Wary Puppy 0.9 (090) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Seamonkey 2.08

#41 Post by Billtoo »

DaveS wrote:Maybe no dbus is a poor choice? It makes it hard to add Firefox or upgrade Seamonkey.
I compiled dbus-1.4.0.tar.gz + dbus-glib-0.88.tar.gz which allowed me
to compile seamonkey-2.0.8.source.tar.bz2.
Updating from within seamonkey-2.0.7 (if it worked) would have been easier but not as much fun. :)

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:
Lobster wrote:Any plans to include a 'generic' quickpet in Wary - Mick01 is working on this
Is easy package installation bling?
Yeah, a quickpet helper thingy would be most useful to enable people to quickly install the best video driver for their hardware.

01micko's new Nvidia PET for Wary is a good example of that.

We can also have ATI PETs.

I'm going to have a go at creating some special Intel Xorg PETs for more recent video hardware.
Well, the first thing most users change is the browser..(re DaveS, James C and Firefox, Sage and Opera) offering at least browsers and video drivers in a 'quickpet' style would be advantageous. Dependencies must be met too, and since Wary has no dbus (which Firefox needs and I think Opera and Chrome) I would need to add functionality for that.

Currently Quickpet now reads the "Packages-puppy-*-official" file in ~/.packages so it can be used in any Puppy. I am working on using included icons from /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons to trim the package. Also streamlining the code and working out any bugs. So far it works in Wary, without Lupu branding too. It should work fine in Quirky, Spup and Dpup.

Quickpet is also doing a free-space check and will refuse to download if you haven't got at least 40MB free after installation

What I need to do is make a config for the 'Benevolent Dictator' to edit so that he/she can put in as much or as little as they like. Anyway, this belongs in it's own thread! Soon...

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

yarddog

Wary Puppy 0.0 (090) feedback

#43 Post by yarddog »

when start gnumeric from icon and attempt to format cells, program immediately closes

when open gnumeric from command line and attempt to format cells
receive
Segmentation fault

have seen this is earlier versions - believe something to do with goffice
missing applications

have installed
puppy browser - personal favorite for viewing swf files
wbar
sakura terminal
puppy control panel (pcp2)
these are working
yarddog

rjbrewer

#44 Post by rjbrewer »

A few observations; mostly full installs. 2.6.35.7

Ogle DVD player plays the dvds' that mplayer can't handle.
The video clarity and stability is better than any media player I've
tried before.

I replaced 2.07 Seamonkey with 1.1.18 Seamonkey in order to have
mms and rtsp streams. Works great and reduces size by 45mb.
(uncompressed).
edit; size remains basically about the same after adding 1.1.18.

The Dell 700m (intel855gm graphics) works fine by choosing i810 in
xorg setup; no problems with the ati or via chips on the older boxes.

Added htop and cpu-temp (rcrsn51).

Right clicking drive icons pops up menu instead of drive info; need
to restart x to make it work.
If I mount sda1 (Xp), the blue ball won't go away when I unmount it.

Overall, this is a good 4.3.1 replacement.
Please don't let it become a lupu-luci clone.
Last edited by rjbrewer on Sun 10 Oct 2010, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

broomdodger

xrdb -query fails wary090 ok quirky130

#45 Post by broomdodger »

xrdb -query
wary090 fails
quirky130 ok

Well... all of xrdb fails in wary090

Terryphi

Re: openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs crash

#46 Post by Terryphi »

Terryphi wrote:When I try to open OpenOffice using openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs on Wary090_kernel2.6.35.7 Wary freezes when the OO splash screen appears.
The only way out is a dirty shutdown.
I see that the OpenOffice crash has been confirmed by another user. I had assumed that it was caused by the lack of dbus in Wary 090. I added the 4 dbus* packages from the Quirky repository (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... es-quirky/ .) This had no effect and OO still crashed and froze Wary requiring a dirty shutdown.

