »

Sorry folks - I double posted the question above in a separate thread. (I thought I could delete my post above, but alas...).

Never mind, I found the answer to the problem and described it in this thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66605

Hope it helps.