So, could it be a recurrence of the OO crash reported and discussed in the Quirky 010 feedback thread? :

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53658

panda_watch

#47 Post by panda_watch »

Everything looks brilliant in this release. It is the first of the new releases (Quirky, Slackpup, Wary 0.6, Lucid) to correctly load my wifi internet connection, remember it on reboot, and not drop out regularly. for no reason.

I get the following error message when I try to use flSynclient:

"Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?"

After I click okay it then ends the program. Anyone else getting this error?

Sage

#48 Post by Sage »

Later on sound... obmixer will not uncheck the mute checkbox on this hardware (old sblive vibralux), so I installed retrovol from quirky in PPM and deleted obmixer_tray from ~/Startup and all is well.
Sadly, this is a personal triumph, not a permanent fix, which will need a BK permanent revision. Have managed to get sound working on some machines now but cannot find the mixer?

Starting a DVD is tortuous. Eventually, it worked but no idea how. Most distros now start CD/DVD playback automatically when the disc is inserted.

SM plays its usual sillyB s, although when it does work it's reasonably fast - just arcane, and counter-intuitive, etc. Continues to undermine some very clever coding.

Whatever happened to flash booting, Menuet and MeanPup ?

BK blog seems to be down this morning(UK)/evening(Au).

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

01m:
Well, the first thing most users change is the browser...
Very highly rated, but maybe not available in linux compiled format yet(???), is Iron, the version of Chrome with all the Google nonsense (and bloat) stripped out of it.
If I were a coder, which I am not, this might be a fertile project for my effort, esp. to eliminate my pet (sorry for the pun) hate that constantly drags this dog into the dust.
There is enough talent around here to produce a .pet Iron in short order.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

Sage

Here is a pet prepared for lucid, not compiled in lucid, it was a static compile by the SRWare mob.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet (it's fairly large at 25M :shock: )

It may work in Wary, I can't test it right now, can later.

Note: It wont work on P3 or older Athlons, so it isn't really for old machines.

Cheers

Sage

#51 Post by Sage »

Most grateful, 01m.
Presently trying to work out why only some of the InterWeb is functioning and the rest is slow. Guessing, it's anything outside Europe that isn't available, since late pm yesterday, here in Blighty?
Cannot get at ibiblio at present.

Terryphi

#52 Post by Terryphi »

Sage wrote:Presently trying to work out why only some of the InterWeb is functioning and the rest is slow. Guessing, it's anything outside Europe that isn't available, since late pm yesterday, here in Blighty?
Cannot get at ibiblio at present.
No problem here, Sage, everything has been speeding along all day. It must be specific to your ISP or exchange.

01micko

#53 Post by 01micko »

Sorry Sage but Iron is a no go on Wary without ALOT of work :( . Too much for me ATM.

Cheers

Sage

#54 Post by Sage »

Thanks for the tip, Tp. I'm with Talktalk - they've been in the news a lot recently for all the wrong reasons and featured on Watchdog a week or so back. Their performance is distinctly patchy - I was getting 19mbs until a few weeks ago, then it dropped to ~5mbs - throttling, I suspect. Their customer service is truly appalling, if at all; the problems seem to be at the most senior management/boardroom level.
OK, 01m, nice try - we'll have to await those who can...
Last edited by Sage on Sun 10 Oct 2010, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

xman

#55 Post by xman »

Chromeplus (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56663) is very good substitute for Chrome or Iron in Wary 030 (and XP), but slow in Quirky 130. I haven’t tried Wary 090 yet.

Sage

#56 Post by Sage »

ISP/exchange! Everything just came back with a bang - all my 'Try Again' s lit up...

Brown Mouse

#57 Post by Brown Mouse »

01micko wrote:Here's the nvidia driver for k2.6.35.7 packaged. It's the latest 256.59 from the nvidia site.

Works for me and not bad at 15MB. There are details of what cards it is supposed to support.

Cheers
Hi 01micko

unfortunately I've tried both these drivers and others for my Geforce210 card and nothing will work so far.
Any further advice appreciated.

rerwin

Wait for substitute agrsm upgrade!

#58 Post by rerwin »

Agere modem users,
I have attached a package to simplify upgrading Agere modem support in Wary09. It combines "patch-3", its supporting pup_event_backend_modprobe...-5/6 update, and cleanup code to remove no-longer-used firmware tarballs. In addition, its contents now generate /etc/modprobe.d files with the ".conf" suffix.

To use it, please install it first, then install any or all of the "agrsm" packages posted here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 585#456585
for the 2.6.30.5 kernel only.

To try this with the 2.6.35.7 kernel, install it alone. It will use the existing 11c11040 variant moved into the new directory structure. The alternatives that Barry has compiled for 2.6.35.7 can also be used, as long as they install into /lib/modules/2.5.35.7/agrmodem/048pci (or 06pci, as appropriate).

Either way, do not install the patch-4 package, as it is already in the attached package.

UPDATE 10/15/2010: Uploaded a replacement package that passes all my tests. After installing this package, do the following:
- Install the three agrsm packages mentioned above for the 2.6.30.5 kernel. For other kernels, use Barry's compilations.
- Run depmod-FULL.
- Run pupdial, CHOOSE > ERASE, even if no modem has been detected.
- Reboot.

Please be sure to install the variant for 11c11040, even though it does not work in wary, yet. It is a vital part of the implementation, but expects to run with ALSA 1.0.20, as in puppy 4.3.1 (where it was compiled). Wary needs a compilation made with the ALSA version to be used in wary, because it works with the ALSA HDA sound driver. Operationally right now, that variant simply will not load; but the other variants will for the appropriate Agere modems. To test 11c11040 modems, please use the "patch-4" with a 4.3.1-based puppy.

Barry, when incorporating this into woof: This package uses absolute softlinks, but also has code for relative links. To use the relative links, please delete two identified "ls" commands in the pinstall.sh script. Note, too, that the agrsm-tarball pinstall.agrsm.sh script uses depmod-FULL, which should probably be retained for backward compatibility.

UPDATE 10/18/2010: Updated the patch to include a final fix for the Agere HDA modems, in pup_event_background_modprobe, thanks to peebee's help.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 18 Oct 2010, 20:21, edited 3 times in total.

drblock2

OpenOffice freezes up system

#59 Post by drblock2 »

A number of people have reported that opening OpenOffice 3.1/3.2 sfs files cause the system to freeze up necessitating a cold reboot (pressing the restart button).

Apparently, there is a problem with the newer kernel. I replaced the three crucial files: initrd.gz, vmlinuz and wary_090.sfs with those from the "retro" kernel 2.6.30.5 version and OpenOffice opened with no problem.

One other small problem with the 2.6.35.7 version. Pnethood has the old bug requiring something to be entered in the user and password fields to open unsecured servers. Clarf's Pnethood 0.66 announced in BK's blog fixes this nicely.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60672>

Otherwise, beautiful and breathtakingly fast.

Billtoo

#60 Post by Billtoo »

Brown Mouse wrote:
01micko wrote:Here's the nvidia driver for k2.6.35.7 packaged. It's the latest 256.59 from the nvidia site.

Works for me and not bad at 15MB. There are details of what cards it is supposed to support.

Cheers
Hi 01micko

unfortunately I've tried both these drivers and others for my Geforce210 card and nothing will work so far.
Any further advice appreciated.
I'm running wary 090 kernel 2.6.35.7 live with a save file on an Acer
AX1200-E1651A pc.
VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation GeForce 8200
To get accelerated graphics I installed the wary_devx_090.sfs
and kernel_src-2.6.35.7-patched.sfs files.There is a link to the
kernel source sfs on Barry's blog.
I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run from the nvidia drivers
download site.
I went to /sbin and renamed depmod to olddepmod and then renamed
depmod-FULL to depmod.
Now exit to the prompt and go to the directory where you have the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run file and do
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run" no quotes, and the install will begin.
When the install is finished restart x with xwin.
I now have accelerated graphics on this pc.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 090

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP77 Board - mcp78pvo Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
#card0driver

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Nexuiz runs well :)